Thread: Win 2008 server share folder remote user over the internet

Win 2008 server share folder remote user over the internet

Hi Experts

I have got a client who has windows 2008 server (Standalone not domain) , he is looking to share only one specific folder on the C drive to a remote user over the internet (our scenario isn't a shared folder within a LAN).

The remote user s working as an accountant and he needs to download and upload files to that shared folder, for other employees to be able to see those files later on if they want to do so.

UVNC and TeamViewer are not a solution, because the remote user will be able to access and see all other folders and files.

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthr...-over-Internet

Apart from VPN is there any other solution ?

Regards

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Could use a folder sync package like Dropbox.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks Moderator, you did answer the question.
    One more question the client needs to share a folder belong to MYOB program (accounting program) that is installed on the server.
    This folder called : 'MYOBAE' and it has has a database files and an executable file as well, and it is licensed to be used by two employees.
    I tried to use the Dropbox and drag MYOBAE to it and it was viewable by remote employee and it wasn't functioning as a database or as an executable program.
    Regards

Oh...to have an account app...I thought it was just plain files like documents.
    I don't like running accounting apps across a VPN tunnel, too thin..too slow, can lead to frequent database corruption. I haven't worked with MYOB in a few years, last I recall it ran on pervasive? Was picky with database files and need write behind caching disable or something...touchy app. I'd get a desktop that this person can remote into and setup WebEx and publish MYOB in it.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I'd get a desktop that this person can remote into and setup WebEx and publish MYOB in it.
    Hi YeOldeStonecat
    I will consider that.

If I am going to setup at the client's office a desktop for the remote employe to access it via WebEx,,,,why not considering to use TeamViewer ?

Regards
    Last edited by zillah; 07-03-12 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    If I am going to setup at the client's office a desktop for the remote employe to access it via WebEx,,,,why not considering to use TeamViewer ?
    In your original post, you said UVNC and Teamviewer were not an option....because you don't want this remote person to be able to access other "stuff".
    WebEx has a published apps mode...you can give a remote user access to only a specified application..they cannot see the rest of your computer or apps/programs/data, only what you allow.

You could do a similar thing with native Remote Desktop...if you had a domain/active directory. But your first post stated it's just in workgroup mode...so there's another reason amongst many others that you lose by not having active directory.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

In your original post, you said UVNC and Teamviewer were not an option....because you don't want this remote person to be able to access other "stuff".
    WebEx has a published apps mode...you can give a remote user access to only a specified application..they cannot see the rest of your computer or apps/programs/data, only what you allow.
    Noted.
    Thanks