Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When will TCP Optimizer support Windows 8 & Windows Server 2012?

When will TCP Optimizer support Windows 8 & Windows Server 2012?

Same as title.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I'm not aware of major changes in the TCP/IP stack in Windows 8, we'll look into it when it is closer to release next month to identify any possible changes.

Update: Our Windows 8 TCP/IP Tweaks article and recommendations are listed here:
    http://www.speedguide.net/articles/w...ip-tweaks-5077

i tried the tweaks found here http://www.speedguide.net/articles/w...08-tweaks-2574 and they do not work.

Sorry for doing this, but..
    BUMP.

Any news regarding the SG TCP Optimizer for Win8/Serv2012?
    I'll receive a brand new Intel i350-T2 in a few days, I would love to get most of the tweaking done in a fast and painless way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodcore View Post
    Sorry for doing this, but..
    BUMP.

Any news regarding the SG TCP Optimizer for Win8/Serv2012?
    I'll receive a brand new Intel i350-T2 in a few days, I would love to get most of the tweaking done in a fast and painless way.
    No worries. For Windows 8, at the moment you have to right click the executable and choose Run as Administrator. Then it will work properly. The same goes for a shortcut.

Thank you for the reply!

So, there is no difference between Win7 and Win8/Serv2012 network registries?
    The only difference is that people have to run an elevated command prompt?

Sounds too good to be true, but I have plenty of time for testing.

Blog Entries
    We're not aware of any major changes to TCP/IP from Windows 7/2008 server to Windows 8. The need for elevated command prompt and running the TCP Optimizer as administrator have been there since Vista.

I registered here just to respond to this post.

The TCP Optimizer DOES NOT work with Windows 8. Half of the options are missing and those that are there do not stick. I have tried Administrator Mode and Compatibility Mode (Windows 7 and Windows Vista) as well. When using Compatibility Mode, more options are present but they also do not stick. Something has definitely changed from Windows 7 to now. In fact, I will downgrade to Windows 7 tomorrow just to get back to "normal". Driver Enforcement signatures and restricted TCP/IP options make me a dull boy.
    Last edited by bjoswald; 11-16-12 at 11:28 PM.

FFS if you have 7 or 8 just leave it the hell alone.

Then what's the point of the tool? If nobody is supposed to tweak Windows 7, then the download page should be ammended to say "XP only". Like I always say, "If it ain't broke, tweak it!"

Quote Originally Posted by bjoswald View Post
    Then what's the point of the tool? If nobody is supposed to tweak Windows 7, then the download page should be ammended to say "XP only". Like I always say, "If it ain't broke, tweak it!"
    I have used it on 7 and (attempted on 8) all it does is screw everything up.

Blog Entries
    It certainly does not "screw everything up"..

We'll look into the Windows 8 permissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    It certainly does not "screw everything up"..

We'll look into the Windows 8 permissions.
    Oh c'mon. It doesn't improve performance in any way- I have tested it in a variety of situations. It works well for XP and Vista (somewhat) but beyond that it accomplishes nothing. Yes it does "screw things up". Every time I have used it with 7 or 8 it slows everything down. I do realize that this was a once useful tool but it has now become irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    Oh c'mon. It doesn't improve performance in any way - I have tested it in a variety of situations. It works well for XP and Vista (somewhat) but beyond that it accomplishes nothing. Yes it does "screw things up". Every time I have used it with 7 or 8 it slows everything down. I do realize that this was a once useful tool but it has now become irrelevant.
    How can it work well with Vista but not 7? Windows 7 is nothing more than Windows Vista with a few tweaks. The networking stack is almost identical (if not identical). As far as I know, the TCP Optimizer does not shut off the auto-tuning feature - and the other tweaks are more or less supplemental - so I don't see how anything could get broken. FWIW, I have used this tool for years without any issue (excluding Windows 8) so I'd be sad to see it go because a few people don't like it.

Looks more and more like I'll have to do things manually.
    Oh well, 70% of the registry changes I'll need to do isn't in the tool, probably because they are mostly for the dedicated NIC and some can cause instability.
    (Requires testing on each system.)

I'll keep checking this thread and announcements to see if there'll be an update.

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    Oh c'mon. It doesn't improve performance in any way- I have tested it in a variety of situations. It works well for XP and Vista (somewhat) but beyond that it accomplishes nothing. Yes it does "screw things up". Every time I have used it with 7 or 8 it slows everything down. I do realize that this was a once useful tool but it has now become irrelevant.

It's probably something else in your computer that is the issue.

After a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate:

After running Speedguide's TCP Optimizer:

Ever since coming here, I've used the TCP Optimizer with great results.

Hi,

Any update on Windows 8 support? It seems that some NETSH TCP commands have been deprecated or replaced by commands via Windows Power Shell.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Power Shell used to simply run netsh commands in previous OSes, what are the exact commands you have problems with ?

Here is the list, for reference: http://www.speedguide.net/articles/w...08-tweaks-2574

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Power Shell used to simply run netsh commands in previous OSes, what are the exact commands you have problems with ?

Here is the list, for reference: http://www.speedguide.net/articles/w...08-tweaks-2574
    Hi, thanks for the quick reply. The reason for the request was that TCP has changed in Windows 8 and so not all the commands listed in the article or via the optimizer tool work.

One example is that NetDMA has been deprecated - see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

Another example is that Congestion Control Provider can no longer be set with the command netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider, as the command has been deprecated. It seems to have been replaced with the command netsh int tcp set supplemental <template> where there are four templates (one being internet). It also seems the values for each template (such as CongestionProvider) need to be done via PowerShell (e.g. set-nettcpsetting -CongestionProvider CTCP). There are different views about this in the following article http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...5-b530c9dab7e0

There maybe other changes as well, I am no TCP expert.

I also note that the TCP Optimzer tool needs to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode to show anything meaningful, and can only update some of the settings due to the changes mentioned above.

I believe the optimizer tools and your article need updating for Windows 8 to cater for these changes. Your site and tools have been very valuable over the years and I was hoping they will cover Windows 8 in the near future.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    We will definitely update the information/Optimizer, I expect to have a Windows 8 testing machine setup later this month. Thanks for the links..