Thread: Need help enabling sharing internet connection using win2k8 server r2

Need help enabling sharing internet connection using win2k8 server r2

I have 2 routers, lets name them r1 and r2. the r2 is a dsl modem/ router connected to the isp with dhcp relay enabled. r1 is a router with dhcp relay enabled too. in between them is a hub where one port goes to the r1 and the other to the r2 (with internet connection).

on the r1, side is a cat5 cabled to the windows 2k8 server with dhcp server installed and enabled. win2k8 server has been assigned a static ip as required and an ip add has been reserved for it on the r1 router.

i don't know if my config is right but here's what i did. i have setup 2 scopes on win2k8 dhcp server, one starts with 192.168.0.1 and ends with 192.168.0.100, and another with 192.168.254.1 to 192.168.254.254. all subnet masks are in the 255 ranges.

all client pcs have been configured to obtain ip address dynamically.

1.) here is what i need to do. i want the ip adds of the pcs physically cabled to the r2 router to be in the 192.168.254.xx range while other pcs physically cabled to the r1 router to be assigned with 192.168.0.xx ips, (is this possible?).

when i tried to test the setup all pcs where exclusively given 192.168.0.xx ip addresses even if they were physically cabled to the r2 router and worse they all lost their internet connection.. i may have forgotten to assign my isp's ip address after i have enabled dhcp relay on the r2 router..

2.) can i share r2's internet connection to those pcs physically cabled to the r1 router?

3.) can i centrally manage the assignment of ip addresses using win2k8's dhcp server using the above setup and with 2 scopes above mentioned?
    how should i setup r1 so that i can share r2's internet connection to pcs cabled to r1.

4.) am i out of my mind?.. but please i need some help..

** almost forgot. mac addresses of the 2 routers have been reserved on the dhcp server side and an ip has been assigned to them..

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I'd simplify it......use just one router.
    If you want to use your own router instead of the ISP supplied one, configure the ISP's combo modem/router to run in bridged mode so that you're own router obtains the public IP on its WAN interface, and it's doing the only NAT. Have your Windows Server running DHCP as it should, you don't need DHCP on your router...with active directory you want your own server doing DHCP..and naturally being the DNS service for your entire internal network.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    I'd simplify it......use just one router.
    If you want to use your own router instead of the ISP supplied one, configure the ISP's combo modem/router to run in bridged mode so that you're own router obtains the public IP on its WAN interface, and it's doing the only NAT. Have your Windows Server running DHCP as it should, you don't need DHCP on your router...with active directory you want your own server doing DHCP..and naturally being the DNS service for your entire internal network.
    thanks YeOldeStonecat..

i missed to mention that i have another linksys router in another part of the building and connected to the network via a hub connected to the r2 router. should dhcp relay be enabled in that router too? when i do so, it asks for an ip address. my guess is it either wants the ip address of the isp or the server's static ip. which ip do you think will work to enable both internet connectivity and lan access?

you failed to mention in your post why some pcs have been assigned ip addresses belonging to the 192.168.0.xx range even if they were physically cabled to a router with an assigned scope belonging to the 192.168.254.xx range. (mac address of the r2 have been reserved and assigned a static ip on the server side so too with the r1 router but obviously in the other scope)

i may be asking too much from your end, but i got no choice but to ask from the experts..

You want just 1x DHCP service per network.
    Is your Server a domain controller? Or just in workgroup mode?
    Is this really just one network? Or do you need 2x separate networks for some reason?

Will be a while until I can reply back...probably early evening. Going out 'n about doing some errands but I'll be back later on tonight doing a server migration at a new client.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

thanks for the quick reply YeOldeStonecat,

Yes, i only want one dhcp server for the entire network with different scopes. yes my server is the domain controller (not in workgroup mode) and dhcp server as well. it is only one network with multiple connectivity devices. due to the physical layout of the building and pc locations (some are in the 2nd floor, some in the 1st floor while others are in separate cubicles and building partitions). i had to utilize existing cable runs including devices like the routers and hubs, i am required to make do with what we have with minimal impact on the routine daily activities of the users.

I can't ask for the acquisition of a new server due to budgetary constraints. Hence, the additional handicap and management requires me to "make do with what we have"..

Before i forget, i had no problem connecting computers to the network using only one scope. i have tested it though with the 2 scopes with only one rather absurd observation - the assigned ips were not those that i expected (see my previous post regarding those ip addresses), and the users lost their internet connection when i made their pcs members of the domain (not workgroups anymore).

I have had a bad experience using internet connection sharing (very slow connection) hence as much as possible i don't want to go that route..

thanks in advance.. hope i don't waste anyone's time replying to this post.. i just need help and be clarified or enlightened regarding the setup that i made..

It's still hard to follow your diagram....but generally you want to have 1x IP range...1x network. 1x router....why is there a second router?

Lets start with the basics....if the ISP supplied combo modem/router (gateway) can do the job for you..just leave it as your router. Assuming it's 192.168.1.254, have it as your gateway for the entire network. Kill DHCP on it..your server should be running that. Your server should be handing itself out for DNS too..and looking at itself for DNS.

Lets say your server is 192.168.1.11, 255.255.255.0
    It should use itself for DNS..192.168.1.11
    Its DHCP should hand out IP ranges from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200 (or something like that..depending on your network setup/size)
    Its DHCP should have out 192.168.1.254 for gateway
    Its DHCP needs to hand out 192.168.1.11 for DNS to the clients.

Now..if you need to use your own router because that ISP supplied combo modem/router is too...weak in features...find out how to kill the routing feature of the ISP supplied one and have your own router do the public IP address on its WAN interface. This way, your own router is really the only router on the network..no double NAT.

Just 1 scope..just 1 DHCP
    Just 1 router...just 1 NAT
    Guinness for Strength!!!