Thread: I just bought an older cheap tablet

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just bought an older cheap tablet

Taking a chance on an old Sylvania 7" Android Tablet.. I kept looking around for a sub $60 tablet, and saw it on NewEgg.. I just had to buy it.
    I'm not expecting that much from it.. we'll see how it is when I get it. i bought an additional 8GB micro SD card for it.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Tried the cheaper tablet route when we got the first one for our daughter last year, got some Coby Kyros tablet. At first...seemed decent. But after a while..noticed how poor the touchscreen feedback was, sometimes you'd think you were about to break your finger or crack the surface glass because you had to punch down so hard to get it to respond.

Sent that back and got a Kindle Fire...seems the best fit for a small entry level tablet at a great price, yet still having good quality.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Tried the cheaper tablet route when we got the first one for our daughter last year, got some Coby Kyros tablet. At first...seemed decent. But after a while..noticed how poor the touchscreen feedback was, sometimes you'd think you were about to break your finger or crack the surface glass because you had to punch down so hard to get it to respond.

Sent that back and got a Kindle Fire...seems the best fit for a small entry level tablet at a great price, yet still having good quality.
    I agreed.. my Kindle Fire has turned into my Daughters and Wife's Kindle Fire LOL.. which I love as I can remote into all of my Windows and Linux workstations (RDP / VNC). I just need something cheap for my own stuff, this may work. I find there are "a lot" of cheap Chinese tablets out there.. which I really like.. because the market will get so saturated with them and will lower down soem of the other big name brands out there. This one that I am buying has some potential, it has two mini USB ports and a HDMI port on it. I bought a 8 GB micro SD card for it also for extra storage. But I know it will be on the limited side compare to newer tabs. I'll report back when I get it.. should be here Friday the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    Taking a chance on an old Sylvania 7" Android Tablet shaped piece of plastic.. I kept looking around for a sub $60 plastic brick, and saw it on NewEgg.. I was forced at gun point to buy it.
    I'm not expecting it to power on.. we'll see if the charging unit is in the box when I get it. i bought an additional 8GB micro SD card for it, I hope it can read cards that big and advanced.
    FIXED!

I hope it works for you, but from what I have seen there is about as many unsatisfied customers as there are satisfied ones.

The Kindle Fire and Google Nexus really seem like the best low priced options. I wouldn't waste my money going for anything lower.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    FIXED!

I hope it works for you, but from what I have seen there is about as many unsatisfied customers as there are satisfied ones.

The Kindle Fire and Google Nexus really seem like the best low priced options. I wouldn't waste my money going for anything lower.
    .. Well here is hoping it is all there.. and ok.. should be here tomorrow :-)

Blog Entries
    Well i got the tablet and it is awesome! It has one hdmi port for a external video and 2 usb mini port. I can hook up an external usb hard drive and also a external keyboard to it. The 8gb flash card that i bought is working well. I have the amazon app store on it and i have transferred my apps to it from the app store, that I installed prior on my kindle fire. I got a stylus for it.. it is working better than my fingers but I sometimes make typos. It is on the screen is on the slow side in regard to going from one app to the next, but i can deal with that. Nice listening to music and the bible on it. If i had the money i wold chance it again and buy another. One of the close out outlets around the corner from me has 7 inch tablet case anywhere from $5 to $11 dollars.. so that's my next stop on Saturday. :-)
    Last edited by Shinobi; 08-11-12 at 12:11 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post

What do you use for a tablet YOSC?