Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your hobby?

Emerald Triangle looking for EA and some trainwreck!
    Quote Originally Posted by koldchillah View Post
    I play disc golf... A LOT! Everywhere I go. I've played a total of 43 courses in 5 different states and counting. Tomorrow I am playing in the Brevard Cross County Challenge, a 3 round tournament starting at a course in Malabar, FL, then up to Melbourne for round 2, then finishing up in Cocoa with a big BBQ party afterwards.. 3 rounds in summer heat is going to be brutal so I went ahead and packed the cooler full of the essentials (beer & Guinness, and maybe a bottled water or 2).

I call it a hobby. My wife calls it an obsession.

If you don't know what it is think hiking + golf + frisbee. It's basically hiking mostly gorgeous parks while throwing frisbees (a little smaller and sharper than your traditional frisbee) at basket targets that are strategically placed around mostly natural obstacles such as trees, shrubs, lakes, ponds, or hills. Each "hole", or basket-like target with chains to help catch your disc, is typically within 200 - 400ft of a designated "tee pad" which might consist of an elongated concrete slab or rubber mat or marked dirt area from which to throw your "drive". The game is played pretty much the same as traditional golf. The object is to land the disc inside the basket on or before the 3rd throw (most disc golf holes are par 3 but par 4's & 5's do exist) and finish the round with the lowest score possible.

Find a course near you here: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/browse_map.php?mode=map

Thanks for the link. My wife and I have been wanting to play and after I saw your post we went out and bought starter kits and have played twice in the last week. Also we are leaving at 7am tomorrow to play here. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=499 And next Wednesday we are playing at Firefighters park in the nearby courses.

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    Thanks for the link. My wife and I have been wanting to play and after I saw your post we went out and bought starter kits and have played twice in the last week. Also we are leaving at 7am tomorrow to play here. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=499 And next Wednesday we are playing at Firefighters park in the nearby courses.
    Awesome! It's pretty much everywhere.. Hell, even Antartica has a course. lol The nicest courses are usually in some of the most beautiful parks and it's a helluva lot cheaper than ball golf but shares much of the same fundamentals, strategies, and frustrations. Disc golf is a lot easier to learn and improve which is one of the things that makes it so addictive. Once you start playing it doesn't take long until you can throw 250 - 300ft consistently and once you hit a few 30 - 50 foot shots you'll be hooked! That's when you start looking up nice courses in every city you find yourself in.

also check out: www.pdga.com There is an events and tour schedule that will show any sanctioned tournaments in your area. If you and your wife get into it, it's a lot fun to go to tournaments together. There are women divisions and men divisions and I see a lot of couples on the am tour here in FL. These are really fun to play and there is a division for everyone including novices who have only played a few times. I waited 5 years before playing my first tournament and I regret it. Even if you show up as a spectator and watch the lead pros.. They are ridiculous in how far they throw and how accurate and consistent their putts are.

BTW,, that course you linked looks awesome! Have a good time!
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Emerald Triangle looking for EA and some trainwreck!
    Not a beginner course but it was fun! Got out there early and played about 21 holes out of 24, didn't want to lose a disc in the river so we skipped a few holes. Will try them next time after I learn more. Anyways a couple pics from earlier. In the first pic you can see the basket off to the right top, and the second pic was to the side of the 15th hole. It was also a beautiful day here!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	423408_4011616580712_1505624366_n.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	893Click image for larger version. 

Name:	423557_4011744703915_646989854_n.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	894

Beer.

movies movies and more movies!

Quote Originally Posted by BadaBing View Post
    Beer.
    I forgot beer for me too

Every male is lying! They all (at some point) have played the "Skin Flute".

Cain.. that's not considered a hobby, it's a way of life. Reference Seinfeld.

I also own a sailboat, which I drink beer on. I also fish, while drinking beer. I have even been known to golf on occasion, while drinking beer.

Last edited by Dan; 08-20-12 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    ok,speak for yourself,

personally I never have,but hey ! if that's your thing,then there is certainly nothing wrong with that (as Badabing referred to Seinfeld)
    I guess if you play the odds... odds are there is someone in the universe that hasn't 'played the flute.' My guess is.. it's not you.

Back to hobbies.. I also drink beer while drinking beer..

Beer.

Last edited by Dan; 08-20-12 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    "Not that there's anything wrong with that!"
    Last edited by cvoixjames; 08-21-12 at 03:30 AM. Reason: I didn't get it

I want to start my post by saying I'm drinking beer.

Dan, I in no way, meant anything homosexual.. not that theres anything wrong with that, with my comment.

However... having said that, and what I originally meant.. any HETEROSEXUAL male, claiming to have never... umm... personally played a flute.. is lying.

Really? Anyone that says that they haven't is full of ****.

Quote Originally Posted by BadaBing View Post
    I want to start my post by saying I'm drinking beer.

Dan, I in no way, meant anything homosexual.. not that theres anything wrong with that, with my comment.

However... having said that, and what I originally meant.. any HETEROSEXUAL male, claiming to have never... umm... personally played a flute.. is lying.
    I am not going to try to pretend that I understand. just making an observation

p.s. I get it now!
    Last edited by cvoixjames; 08-20-12 at 12:06 PM. Reason: misread of post

Wow, talk about a change in thread direction

I assume Raisin was referring to jerking off (as opposed to blowing someone), changes the whole nature of discussion and recent flurry of insults.

A misinterpreted insult response does no credit to either party, it just gets a good thread locked.

I like waking up every morning, been doing it for over 52 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Wow, talk about a change in thread direction

I assume Raisin was referring to jerking off (as opposed to blowing someone), changes the whole nature of discussion and recent flurry of insults.

A misinterpreted insult response does no credit to either party, it just gets a good thread locked.
    OHHHHH! you meant "its like shaving" (Sienfeld). Like "Chokin' the Bishop!". Sure, I've done that sorry for my misinterperation. Now, what was the topic?

RC --- trucks, choppers and airplanes

Freshwater Fishing

Prospecting and relics

Air guns right now switching to pcp rifles

Tortoises
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata