Thread: Cable high latency + dropping out a lot.

Exclamation Cable high latency + dropping out a lot.

Okay so I have Time Warner Cable. Ever since January my signals have been dropping out, and or just jumping up at the modem when testing traces the latency will be normally 30ms then jump to 500,1000,2000ms+ latency.

I've called and spent more time on the phone with "tech support" I've had a total of 11 "tech" calls. 8 of those techs never called or even showed up to my home, when I called cable they said that the appt was canceled, when I said I never canceled it, they said the tech did and labeled it as "an area issue".

Out of the 3 "techs" that came out since January, they try to tell me that my 2 Pc's and 2 laptops are all bad and their equipment is just fine (sure I'll believe 4 devices netwok cards are all failing at once and they have no issues )

One tech just came over and removed the whole house DVR line filters and said it was just making my signals worse, the next replaced my modem and ran new cable to the splitter under the house and left.

the last tech said he came by, but really just pulled up info from his laptop, said he checked everything and everything on my end was fine and was just some line noise in the area.

I have about 100 tracerts saved in a folder on my desktop, most all of them show an issue at the modem or just at the hop past that, EVERY "tech" that I show the info to, they said they don't understand a trace and they wouldn't even know where the IP address would be hopping to anyway and they'd just reboot my modem a 100 times and then leave.

I'm fed up but have no other choices for internet in my area, what can I do to fix this issue or at least point someone to the exact problem? Is there info I can check besides traces and speedtests that both show my internet isn't doing like it should?

http://www.bbb.org/ To Start. Then I would go with your state SCC (if you have one) and then the FCC (the later 2 really scares the **** out of utility companies).

Blog Entries
    Escalate the issue to upper tier support, demand Tier 2! Provide them with the problematic traces, tell them it is an intermittent issue, tell them 2 out of 3 techs said it was an area problem, make sure they know you feel you are being brushed off and will excalate this further until it is resolved, demand resolution. Ultimately they're the ones that have to solve it, your only other remedy is changing ISPs.

If 3 of them couldn't find a problem locally, it is possible that the problem is at the node, and not your house.

Did they ever try changing your modem ?
    Have you checked the actual signal levels, most modems have a web-based status page that can provide very useful info (there is a database with addresses of cable modems on the main site, SurfBoards are usually at http://192.168.100.1 ). It would be useful checking the signal levels and traces when you're experiencing the issues.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Escalate the issue to upper tier support, demand Tier 2! Provide them with the problematic traces, tell them it is an intermittent issue, tell them 2 out of 3 techs said it was an area problem, make sure they know you feel you are being brushed off and will excalate this further until it is resolved, demand resolution. Ultimately they're the ones that have to solve it, your only other remedy is changing ISPs.

If 3 of them couldn't find a problem locally, it is possible that the problem is at the node, and not your house.

Did they ever try changing your modem ?
    Have you checked the actual signal levels, most modems have a web-based status page that can provide very useful info (there is a database with addresses of cable modems on the main site, SurfBoards are usually at http://192.168.100.1 ). It would be useful checking the signal levels and traces when you're experiencing the issues.
    Sorry didn't see this reply till today.

I ran the analyzer and got the following:

TCP options string = 020405b40103030201010402
    MTU = 1500
    MTU is fully optimized for broadband.
    MSS = 1460
    Maximum useful data in each packet = 1460, which equals MSS.
    Default TCP Receive Window (RWIN) = 65700
    RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 2 bits (scale factor: 2^2=4)
    Unscaled TCP Receive Window = 16425

In Windows 7, unless "TCP/IP Auto-Tuning" is disabled, only the Current TCP Window is displayed. Use the latest TCP Optimizer for tweaking.
    You seem to be using Google Chrome. Note that Chrome can modify the TCP Window for sockets it creates under some OSes, and therefore servers may not get your correct RWIN value. You may want to test with a different browser. FAQ
    RWIN is not fully optimized. The unscaled RWIN value is lower than it should be. Also, RWIN being close to and above 65535 does not justify the header overhead of enabling TCP 1323 Options. You might want to use one of the recommended RWIN values below.

RWIN is a multiple of MSS
    Other RWIN values that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
    64240 (up to 2 Mbit lines, depending on latency. MSS * 44)
    128480 (1-5 Mbit lines, depending on latency. MSS * 44 * 2)
    256960 (2-14 Mbit lines, depending on latency. MSS * 44 * 2^2)
    513920 (8-30 Mbit lines, depending on latency. MSS * 44 * 2^3)
    1027840 (25-60 Mbit lines depending on latency. MSS * 44 * 2^4)
    bandwidth * delay product (Note this is not a speed test):

Your TCP Window limits you to: 2628 kbps (329 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
    Your TCP Window limits you to: 1051 kbps (131 KBytes/s) @ 500ms
    MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = ON
    Time to live left = 57 hops
    TTL value is ok.
    Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF
    Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON
    IP type of service field (RFC1349) = 00000000 (0)
    Here's a screenshot of the ubee signal page.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Oh and yea they've been through 3 modem swaps, all seem to work the same as the precious with 0 improvements. One thing when I bridge the modem disabling the internal router and using my external router the latency for the modem is a tad lower, but still out of what it should be.

Bump for some help please, can't get this working and it's driving me crazy!

so cool!