Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Watching movies on a tablet

  1. #1
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,863

    Watching movies on a tablet

    I'm flying across the country next week (twice ) and am thinking about getting a Galaxy to help kill time. CA to NC is not quick.

    I figure I can use hotspots in the airports to surf or stream NetFlix, but is there a way to load DVD's from disc to the tablet to watch them on the airplane?

    Only thing I've seen so far is DVD Catalyst.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    SG Enthusiast Leatherneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    The Great Midwest
    Posts
    3,614
    Can you convert the DVDs to .avi, Mpeg4, Divx, etc.?
    USMC RETIRED

    Steve

    Tacoma Guitar Forum

  3. #3
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    Can you convert the DVDs to .avi, Mpeg4, Divx, etc.?
    I assume so, just never been happy w/ DVD rips and it's been a few years since I last tried.
    Hoping there was software that would cut out some of the steps.

    Thanks

  4. #4

  5. #5
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,863

    Thanks Mark.

    Trying to convince myself to buy the damn thing now

  6. #6
    SG DC Team Member Paft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    5,736
    I'm not sure I can talk you into it, but I can only reccomend the iPad 2 incredibly highly. I've had it for a few months now, and it's already basically replaced my laptop for everything except writing code. Flying from PA -> CA watching movies and listening in on a bluetooth headset was a joy.

    Any way, good luck. Try not to let the flight cramp ya too much.

  7. #7
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Paft View Post
    I'm not sure I can talk you into it, but I can only reccomend the iPad 2 incredibly highly. I've had it for a few months now, and it's already basically replaced my laptop for everything except writing code. Flying from PA -> CA watching movies and listening in on a bluetooth headset was a joy.

    Any way, good luck. Try not to let the flight cramp ya too much.
    Hey Paft
    What kind of headset do you have?

  8. #8
    SG DC Team Member Paft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    5,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Hey Paft
    What kind of headset do you have?
    It's a Plantronics BackBeat ... I want to say 903? Two ear pieces, stereo, with minor noise canceling features. Seven hours of battery life (I've seen 10 out of them), decent music quality... overall pretty nice.

  9. #9
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Paft View Post
    It's a Plantronics BackBeat ... I want to say 903? Two ear pieces, stereo, with minor noise canceling features. Seven hours of battery life (I've seen 10 out of them), decent music quality... overall pretty nice.
    Thanks, will into those.

  10. #10
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,863
    Handbrake can't handle encryption, AutoGK throws "too many pictures...GOP" errors.

    Bit of a learning curve I guess but am looking for other options.

  11. #11
    Elite Member TonyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    10,338
    DVDDecrypter is still available to download.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

    LRH

  12. #12
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,863
    Thanks for the suggestion TonyT, I'll look into that tonight after work.

  13. #13
    yes if course you feel any problem to change extension and watching a movie and enjoy

  14. #14
    R.I.P. Nov 2015 RaisinCain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by frank martin View Post
    yes if course you feel any problem to change extension and watching a movie and enjoy
    Why do you constantly post worthless info?

  15. #15
    Resident Atheist Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Orangevale ,Ca
    Posts
    18,682
    Quote Originally Posted by raisincain View Post
    why do you constantly post worthless info?
    lol I agree !

    looking at all his other posts,

    it's all jibberish

  16. #16
    Resident Atheist Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Orangevale ,Ca
    Posts
    18,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    I'm flying across the country next week (twice ) and am thinking about getting a Galaxy to help kill time. CA to NC is not quick.

    I figure I can use hotspots in the airports to surf or stream NetFlix, but is there a way to load DVD's from disc to the tablet to watch them on the airplane?

    Only thing I've seen so far is DVD Catalyst.

    Thanks
    I do a lot of flying,LA,SF,SAC,HI,and Sacramento is the only AP with free wifi that I could get on my LT.

    LAX does not even offer it !

    you would be better off surfing with 3G at most airports IMO

  17. #17
    Resident Atheist Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Orangevale ,Ca
    Posts
    18,682
    BTW,bring some disinfectant wipes,the second most germ loaded thing is airplane armrests & fold down tables.

    of course the first thing is the one I NEVER touch ! escalator hand rails

  18. #18
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I do a lot of flying,LA,SF,SAC,HI,and Sacramento is the only AP with free wifi that I could get on my LT.

    LAX does not even offer it !

    you would be better off surfing with 3G at most airports IMO
    No cell phone, but at least my CA layover is in Sac.

  19. #19
    Resident Atheist Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Orangevale ,Ca
    Posts
    18,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    No cell phone, but at least my CA layover is in Sac.
    I thought you had a Samsung GALAXY !?!

  20. #20
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I thought you had a Samsung GALAXY !?!
    I do...Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1...not to be confused w/ the Samsung Galaxy Tab phone.

    Not sure wtf they're doing using such similar names...I look for help on topics about the tablet and find info on the phone. Highly annoying.

    For the record, Arcata/Eureka, Sacramento, Dulles, and RDU all had free Wifi. Handy to be able to grab a last minute ebook or game to help kill the time.

Similar Threads

  1. Best portable solution for watching movies
    By zooner in forum Hardware & Overclocking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-30-05, 08:14 AM
  2. Help w/watching MPEG movies on MediaPlayer: CINMST32.DLL
    By Mattgical in forum Software Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-18-02, 08:04 PM
  3. problem watching movies
    By m4a2t0t in forum Software Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-31-01, 12:48 PM
  4. Q: Watching Movies on your Comp.
    By sherman in forum General Broadband Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-25-01, 03:21 PM
  5. LOTS of MOvies and Stuff Cool Quake3 Movies on a FAST Server
    By Brent in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-01-01, 08:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •