Thread: The ethical hacker group Anonymous hacked GoDaddy today

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

The ethical hacker group Anonymous hacked GoDaddy today

My colleague was trying to log into make some changes for a client of his..was complaining of the site not coming up, wondering if our firewall was having issues with load balancer, all seemed fine. Noticed some chatter at other tech sites..just noticed this headline
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...esponsibility/
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks for posting.

yeah this was an interesting surprise. I got a call from a client that relies heavily on GoDaddy for email. It was kinda funny because I didn't know about the incident yet and so I went through all my usual troubleshooting (smart host in SBS2008) until I got to the point that I was like... uhhh.. really? Is GoDaddy's DNS down or something? Are you kidding me? Surely it would make headlines in the news. *goes to google - godaddy down BAM! breaking news articles only minutes old fill my search results.

I called my client back and told them GoDaddy got hacked and thats why they were having trouble. I could tell that she thought I was kidding at first so I encouraged her to attempt to go to godaddy.com and once that failed, I asked her to google exactly what I did and then it finally sank in. lol

What really surprised me is that it seemed to take GoDaddy over 6 hrs or more to mitigate a DDOS attack and some services are still apparently up and down and not yet stable. That's insane!
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Wow that's a big one! Like others mentions, Surprised this wasn't all over the news! I have not heard fo any side effects from anyone I know

Blog Entries
    GoDaddy's CEO is now denying the DDoS .. http://www.speedguide.net/news/godad...anonymous-4870
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

I dunno if I would call them ethical.

ethical hacker group Anonymous = oxymoron

The truth is that someone claiming to be a member of Antisec claims that he is responsible for the Godaddy outage and has hacked Godaddy's network. Godaddy says the outage was due to corrupted router tables and that they were not hacked. The Antisec member has not proven that he actually hacked Godaddy, all he did was post a rar file with some python scripts which look more like opensource scripts available at google code site, one of which is named godaddy.py.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    I dunno if I would call them ethical.
    It is very odd for them to claim the Godaddy problem...usually they don't go after stuff that has so much collateral damage to innocents.
    Then again..I later read it was one person from Anonymous that made the claim, not the entire group. And now..a few days after the fact, there's all sorts of conflicting reports.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

#Tangodown-GoDaddy-I watched it all unfold and it was not the collective, just one person in Brazil I think it was.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates