Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Bought a Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker + Paramilitary 2 Knife

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Just Bought a Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker + Paramilitary 2 Knife

Just Bought a Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker + Paramilitary 2 Knife

My Camillus Cuda...My EDC for several years was heavy & menacing looking so i looked for an alternative & bought the Spyderco ATR which didn't pan out (Don't like this one as the Compression Lock is integrated, actually part of the handle scale and my being left handed it bites me everytime when opening the blade, also don't like the pocket clip.) Its now my computer room box opener etc..

This led to a Kershaw Random Task 11 which was nice but too small for my hands & i had to use a Dremel grinder to open up the left side near the thumb stud to allow me to get a better purchase for my thumb when opening it (I did an excellent job their & you can't notice it at all) which has now led me to the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 which so far seems the best yet. Sized just right, wicked edge and 4 way clip so it can be used left hand carry, tip up or down. I bought the new black version with black blade & clip that sits the knife low in my pocket & doesn't draw attention to itself. So far just excellent & much lighter as well.

I purchased the Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker sharpening system with it as i heard nothing but good things about it and the Smith's Precision Sharpening Kit i have is a pain in the A$$ to use. Works well but fiddly.

Well yesterday i set out the day to try the Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker & it is a treat to use and the results are first rate. I went through all my kitchen knives, pocket knives etc and man it sure puts an edge on them. No oil or lube required either so no mess to clean up. Very pleased with it. Its set up to do both 30 as well as 40 degree angles & serrated edges also. Plus a million other uses from scissors to fish hooks. It comes with a DVD and a booklet which walks you through pretty much everything.

Having finished all my knives, i took the sharpening rods one coarse & one finish and used them on their own to try to put an edge on my Cold Steel Kukri Machete i use for branch trimming on my property. 5 minutes and it was cutting paper very nicely, didn't bother putting a real fine edge on it as it would dull too quickly i think.

Camillus Cuda Serrated & Left Hand Model
    http://camillusknives.narod2.ru/1mai...2sl.shtml~main

Spyderco ATR Stainless Steel
    http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=118

Kershaw Random Task 11
    http://www.kershawknives.com/product...&brand=kershaw

SPYDERCO C81GPBK2 PARAMILITARY 2 BLACK BLADE
    http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=625

SPYDERCO 204MF TRIANGLE SHARPMAKER.
    http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

COLD STEEL 97KMS KUKRI MACHETE FIXED BLADE KNIFE
    http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/csstoreonline_2223_19310060

As i was looking up sites for the various knives i just remembered i also have a very old and ratty large Buck Folder in my truck a Victorinox Camping Folder in my right jeans pocket & a Laguiole Knife sitting next to my laptop for letter opening and CD wrappers as well. I just love the look & feel of the Laguiole Knife. The residents of Laguiole in France maintain that Napoleon gave them the exclusive right to make this knife because of their bravery in battle.

Laguiole Knife
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...t=1,51222&ap=1

Victorinox Camping Folder
    http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Hiking...mper-knife.jsp

-----

It has suddenly dawned on me that i have a crapload of knives & only two hands.

---

regards

minir

Blog Entries
    That's a pretty nice collection you have
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Quote Originally Posted by minir View Post
    I purchased the Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker sharpening system with it as i heard nothing but good things about it

---

regards

minir

Been using that sharpener for 10 years and it's great, I'm sure you'll love it. My only beef with it is that I lent it to co-workers who sharpened everything they could find and the plastic base got carved out a bit where the ceramic rods are inserted. Still works fine but a little wobbly. That was just over the past few years though, before that it was still rock solid. Still does a fine job. Most of my blades are 1/2 and 1/2 and it gets the serrations really well.

You might want to look into the after-market diamond rods for it, never tried them but would love to if I had the money to burn.
    http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-204D-.../dp/B000WUKFBM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    That's a pretty nice collection you have
    ---

Thanks Philip.

When i gave up skeet shooting & hunting in general i got rid of some nice fixed blade hunting knives which i thought i no longer needed. Wish i had kept them now as i gave them away to a couple of friends at the time.

I've always carried a folder with me since a very young boy when it was okay to do so & feel naked without one. You don't realize how often you use one till you don't have one. Why the publics aversion to someone carrying a knife in a responsible manner is beyond me.

Have a good one

---

regards

Larry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Been using that sharpener for 10 years and it's great, I'm sure you'll love it. My only beef with it is that I lent it to co-workers who sharpened everything they could find and the plastic base got carved out a bit where the ceramic rods are inserted. Still works fine but a little wobbly. That was just over the past few years though, before that it was still rock solid. Still does a fine job. Most of my blades are 1/2 and 1/2 and it gets the serrations really well.

You might want to look into the after-market diamond rods for it, never tried them but would love to if I had the money to burn.
    http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-204D-.../dp/B000WUKFBM
    ---

Hi Humboldt

Good to hear your happy with the Sharpmaker Humboldt. So far i'm quite impressed as well. I have tried being careful with the strokes to avoid hitting the base but over time i guess its inevitable.

I have a mixture of serrated blades as well and yes i agree it does a fine job their. I did my bread knife also and it really perked it up.

The diamond rods look good and perhaps down the road i may look into it but my next purchase will be a good strop i think.. Wish i had the one my Dad used to tan my A$$ with back in the day, was a dandy.

Take care Humboldt

---

regards

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by minir View Post
    ---

Hi Humboldt

Good to hear your happy with the Sharpmaker Humboldt. So far i'm quite impressed as well. I have tried being careful with the strokes to avoid hitting the base but over time i guess its inevitable.

---

regards

Larry
    Main problem isn't slicing the base as much as people having trouble inserting the rods, then putting too much pressure on them while sharpening. The holes get worn and widen a bit, so the rods wobble in them.

If it's in a safe spot I just leave mine set up.

Still the only sharpener I would buy again.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    //makes mental note not to mess with Minir!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Main problem isn't slicing the base as much as people having trouble inserting the rods, then putting too much pressure on them while sharpening. The holes get worn and widen a bit, so the rods wobble in them.

If it's in a safe spot I just leave mine set up.

Still the only sharpener I would buy again.
    ---

Hi Humboldt

Good idea, i may just leave it set and eliminate that problem Humboldt...Thanks

It is by far the easiest and best sharpener i have ever had Humboldt. I have a Meyerco Sharpen-It Sharpener
    http://www.meyercousa.com/meyercor-sharpen-ittm.html that i carry in my truck and a Norton Double Stone along with my Smiths that i have used over the years and this beats them all. Highly recommended.

Have a great day

Larry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    //makes mental note not to mess with Minir!
    ---

Screw with me & I'll Cut You Biotch

Larry

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Lol!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Have you ever checked out a mini griptillian from Benchmade? Doesn't fit as well in the pocket (it is not slab sided), but I like the ergonomics better. The PM2 definitely has a HUGE and loyal following so there must be something to them

I do need some sharpening stones and think I need to go with some diamond ones. Apparently the new steels are painfully slow with some of the stones that are out there. Once again folks are big into the Sharpmakers, I blame my experience with user error and not the system (shut the hell up Humboldt).

I recently got a Benchmade Bone Collector and really do like it, but I still want a full sized Griptilian. Once you start....

Quote Originally Posted by De Plano View Post

Once again folks are big into the Sharpmakers, I blame my experience with user error and not the system (shut the hell up Humboldt).
    Don't shoot the messenger.

Hey! I am not going to shoot the messenger. Kick him in the ding ding sure, but shooting totally misses the tactile experience that would be the satisfaction in the situation

Hey! I am not going to shoot the messenger. Kick him in the ding ding sure, but shooting totally misses the tactile experience that would be the satisfaction in the situation
    Why bother sharpening your knives, given the rate you lose them at?

Why bother sharpening your knives, given the rate you lose them at?
    btw I have some nice Benchmades if you want, cheap.

