Thread: PC to PC communication using straight cable Cat6

PC to PC communication using straight cable Cat6

Hi...
    I have connected two PCs with straight cable cat6. Both systems showing 1gbps speed. but when i am transfering file from one system to other system it is showing 12.5MBps only (i.e 100Mbps only). Since it is connected with 1 gbps why it is not giving that much of speed? Please reply as early as possible.. its very important task
    for me.. I have already set all network properties which improve bandwidth but no use of them.. please help me..

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    What are you using to transfer the files?
    Have you tried a different ethernet cable?
    Assuming you're doing NIC to NIC..and there's not a switch in the middle?
    What make/model NICs?
    Have you enabled jumbo frames on the NICs properties?
    What settings did you change when you said you "set all network properties..."
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    What are you using to transfer the files?
    Have you tried a different ethernet cable?
    Assuming you're doing NIC to NIC..and there's not a switch in the middle?
    What make/model NICs?
    Have you enabled jumbo frames on the NICs properties?
    What settings did you change when you said you "set all network properties..."
    I just copy and pasting in the share folder of other system.
    I have used cross cable also which shows 100mbps speed but giving only 3MBps speed.
    There is no switch in between two systems i have connected them directly with cable.
    My NIC is Realtek PCI model NIC..
    I haven't enable jumbo frames..
    I have set the buffer sizes for tcp and udp .
    And also set network property of speed and duplex to 1gbps full duplex..
    And also set QOS packet scheduler property reserved bandwidth to zero(which is allocated 20% of bandwidth for os ).

Crossover cable or straight cable doesn't matter....straight cable would be standard. Crossover cables have pretty much become extinct now (no longer used...gone the way of the 9 pin serial port and the floppy drive)...because auto MDI-X is part of the gigabit standard...the NIC or switch port will handle that job.

The QoS packet scheduler...don't believe the hype on that, 20% is allowed for applications that have the API to utilize that feature on a LAN. If you're not running software which directly utilizes that feature...it is not "reserved"..it is not going unused, it is not taking what you have.

Realtek NICs are more software driven, they're on the budget end, they don't have the hardware controllers to run as strong as Broadcoms..or better yet....Intels.

What operating systems are being used?
    Any antivirus running real time file protection as you measure this?
    What hard drives are you using?

To more properly measure network performance and take hard drives and possibly large fragmented files out of the mix, try using some network performance software like QCheck, iPerf, NetCPS...programs like that. They'll load up files in RAM and transfer it to the RAM of the waiting client on the other machine.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    It may also be worth checking the CPU usage on the machines and experimenting with jumbo frames... What's the length of the cables, are they coiled or passing through some area of high EMI ?

What operating systems are being used?
    Any antivirus running real time file protection as you measure this?
    What hard drives are you using?

To more properly measure network performance and take hard drives and possibly large fragmented files out of the mix, try using some network performance software like QCheck, iPerf, NetCPS...programs like that. They'll load up files in RAM and transfer it to the RAM of the waiting client on the other machine.
    Thanks for reply..

I am using windows7 operaing system.
    Kaspersky antivirus is running, but when i disconnecting from LAN i doesn't use bandwidth i suppose, but i dont know exactly.
    My hard drive is WDC WD3200AAKX-753CA1 ATA Device.

Actually i don't require file transfer. i need to transmit packets of size 1KB from my application to another application in other PC contineously which are connected directly. when i tested with my application i get only 80Mbps speed with 1gbps connection. So i tested with file transferring its giving around 100Mbps.
    My application is written in delphi. what i have to consider to get maximum throughput?

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    It may also be worth checking the CPU usage on the machines and experimenting with jumbo frames... What's the length of the cables, are they coiled or passing through some area of high EMI ?
    My cable length is 3 meters. i connected two PCs which are besides each other.

Quote Originally Posted by mem22 View Post
    Actually i don't require file transfer. i need to transmit packets of size 1KB from my application to another application in other PC contineously which are connected directly. when i tested with my application i get only 80Mbps speed with 1gbps connection. So i tested with file transferring its giving around 100Mbps.
    My application is written in delphi. what i have to consider to get maximum throughput?
    File transfers on a gigabit network of 100 MB/s is fine. Max is pretty much 125 MB/s. Note the cap "B". Which is different than 125 Mb/s. 8 bits to a Byte.
    What are you using to measure the transfer speeds of this application? To be honest....if you're only spitting out 1 KB files....even if you're a dial up speeds, doesn't matter..tiny files. 10 meg or 100 meg or gigabit won't make a difference for such a small file.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

File transfers on a gigabit network of 100 MB/s is fine. Max is pretty much 125 MB/s. Note the cap "B". Which is different than 125 Mb/s. 8 bits to a Byte.
    What are you using to measure the transfer speeds of this application? To be honest....if you're only spitting out 1 KB files....even if you're a dial up speeds, doesn't matter..tiny files. 10 meg or 100 meg or gigabit won't make a difference for such a small file.
    while file transefering i am getting only 100Mbps not MegaBytes... the result interms of mega bytes is 12.5MBps only.. thats why i am worrying about throughput.
    I have transfered 3GB file from one system to other system while copying it showing around 12MBps speed only (i.e around 100Mbps)..I am not using any other application for measuring the speed.

Thank u..

Can you test network throughput with one of the network performance testing apps (or equiv) that I listed above? To take other factors out of the mix such as hard drive, system performance (or lack of), etc.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Can you test network throughput with one of the network performance testing apps (or equiv) that I listed above? To take other factors out of the mix such as hard drive, system performance (or lack of), etc.
    As i am connecting two systems directly with cat6 cable, is it possible to those s/w's for tesing network throughput???

Yes many software packages are for testing the network...locally. You put an agent on one computer, you put another agent on the other computer...and have them to a network test (pointing to each other) across the LAN. They spool up a large file in system memory and then transfer it....so they don't use the hard drive for testing. Gets a more accurate "network" test...since hard drives become a large factor when doing large LAN transfers from files. There are many many "free" utilities out there to do this.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    12Mbytes is pretty pathetic, are you sure the adapters both support Gigabit and the cable is not something cheap and not really a Cat5e/Cat6 ? I'm asking because while 100Mbit connection only utilizes 4 wires, Gigabit actually uses all 8 in the cable. May be worth investigating further if the adapters actually negotiate at Gigabit speeds (since you're getting exactly 100Mbps), wireshark or other similar network tools can disect the actual connection.

i think if you communicate to computer to each other to must cable use cross cable nit state cable used because same devices communicate through cross cable and different devices to join throgh state cable for example router to switch use state cable and router to router use cross cable i think you understand

Quote Originally Posted by frank martin View Post
    i think if you communicate to computer to each other to must cable use cross cable nit state cable used because same devices communicate through cross cable and different devices to join throgh state cable for example router to switch use state cable and router to router use cross cable i think you understand
    Most NICs and switches are auto sensing these days so there isn't a need for a crossover cable.

What kind of hard drives are on those machines? PATA, SATA, ect... Your also limited by the bus speed and other programs running in the background.

Your slowest machine is going to be the bottleneck.
    Never take any crap off an inanimate object!!

Never send email to this address: spam@euclidian.com. This is a spam trap and everyone sending any email to this address will be blacklisted.

i think you pc to pc communicate you should use cross cable because this is same devices and use cross cable and if you communicate different devices to use state cable

Quote Originally Posted by frank martin View Post
    i think you pc to pc communicate you should use cross cable because this is same devices and use cross cable and if you communicate different devices to use state cable
    Crossover cables are no longer needed...they are legacy devices that are pretty much extinct now. Part of the gigabit standard is having auto MDI-X done on the NIC. So as long as one of the devices you're trying to connect in a pair has a gigabit interface...you can use a straight cable. Even prior to gigabit...most of the more recent 100 meg devices had auto MDI-X.

I haven't used a crossover cable in...easily over 5 years. And working on many different networks each and every day is what I do for a living.

And what do you mean when you say "state cable"?
    Guinness for Strength!!!