Thread: Recommend laptop

SG Enthusiast

Recommend laptop

Guys, someone i know wanted to know if you could recommend a nice laptop for no more than $650? What would it be?

thx

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    What is his primary purpose...needs? Small/portable? Medium...part time portable? Full sized desktop replacement? Long battery life or no? Need an optical drive built in? Basic computer use like surfing...or does he do gaming or video/photo editing? What software bundles does he need with it? (such as OEM Office).

I'm normally sketchy of a new laptop for under 800 bucks...but if someone held a gun to my head to get a laptop near that price range, I'd look at a Dell Vostro model, or what I'm typing from right now, a Lenovo Thinkpad "Edge" series.

Another good option that has served me very well for my past several laptops, look for "Factory Outlet" stores from Dell and Lenovo. Get some great deals on laptops that came off a corporate lease...for a deep discount. This allows you to get into the higher end business model range (typically over 1500 dollar laptops) for the price range you're looking at...often still with much of the 3 year warranty remaining. The laptop I had before this one I'm typing from, was a Lenovo Thinkpad T61p model...very very high end, was a 2,600 dollar laptop, I got it for around 685 from a factory outlet. It came off a lease from Johnson and Johnson...and it was never used! A current good model to find would be a T400.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yeah usage here is a need to know before I could go any direction on recommendations.

SG Enthusiast
    Ok, she wants 4GB RAM, duel core, 500 GB HD, will view movies on it, skype and video streaming and quiet. If you need to know anymore info I will ask her.

thx
    Last edited by 24giovanni; 01-05-12 at 10:18 PM.

well that's nothing then..just a basic dell would work- inspiron model would work fine just add a little more warranty to it if she's going to move it around and travel with it a lot in case of damage from gravity.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...765&CatId=4936

One of the best deals out there right now. NewEgg had a similar model last month that was 14" with the same specs for $490, I ordered 4 of them for clients.

Quote Originally Posted by mnosteele52 View Post

One of the best deals out there right now. NewEgg had a similar model last month that was 14" with the same specs for $490, I ordered 4 of them for clients.
    nice model..personally if I was suggesting a laptop to anyone I'd say go SSD if they weren't doing a lot of downloading and needing all that storage.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

That's a pretty good deal....looks like the same chassis/platform that they did those U-series "Bamboo" models on...the i5 w/6 gigs of RAM.

The one complaint...the buttons on the touchpad require a firm push.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

SG Enthusiast

More expensive than the one I posted and not as nice, slower cpu, less ram etc.

SG Enthusiast
    More expensive than the one I posted and not as nice, slower cpu, less ram etc.
    From what she says tigerdirect doesn't ship to Poland but obviously you didn't know that is where she is from.