Thread: Great, my neighbors got chickens

Great, my neighbors got chickens

Problem is that they put their "chicken yard" right against the wire fence between our properties.

I have 5 dogs, one of which is a husky with a high prey drive. She's killed several killed several cats that have come into my fenced dog yard ~ 1 acre.

Neighbors just bought the property at the beginning of the year. Nice people.

Obviously it's my responsibility to keep my dogs within my property.
    If my husky goes through the fence to get the chickens they could shoot her and I wouldn't have a leg to stand on, it's well within their legal rights.
    Understood.

On the other hand, WTF are they thinking putting the chickens right there?

Arrgh.

I want to be pro-active about the situation, but short of putting up a $5000 fence I'm not sure what to do. Thinking about talking with them and expressing my concern over the safety of their livestock given the location...but that makes me feel like an assh*le since they should be able to put their damn chickens wherever they like on their property. That's really the bottom line for me...their property, they can put whatever they want wherever they want.

Seems like common sense should come into play somewhere here though. Their new chicken yard could be placed somewhere not nearly as appetizing.
    Suggestions on how to approach this?

And yes, I realize and bow to the property issue, they can put their chickens wherever they want to, power to them. But up against a wire fence that the husky could grab a chicken through if she really wanted to doesn't seem like the best idea to me.
    Last edited by Humboldt; 01-31-12 at 10:56 PM.

That does sound like a tough situation man. Like you stated I'm not sure what good speaking to them will be. At least from the perspective of them moving their chickens. Still if you have a decent relationship I don't think it would hurt to voice your concern.

Humby, I'm not sure what type of fence is existing, but would guess perhaps 4" x 4" wire. You don't need to replace the whole fence, just add a layer that the dogs can't get their mouth through. They make "chicken wire" which is a very thin gauge, cheap, ~1" octagon wire that you could overlay against the existing where the chickens are...
    If you are concerned about the dogs possibly being able to tear that, you can use "hardware cloth", which is a fence material that has various size openings; 1/2" squares will keep rats out, 1/4" squares will keep mice out, 1/8" squares will keep Trini's mom out...well, only if it is anchored properly...and if she has eaten recently...

Go to a building supply place (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) and look at the above items (ask for the names that I have written in quotes) and decide which you are comfortable with. ...and yes, we know Trini's mom would be your first choice, however for this application, she doesn't count...
    (How is Trini? I haven't seen him around lately... )

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I would talk to them...express your concerns about the dogs, and ask them to work WITH you in coming up with a solution that works for both of you, and perhaps even share the costs.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Humby, I'm not sure what type of fence is existing, but would guess perhaps 4" x 4" wire. You don't need to replace the whole fence, just add a layer that the dogs can't get their mouth through. They make "chicken wire" which is a very thin gauge, cheap, ~1" octagon wire that you could overlay against the existing where the chickens are...
    If you are concerned about the dogs possibly being able to tear that, you can use "hardware cloth", which is a fence material that has various size openings; 1/2" squares will keep rats out, 1/4" squares will keep mice out, 1/8" squares will keep Trini's mom out...well, only if it is anchored properly...and if she has eaten recently...

Go to a building supply place (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) and look at the above items (ask for the names that I have written in quotes) and decide which you are comfortable with. ...and yes, we know Trini's mom would be your first choice, however for this application, she doesn't count...
    (How is Trini? I haven't seen him around lately... )
    Hey Ken, hope you're well.

Any of my dogs, especially the husky, would go right through hardware cloth...have gone right through hardware cloth. Chicken wire wouldn't even slow them down.

They've been good so far. Talked with the neighbors a few days ago and we're thinking about going in on a common fence...either 2x4" no climb or, if I can save the money, a 6' wooden fence.

Get your dog some wire cutters.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Hey Ken, hope you're well.

Any of my dogs, especially the husky, would go right through hardware cloth...have gone right through hardware cloth. Chicken wire wouldn't even slow them down.

They've been good so far. Talked with the neighbors a few days ago and we're thinking about going in on a common fence...either 2x4" no climb or, if I can save the money, a 6' wooden fence.
    That is cool! It is nice to see neighbors get along and work together to resolve any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    That is cool! It is nice to see neighbors get along and work together to resolve any problems.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Problem is that they put their "chicken yard" right against the wire fence between our properties.

I have 5 dogs, one of which is a husky with a high prey drive. She's killed several killed several cats that have come into my fenced dog yard ~ 1 acre.

Neighbors just bought the property at the beginning of the year. Nice people.

Obviously it's my responsibility to keep my dogs within my property.
    If my husky goes through the fence to get the chickens they could shoot her and I wouldn't have a leg to stand on, it's well within their legal rights.
    Understood.

On the other hand, WTF are they thinking putting the chickens right there?

Arrgh.

I want to be pro-active about the situation, but short of putting up a $5000 fence I'm not sure what to do. Thinking about talking with them and expressing my concern over the safety of their livestock given the location...but that makes me feel like an assh*le since they should be able to put their damn chickens wherever they like on their property. That's really the bottom line for me...their property, they can put whatever they want wherever they want.

Seems like common sense should come into play somewhere here though. Their new chicken yard could be placed somewhere not nearly as appetizing.
    Suggestions on how to approach this?

And yes, I realize and bow to the property issue, they can put their chickens wherever they want to, power to them. But up against a wire fence that the husky could grab a chicken through if she really wanted to doesn't seem like the best idea to me.

I would say it's time for a fresh chicken dinner !

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I would say it's time for a fresh chicken dinner !
    That is what the husky thinks too