Blog Entries
    Have you ever checked out a mini griptillian from Benchmade? Doesn't fit as well in the pocket (it is not slab sided), but I like the ergonomics better. The PM2 definitely has a HUGE and loyal following so there must be something to them

I do need some sharpening stones and think I need to go with some diamond ones. Apparently the new steels are painfully slow with some of the stones that are out there. Once again folks are big into the Sharpmakers, I blame my experience with user error and not the system (shut the hell up Humboldt).

I recently got a Benchmade Bone Collector and really do like it, but I still want a full sized Griptilian. Once you start....
    ===

Good Evening De Plano

I must admit i have not tried the Benchmade lineup. Having looked at the Mini Griptillian and watching a couple of Youtube reviews it seems like a very nice piece of work and well respected. I do have large hands and feel more comfortable with a larger grip but really that needs to be tried to know what does and doesn't fit well.. My Random 11 is just a bit too small for me for example. Not much just a bit where the PM2 is just right.

The Benchmade Bone Collector looks like a good one as well. We all look for something more it seems as time goes on.

The Chris Reeve Sebenza 21 - Large is one i would like to personally try & then decide on as a last purchase due to price. If it is all they say then it doesn't leave anyplace more to go. One day hopefully i will get a chance to do so.

The Sharpmaker is a no brainer for me and eliminates all the guess work & with my failing eyesight it seems will be my final purchase in that regard. The diamond stones seem a good idea if replacing or buying new.

There is such an array of knives available now there is always something new that sounds better than anything we have but i am a believer that getting really comfortable with what you have and keeping it in good shape more than makes up for anything new coming along.

Have Fun & Be Safe

Larry

Hi Larry, thought i would throw in some pennies... I found these by accident when my beloved Gerber AR 3.0 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AR-3.50-Black-Serrated_ful.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	907 was "tactically acquired" by some thieving bastid. I was checking out a police outfitter one day and saw this lovely setting under glass... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0114.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0115.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	909 (the bottom one) CRKT M16-13LE(Law Enforcement) I bought it and loved it immediately. FF a few years later, I thought someone had "acquired" another awesome blade from me so I went to amazon to find another one just like it... and got the M16-12LE Tanto. About a year after i bought that one the original turned up which was awesome not because i didnt lose a knife, but because I got a better fitting knife. The 13 was larger in my hands and pocket so it didnt feel right to me but the 12 was perfect as I have small hands. The 13 has since been retired. Aluminum handles, auto-lock feature on the 12 and a manual lock on the older 13... you can see them on the right picture on the top of the knives above where the pocket clip bolts on.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

Quote Originally Posted by Bastid View Post
    my beloved Gerber AR 3.0 Click image for larger version. 

ID:	907
    Been my every day knife for about 8 years, in my pocket now. Love it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastid View Post
    Hi Larry, thought i would throw in some pennies... I found these by accident when my beloved Gerber AR 3.0 Click image for larger version. 

ID:	907 was "tactically acquired" by some thieving bastid. I was checking out a police outfitter one day and saw this lovely setting under glass... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0114.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0115.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	909 (the bottom one) CRKT M16-13LE(Law Enforcement) I bought it and loved it immediately. FF a few years later, I thought someone had "acquired" another awesome blade from me so I went to amazon to find another one just like it... and got the M16-12LE Tanto. About a year after i bought that one the original turned up which was awesome not because i didnt lose a knife, but because I got a better fitting knife. The 13 was larger in my hands and pocket so it didnt feel right to me but the 12 was perfect as I have small hands. The 13 has since been retired. Aluminum handles, auto-lock feature on the 12 and a manual lock on the older 13... you can see them on the right picture on the top of the knives above where the pocket clip bolts on.
    ---

Hi Bastid & Humboldt

The CRKT M16-12LE looks like a capable knife & CRKT enjoy a good reputation Bastid. Glad it found its way home, hate losing stuff.

The Gerber AR 3's are exceptional looking knives. Very nice styling & they too seem well regarded. They are probably less likely to upset the public due to their style.

---

Enjoy & have care.

Regards

Larry

never bring a knife to a gun fight. Is that right? what movie is that from?