Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Comcast Data Cap

New Comcast Data Cap

Now its up to 300 GB, and after you hit it instead of being disconnected they simply charge you for what you go use over the cap. Not sure the price on that.

I didn't like the sound of a change in the cap and the additional cost at first, I thought they would lower the limit, but raising it from an already high amount of 250 GB to 300 GB is quite nice.

I've never come close to hitting 250 GB even.

Stop giving Time Warner ideas!
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Yeah I think this is a worth topic to post....

I don't like it all the way at least.. I'm on the Blast package - that package should have between 500-600GB/month vs Basic or premium or any other lower packages which can hang around that 250/300 area. I've gotten close to 250 a few times but not gone over..not worried either. I've asked them 3 times to put the meter on my account and they've yet to get it on there so ohh well their fault if I do go over and you can bet I've retained the reference numbers of each call and chat transcripts just to make sure I have the upper hand.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Good for home users ..esp those with kids that push things a bit.

Here's my firewalls report of yesterday volume of data...yup, 80 gigs in a 24 hour period. "Bandwidth Control analyzed 79869.27 MB". And that's average each day! So do the math...for a whole month! 2 and a half terrabytes? Yup!
    Gotta love business packages...why worry about caps! :P
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Yeah I think this is a worth topic to post....

I don't like it all the way at least.. I'm on the Blast package - that package should have between 500-600GB/month vs Basic or premium or any other lower packages which can hang around that 250/300 area. I've gotten close to 250 a few times but not gone over..not worried either. I've asked them 3 times to put the meter on my account and they've yet to get it on there so ohh well their fault if I do go over and you can bet I've retained the reference numbers of each call and chat transcripts just to make sure I have the upper hand.
    Cox does something like that, except they limit lower speed users to 30-50 GB a month.

LSD melts in your mind, not in your hand.
    Where do you look to see where you are at on download
    caps? their main site..ect.ect..

r u xprincD
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security
    Moderator-Beta Tester @ Outpost Users Support Forum

Quote Originally Posted by hayc59 View Post
    Where do you look to see where you are at on download
    caps? their main site..ect.ect..

I check on my router, but on the comcast.net site when you log in there should be a meter in the settings somewhere.

LSD melts in your mind, not in your hand.
    Thanks YardofStuf
    I guess I am doing just fine
    especially with all the music I grab

r u xprincD
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security
    Moderator-Beta Tester @ Outpost Users Support Forum

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hey Hi

There should be no caps “period”. The main underlying reason for ISP’s to initialing caps on bandwidth is that there do not want to spend the extra $$$$money$$$$ on upgrading the networks. That is basically the only reason. The common tactic that ISP’s use to stop upgrading their own networks is to basically blame users that use P2P programs in regards massive downloading and also stream movies on a regular basis.

Some users actually go along with these caps as they think putting bandwidth caps will curb the other users from “hogging” the bandwidth on their local node and the network will be "better" for everyone. However.. this is also wrong. New users come online “every day”, and the way of handling the overloaded network, is for the ISP companies “not” to spend more money on their own networks / equipment.. Oh Yes! That is 100% correct.. They will just increase the bandwidth caps .

And what happens when even “more” new users come onboard? WELL… then we’ll see some of those great “tier” plans come into play! The ISP companies will talk like this: “So we will take these users first.. Jack up there price per month.. yes.. that will will do, and then increase the caps AGAIN.. And then if they want this much of bandwidth, we will charge them even more! Doing this price and bandwidth cap increase will keep the majority of users at this bandwidth caps / tier.. this way we won’t have to upgrade our overloaded networks for the increase user demand.”

It does not matter how you try to sugar coat it over, any time you mention bandwidth caps, tier plans, ect.. it is only for the good of the ISP company, NOT YOU.. THE END USER.
    Last edited by Shinobi; 05-19-12 at 12:49 PM.

I don't fully buy your theory shinobi, because it doesnt factor in how the ISP purchases its bandwidth. All major ISPs have caps now, and even for cell plans unlimited data is dying. As long as Comcast's cap remains fair I'm ok with it.

I think I'm ok with a 300 or even the old 250gb cap also.it seems no big deal for me,I never stream movies,and I don't download much music,maybe a song or two a month on itunes.
    so IMO none of this will effect me at all.
    I have the triple play and besides,my company pays for my voice and internet anyway.I just put 2/3 of the bill on my expense report and I pay the last 1/3 for my cable tv,and it works out way cheaper for me.
    Last edited by Dan; 05-19-12 at 02:19 PM.

Thankfully, I don't have any caps. (Yet)
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

22GB is about the most I've used in a few months. Summer months about 10. 300GB seems generous for home users.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Quote Originally Posted by blebs View Post
    Thankfully, I don't have the craps again. (Yet)
    fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    fixed
    Taco bell. When you positively, absolutely, have to get it done over night!

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

that should be illegal

Something is missing in this discussion...where is Sava?

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Good for home users ..esp those with kids that push things a bit.

Here's my firewalls report of yesterday volume of data...yup, 80 gigs in a 24 hour period. "Bandwidth Control analyzed 79869.27 MB". And that's average each day! So do the math...for a whole month! 2 and a half terrabytes? Yup!
    Gotta love business packages...why worry about caps! :P
    Thats a ton! Untangle sent me my monthly report a few days ago. 828 gigs in the month of may. And I thought i was high, You blow me out of the water! Business account at my house also!

Last edited by morbidpete; 06-04-12 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    Hey Hi

There should be no caps period. The main underlying reason for ISPs to initialing caps on bandwidth is that there do not want to spend the extra $$$$money$$$$ on upgrading the networks. That is basically the only reason.
    No offense Shinobi but that is inaccurate. I work in the very industry of planning, designing, implementing a good portion of the hardware and software that provides service. We are moving at a pace like I have never seen and we spend a lot of money on the latest, greatest CISCO, ARRIS, FULITSU switches, routers, transport, fiber and management gear. We spent millions on Fujitsu 10Gb transport gear just a couple years a go and are now scrapping that gear in favor of CISCO's new 100Gb transport gear. Constantly expanding that pipe to not only keep up but plan ahead. We are also constantly balancing our High speed data equipment to ensure no one node is overloaded. We've also just spent 1.5 million just upgrading our DC plant to give us enough power to be practically 100% DC for reliability and it also gives us a few days to run completely on batteries with our inverter/rectifier setup. $275k on upgraded AC to keep it all cool as well. That is just the data side. Now that we are all digital we have spent a fortune on new equipment to ensure reliability. Video on demand equipment has all been upgraded to the latest CISCO offerings as well. It all adds up to millions for just one small headend. Master headends like Area 4 in South Chicago spend a staggering amount and our big daddy in Denver is unreal. Add to that 24/7 support from our own guys as well as specialized services from Vendors with multi-million dollar support contracts and it all adds up.

HSD is money especially with so many businesses getting on board with Data and phone. We spare no expense on any aspect of it and we are not going to be caught lagging.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum