Thread: For profit technical college

Thumbs down For profit technical college

I'm always seeing these ads on TV for various technical/medical colleges. You know, the kind with the smiling young women who are eager to joing the medical profession etc. I noticed that at the end of the commercials there is always a legal blurb about a page on their website where you can go and see average debt incurred, completion and job placement stats.

So I go to one of the sites and check out the stats. Depending on where they're located they have some "on-time" complettion rates as low as 17%. WOW! On top of that there weren't many over 50%. How can you pay on average $20k to learn something and not put everything you have into it? I guess many of these schools are taking students who really shouldn't be there. They sell them a dream.

I agree. My son got suckered into the University of Phoenix. Tell me, why would a school use bank loans over government grants they were given? Anyhow, my son quit because he's eligible for free job training and placement assistance from our state. Now UOP has been after him for $900. Take about rigged.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

I'd rather have people go to trade schools for electrical/auto/HVAC than college for liberal arts/history/English.
    "I was once banned from a bookstore for moving all the bibles to fiction"

Uninsured for your health
    i'm actually completing my program with Phoenix right now, I have one core class that I'm taking right now and 3 lower division classes but so far I'm schedule for a September graduation. Granted, I did have almost 10 years in the field when I got started
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

Last edited by Dan; 05-15-12 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CiscoKid View Post
    i'm actually completing my program with Phoenix right now, I have one core class that I'm taking right now and 3 lower division classes but so far I'm schedule for a September graduation. Granted, I did have almost 10 years in the field when I got started
    Be sure you pay them if you have too. They are relentless in pursuit of accounts. With that being said, hope your doing great.

It just didn't make sense that they were given Federal Pell Grant funds, but choose to use bank loans instead. It was supposedly taken care of, but obviously it wasn't because every collection agency I can think of has called for my son.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates