Thread: Stuxnet/ Flame

Stuxnet/ Flame

Discuss

Over the last few years, Iran has become the target of a series of notable cyberattacks, some of which were linked to its nuclear program. The best known of these was Stuxnet, the name given to a computer worm, or malicious computer program.

According to an article in The New York Times in June 2012, during President Obama's first few months in office, he secretly ordered increasingly sophisticated attacks on Iran’s computer systems at its nuclear enrichment facilities, significantly expanding America’s first sustained use of cyberweapons.
    A similar dissecting process is now under way to figure out the origins of another cyberweapon called Flame, a data-mining virus that in May 2012 penetrated the computers of high-ranking Iranian officials, sweeping up information from their machines. But the computer code appears to be at least five years old, and American officials say that it was not part of Olympic Games. They have declined to say whether the United States was responsible for the Flame attack.
    http://topics.nytimes.com/top/refere...net/index.html

I find it interesting that the Flame code is written in what's considered gaming/mobile code.

I don't really follow these news items, but I find the amount of information and background that seems to be surfacing to be fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    I don't really follow these news items, but I find the amount of information and background that seems to be surfacing to be fascinating.
    What seems to getting the most attention is the concept of cyber-war...using computer code instead of defensive or offensive measures.

On one hand a computer attack can offset people fighting on the ground and save lives.

On the other, if a virus exits its target into the wild (stuxnet) one has no idea of the ramifications over time. All depends on the intended targets and the coding.

Although some might claim stuxnet has helped keep Iran from developing nuclear weapon technology, how pissed off would the US be if another country employed a similar tactic against us?

According to the releases, stuxnet caused over 1000 Iranian centrirfuges to self-destroy. That's awesome. It saves a lot of US and Iranian lives.

There is no doubt that this was written and executed by us and/or Israel.

I agree with Humbolt on several issues. Regardless how you look at it, we're proactively trying to upset and dismantle an infrastructure that is not ours and on foreign soil. Pretty much... invisible Drones(?). What concerns me is how most people seem to be accepting this as a way to fight our enemies and don't realize the actual acts that are taking place. If another country attacked us in such a fashion (at least a country we could conquer) we'd be on their butt in 2 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by mnosteele52 View Post
    There is no doubt that this was written and executed by us and/or Israel.
    No surprise here.

http://news.yahoo.com/proof-links-fl...gxYwRwb3MDMQRz