Thread: Voter ID Controversy

Voter ID Controversy

Holder to brief black pastors on campaign 2012

I do not understand the problem with having to show proper ID when voting, everywhere in life you have to have proper ID for things so why not something as important as voting? Their whole argument is that it discriminates against the poor, minorities and the elderly since they don't have proper ID. So why not simply help them get the proper ID? What is so hard about that? It seems more difficult to challenge every state on this rather than simply fix the problem, they argue that $20 is too much for some to pay, easy fix, give it to them for free.

In Virginia we have always had to show proper ID, I always assumed it was the same everywhere. It makes since to make sure nobody votes in your place or votes twice or worse yet voter fraud where "dead people" are voting.

What is your opinion?

I have no problem at all having to show ID when I vote. I find it funny that it would even become an issue.

I don't mind showing ID to vote,or anything for that matter.

they never ask me for ID when I buy beer anymore though

I wish they did !

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    they never ask me for ID when I buy beer anymore though
    Well Dan, when you barely make it into the store with your walker.......

Quote Originally Posted by mnosteele52 View Post
    Well Dan, when you barely make it into the store with your walker.......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mnosteele52 View Post
    Holder to brief black pastors on campaign 2012

I do not understand the problem with having to show proper ID when voting, everywhere in life you have to have proper ID for things so why not something as important as voting? Their whole argument is that it discriminates against the poor, minorities and the elderly since they don't have proper ID. So why not simply help them get the proper ID? What is so hard about that? It seems more difficult to challenge every state on this rather than simply fix the problem, they argue that $20 is too much for some to pay, easy fix, give it to them for free.

In Virginia we have always had to show proper ID, I always assumed it was the same everywhere. It makes since to make sure nobody votes in your place or votes twice or worse yet voter fraud where "dead people" are voting.

What is your opinion?
    I agree with you. If obtaining ID can be offered to the poor for free, then why not.
    It could be a simple voters card.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I agree with you. If obtaining ID can be offered to the poor for free, then why not.
    It could be a simple voters card.
    even if you don't drive in California an official California state ID card can be had for $7 for qualifying low income people,and $26 for regular cards..

the problem IMO is also the huge population in almost every state and especially California is the illegals,they don't want a paper trail and pay cash for everything.so no,they wouldn't get an ID anyway,

but then unless you are a legal, active, & tax paying member of the community then you shouldn't have the right to vote in the first place ! IMO

No arguments here. Make it free and give people a voter card.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    even if you don't drive in California an official California state ID card can be had for $7 for qualifying low income people,and $26 for regular cards..

the problem IMO is also the huge population in almost every state and especially California is the illegals,they don't want a paper trail and pay cash for everything.so no,they wouldn't get an ID anyway,

but then unless you are a legal, active, & tax paying member of the community then you shouldn't have the right to vote in the first place ! IMO
    While I am sympathetic to the plight of many illegals, it is necessary to be a US citizen in order to vote.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Sounds like they are moving the population into a sense of chip implants for ID? Maybe?