Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 download upgrade for $39.99 ?

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Windows 8 download upgrade for $39.99 ?

Seems like Microsoft is finally getting the point about not charging an arm and a leg for O.S. upgrades. I might actually put the OEM version on my laptop to replace Vista.
    I like Windows 7 on my desktop.. I think that will stay on there for a while longer.

What do you guys think?

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...for-39-99.aspx

To upgrade to Mountain Lion will cost $29.99. So you can see that they are trying to compete with Apple in terms of pricing structure. I think $40 is cheap and cant wait to install the new OS.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Its a good price but I'm sticking with Windows 7 for now.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Seems like their only way to get this tabletOS-looking turd out to the masses.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I've never even read on article on it. I see them out there but I figure... why. Win 7 has been flawless in my opinion.

Do not like the Metro UI, Will need to use alot of tweaks to get it to look like 7. Metro makes me feel like im using a giant phone. I have it in a VM and play with it. Prob do a dual boot after release

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    yup...no upgrades for me. If I wanted an interface like that I'd buy an ipad or a samsung.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

That offer is only good until January 2013- they haven't announced pricing after that date. PR stunt if you ask me. Get users to upgrade so they try to create a positive buzz and the others buy into the notion and pay quite a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    Do not like the Metro UI, Will need to use alot of tweaks to get it to look like 7. Metro makes me feel like im using a giant phone. I have it in a VM and play with it. Prob do a dual boot after release
    http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Cheers!

Blog Entries
    Wow YOSC, That's not like you to rip M$

I wouldn't mind it if MS would let the installer detect a touch screen device and if said device doesn't exist, just use a normal GUI. I think this a Win ME/Vista situation again (especially the ME reference).

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    I wouldn't mind it if MS would let the installer detect a touch screen device and if said device doesn't exist, just use a normal GUI. I think this a Win ME/Vista situation again (especially the ME reference).
    They need people to use metro for their cash shop. Only reason I can think of as to why they dotn at elast offer an option of a start menu, as it would help people transitioning over and eliminate a ton of the bad press windows 8 has gotten.

But then MS seems to like wasting money.

I'm dual booting the RP with Windows 7, wanted to give it a good evaluation. Even at that price I'm not interested. It's usable but Metro is not multimonitor friendly or really keyboard mouse friendly for that matter. It might be OK on a tablet or slate but just doesn't do it for me on a desktop or laptop. The default free Microsoft apps like Music and Video are full of adds. I don't need the cloud or adds shoved in my face to watch media I already have on my PC. The whole metro thing seems to be geared towards apps and adds. It gets even worse if you get a ARM tablet with Windows RT. You're regular Windows programs, now referred to as desktop apps, won't run on RT.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    Wow YOSC, That's not like you to rip M$
    I know...they make me a lot of money!
    It's cuz I'm in the business networking world...guess tis why this release doesn't excite me. With tablets and morphed touchscreens gaining in popularity, I see the market for a larger version of a smart phone/tablet OS from MS. But to focus an entire Windows desktop OS release around it....I don't see the logic in what they're doing so far...without a classic themed fork. We'll see what happens closer to release time....as to themes...notably for the Professional versions. I've seen the tricks to kill metro GUI and manually create a start menu.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    I know...they make me a lot of money!
    It's cuz I'm in the business networking world...guess tis why this release doesn't excite me. With tablets and morphed touchscreens gaining in popularity, I see the market for a larger version of a smart phone/tablet OS from MS. But to focus an entire Windows desktop OS release around it....I don't see the logic in what they're doing so far...without a classic themed fork. We'll see what happens closer to release time....as to themes...notably for the Professional versions. I've seen the tricks to kill metro GUI and manually create a start menu.
    Oh me too! They generate a lot of money for me as well.. keep me gainfully employed yada..yada..yada shabba dooba doo..

The logic is have the OS the same on the desktop and the tablet itself probably to try and grab more people to their tablets. Like "Oh, I can operate this.. this is the same as Windows 8!" Don't for as a seasoned, enterprising business network guy such as yourself, mobile devices like tablets connecting to the enterprise are coming the norm now. I support now over 10,000 tablets not to mention smart phones that are on enterprise, that includes mail client apps to exchange and also, RDP / terminal services. For $39.99

I still thinking about buying it for my laptop, just to get used to it as I have done for pretty much all windows operating systems heading back to Windows 2.1. ... but I'm keeping Windows 7 on my desktop for a while. My guess is that Windows 7 will have the long duration as windows XP did. Which imo, is the way it should be.

The logic is have the OS the same on the desktop and the tablet itself probably to try and grab more people to their tablets.
    I agree with you there....what surprises me here, is their "lets put most of our eggs in one basket" approach to pushing a tablet/smart phone OS approach to the desktop....after such a failed history of prior smart phone attempts (Windows Mobile).

Didn't know you managed tablets so much....PM me your e-mail addy so we can have a conversation about that.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

The last rumor I read stated that Microsoft was busy striping out all the unused legacy code tied to the old start menu. They are deliberately trying to prevent any workaround that would enable the classic start menu in Windows 8. The reg edit that enabled it in the Consumer Preview doesn't work in the current Release Preview. I'm also thinking Windows 7 will be the new XP.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    Thanks for the link, Just what I needed!

Blog Entries
    Didn't know you managed tablets so much....PM me your e-mail addy so we can have a conversation about that.
    PM sent :-)

PM sent :-)
    Got it..just been slammed....new Hyper-V setup giving quirks on a RAID 10, and some demo stuff with a BDR company.
    Guinness for Strength!!!