Thread: Neil Armstrong, first man on the moon, dead at 82

Blog Entries

Unhappy Neil Armstrong, first man on the moon, dead at 82

Lisa Cornwell and Seth Borenstein
    The Associated Press

CINCINNATI — Neil Armstrong was a soft-spoken engineer who became a global hero when as a steely-nerved pilot he made “one giant leap for mankind” with a small step onto the moon. The modest man, who had people on Earth entranced and awed from almost a quarter-million miles away, but credited others for the feat, died Saturday. He was 82.

Armstrong died following complications resulting from cardiovascular procedures, his family said in a statement. Armstrong had a bypass operation this month, according to NASA. His family didn’t say where he died; he had lived in suburban Cincinnati.

Armstrong commanded the Apollo 11 spacecraft that landed on the moon July 20, 1969, capping the most daring of the 20th century’s scientific expeditions. His first words after becoming the first person to set foot on the surface are etched in history books and the memories of those who heard them in a live broadcast.

“That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind,” Armstrong said.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/ar...oon-dead-at-82
    ---

minir

Blog Entries
    R.I.P. His death closes a very bright page in history...

I keep thinking back to my childhood, when those flights were happening. I can remember the count downs being put on hold for what seemed like hours and I'd fall asleep in the chair waiting for lift off. Most definitely a memorable man and event.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

oh man, he was a true legend, as were all the Apollo astronauts , is it strange that i was watching the dvd for all mankind today ?

R.I.P. spaceman Neil

Blog Entries
    I remember as a kid being at my grandparents house going through all of their issues of National Geographic (they had them all the way back to the 40s), and being especially interested in the issues that dealt with the space program (Mercury, Gemini, Apollo). It was fascinating for me to go through the progression of the space program from its inception to the historic moment when Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon. Some of the issues had early concepts for what the moon landing would be like, and it was always neat to compare that to what the final product was.

It's sad to see Neil pass away before another generation has touched down on the moon. I'm hopeful that I'll see another person on the moon before my time comes.
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    What a big loss R.I.P. Neil Armstrong.

When I was watching the science channel between each show they had RIP Neil Armstrong 8-5-19-1930 to 8-25-2012
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

yea pretty amazing what the trips to the moon meant to us all. It was the dominance of America, the fact that we could do anything, that we were the leaders of the free world and could conquer anything from nazi Germany, Japan, and then 25 years later we are an on the moon. The American century. It just saddens me to see our country in such decline. Debt, shootings, terrorism, and the decline in our power.

I remember I was 8 years old when Armstrong uttered those words. We watched it in our kitchen on a small black and white tube and were just awestruck. Incredible. now, we are a nation in debt, NASA is dead, it all kinda sucks but I don't want it to but dang this new generation plugged up on Iphones, Ipads, farcebook, its just sad to me to see it all come down in a shambles... Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I just call it as I see it. 51 years old I just don't know where we are heading. I'm old school I know and I am thankful for what I have...

"After me the Flood!" --King Louis XVI of France

10,000 years from now they will find his grave and dig up 2 nuts made of steel.

The guy is awesome.
    Nutty like squirrel terds!!!