Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your hobby?

Emerald Triangle looking for EA and some trainwreck!
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Speaking of lobster....the region I live in now made some headlines from a 17 lb lobster caught and sold to a restaurant. One of the restaurant patrons bought the lobster and set it free.
    17 lbs. Name "Larry the Lobster".
    Estimated between 80 to 100 years old
    This lobster was alive during WWII...and probably WWI. He deserved to live. Too big to eat anyways (any lobster over 6 lbs is quite difficult to cook in a way that it's not rubbery..unless you pressure steam cook 'em...and even then I'm sure there's a limit in size that remains tender)
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...w=1347&bih=664

Click on above link to see some Google hits on Larry..the restaurant is about 1.5 miles from my house.

That's awesome!!! Crazy it was alive during WWII and possibly WWI.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    I know I wasn't suggesting that was an actual picture of me...it's one of my favorite David Mann pieces. I don't have long hair...but the woman on the back looks quite a bit like my wife...even same boots that go up past the knees. The picture is just representing what I love to do!

Oh yeah..other hobbies...
    *Cooking
    *Beach bum stuff
    *Boating

I know, I should have put a smiley at the bottom. This or this oh well, just a big misunderstanding.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Photography
    Anything dog-related (well, most things)

Metal-detecting and archery (been years for both though)
    Coin collecting (wheat pennies, buffalo nickels, mercury dimes)

Gardening and landscaping
    Gerber knives

Fixing computers
    Reptile and fish keeping

Making soils (peat moss, coco pith, vermiculite, perlite, sharp sand, green sand, bone meal, blood meal, fish meal, compost, yada yada)
    Compost and vermiculture
    Houseplants

I play disc golf... A LOT! Everywhere I go. I've played a total of 43 courses in 5 different states and counting. Tomorrow I am playing in the Brevard Cross County Challenge, a 3 round tournament starting at a course in Malabar, FL, then up to Melbourne for round 2, then finishing up in Cocoa with a big BBQ party afterwards.. 3 rounds in summer heat is going to be brutal so I went ahead and packed the cooler full of the essentials (beer & Guinness, and maybe a bottled water or 2).

I call it a hobby. My wife calls it an obsession.

If you don't know what it is think hiking + golf + frisbee. It's basically hiking mostly gorgeous parks while throwing frisbees (a little smaller and sharper than your traditional frisbee) at basket targets that are strategically placed around mostly natural obstacles such as trees, shrubs, lakes, ponds, or hills. Each "hole", or basket-like target with chains to help catch your disc, is typically within 200 - 400ft of a designated "tee pad" which might consist of an elongated concrete slab or rubber mat or marked dirt area from which to throw your "drive". The game is played pretty much the same as traditional golf. The object is to land the disc inside the basket on or before the 3rd throw (most disc golf holes are par 3 but par 4's & 5's do exist) and finish the round with the lowest score possible.

Find a course near you here: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/browse_map.php?mode=map
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Quote Originally Posted by koldchillah View Post
    I play disc golf... A LOT! Everywhere I go. I've played a total of 43 courses in 5 different states and counting. Tomorrow I am playing in the Brevard Cross County Challenge, a 3 round tournament starting at a course in Malabar, FL, then up to Melbourne for round 2, then finishing up in Cocoa with a big BBQ party afterwards.. 3 rounds in summer heat is going to be brutal so I went ahead and packed the cooler full of the essentials (beer & Guinness, and maybe a bottled water or 2).

I call it a hobby. My wife calls it an obsession.

If you don't know what it is think hiking + golf + frisbee. It's basically hiking mostly gorgeous parks while throwing frisbees (a little smaller and sharper than your traditional frisbee) at basket targets that are strategically placed around mostly natural obstacles such as trees, shrubs, lakes, ponds, or hills. Each "hole", or basket-like target with chains to help catch your disc, is typically within 200 - 400ft of a designated "tee pad" which might consist of an elongated concrete slab or rubber mat or marked dirt area from which to throw your "drive". The game is played pretty much the same as traditional golf. The object is to land the disc inside the basket on or before the 3rd throw (most disc golf holes are par 3 but par 4's & 5's do exist) and finish the round with the lowest score possible.

Find a course near you here: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/browse_map.php?mode=map
    That sounds pretty cool...I think I played this once before, though it was quite a few years ago. I didn't know it was something people got into. This course if 5.5 miles from me
    http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4163

Currently, I have been getting into Vintage Audio. I have had the same Onkyo tx-520??/DCM KX-212 setup for the last 15 years and has done me well over the years. But a few months ago I got a Technics Receiver from 1980 (yep it's considered vintage for electronics) and then got a set of Polk Monitor 7's and wow these things have such an awesome sound stage. Consequently I don't listen to my DCM's much anymore.
    I spend a good bit of time going to yard sales/goodwill/thrift stores/CL to find cheap vintage stuff and needless to say my speaker collection has grown a bit since the purchase of the 7's:

Paradigm Export Monitors - $75 off CL
    Polk Monitor 10's - $50 thrift store
    Acoustic Research AR2ax's from 1965 - $10 yard sale
    Realistic Minimus 7's - Flea market $20
    I got a pair of Boston Acoustic A70's and JBL L50's for free but they needed refoaming and some other minor work.

My Recievers/Amps:
    Yamaha Mx-2 150wpc @ 8ohms and 230wpc @ 2ohms/Run it with a Yamaha c-4 preamp
    Technics SA-616 - 80wpc (MSRP in 1980 was $680) - I think I like the sound from this one the best, yes even over the Yammie.
    Onkyo TX-5000 - Nice looking with a black tuner face 65wpc
    Nikko NR-1019 - 65wpc got it for free bc it didnt work...just needed main/pre-out jumpers

Roundeye,

That amp build project looks very interesting...do you know what kind of specs it will produce?

Last edited by Dan; 09-07-12 at 01:06 AM.

My latest hobby is personal armory.

The lastest addition to my collection, Springfield XD 40 Sub-Compact...

I forgot about coin collecting. I bought my first Gold a couple of months ago. Don't worry it's in a safe.

Quote Originally Posted by loop2kil View Post
    Roundeye,

That amp build project looks very interesting...do you know what kind of specs it will produce?
    It's 80 + 80 + 160 R, L and sub. Plus I found some op-amps that set a few records. Distortion (.00003) and a few others. Plus I bought an audio Torid transformer. Boy that sumbitch is heavy. I'm having trouble finding a large enough project box. I got these for the right and left. Plus an eight inch and vented enclosure for the bottom end.

Think that's enough for my computer speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    I forgot about coin collecting. I bought my first Gold a couple of months ago. Don't worry it's in a safe.
    It's 80 + 80 + 160 R, L and sub. Plus I found some op-amps that set a few records. Distortion (.00003) and a few others. Plus I bought an audio Torid transformer. Boy that sumbitch is heavy. I'm having trouble finding a large enough project box. I got these for the right and left. Plus an eight inch and vented enclosure for the bottom end.

Think that's enough for my computer speakers.
    Holy crap...Yeah, I think that'll do nicely for basic PC sounds

One day I'm gonna try to fix an old Kenwood KR-4200 receiver from 1973...I haven't really had a lot of time to look at it closely but I know for sure there are leaky caps that will need to be replaced. It's a beautiful piece that deserves a bit of attention to try and resurrect it from the dead. I might need to hit you up on some advice when I do.

Thatís cool, Iíll help all I can.

I had a KR series amp when I was working on audio. That thing was tough. I used it to check a lot of equipment. I did put heavier duty finals in it.

It was in storage until Katrina took it from me.

I'm trying to get back into Archery. I'll have to sell what I have (the stuff I have is worn out) and get some new stuff. I've talked to the wife to see if she'd be interested in taking up archery (3d shooting) and she's showing some interest. I just want to make sure she's serious before I go and drop several hundred on a starter setup for her. I also play guitar but I haven't for almost a year. I saw the drummer I play with this last weekend and he was pushing me to get together again and jam. The only downside to that is that I haven't played for a year and it would take me 3 to 4 weeks of "warming up" in order to be at a point I would be happy with.

Blog Entries
    Besides the obvious networking/computers/geeky stuff:

scuba diving - got into it as a teenager, I have over 1k hours underwater but it's been a while.
    windsurfing - been a while as well
    riding - love going down A1A with my Harley
    boating - don't own one, but my dad did and I've grown around them. A friend of my father circumnavigated the globe solo in a 33ish foot sailboat he built himself, I've been on it to visit.
    coin collecting - I have some Greek and Roman coins... For example, some of Philip II, father of Alexander the Great, etc.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by BMED View Post
    My latest hobby is personal armory.

The lastest addition to my collection, Springfield XD 40 Sub-Compact...
    Nice....considering that...or the S&W SD.40..got it down to those 2.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    How about a Sig Sauer P229

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    How about a Sig Sauer P229
    Beautiful....but well over twice what I feel like paying. I grew up with my father being a gun enthusiast/hobbyist and can appreciate fine guns, but I'm just using to protect the home...I'm not into them as a hobby.
    Plus I'm doing what I can to purchase American brand/American made. I know SIG has some plants in the US...but still, mothership ain't in the US.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

wood working has been a hobby of mine for many years.don't do much now because being on the road driving a truck takes up a lot of time. my wife tells me i need to do more with all the money i have invested in machines and tools.
    also enjoy working on cars or pickups and just fixing things that just don't work right.

Pool (Billiards)
    Darts
    Photography
    Metal Detecting
    Beer
    Bourbon
    Electronics
    Target Shooting with Handguns
    Poker (Holdem)

Non active hobbies
    Calligraphy
    Cartooning
    Building Electronic components
    Handball
    basketball
    Disk Jockey
    Dancing (Nightclubbing)

Fishing
    kayaking

YeOldeStonecat, buy both...one for the bedroom and one for the kitchen, true home protection would be in every room, but it's a start!