Thread: The true cost of prescription drugs?

Uninsured for your health

The true cost of prescription drugs?

I just finished a contract at Sutter Health, one of the biggest corporate hospital chains in California and while talking with one of the nurses about the cost of prescription drugs got a major shocker! She was telling me that she only pays 20% of cost for any script she needs to pick up. She paid 1.50 for a 30 day supply of one of her kids medications, she then did a favor for one of her friends and picked up a script from RiteAid and paid 35.00 for the same medication. As she spoke to the pharmacist, he told her that the medication would run an uninsured patient over 120.00 for that same medication! I'm sure RiteAid pays the same amount for drugs as the hospital...7.5 per 30 pills. This just completely blows my mind! with her 20% of total hospital cost, she pays pennies on the dollar while the hospital pays 25 cents per pill but turns around and sells it to the patient for 4 dollars a pill for a profit of 3.75 per pill? 112.50 for a full months supply?
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

I was in the hospital about a year ago and I needed 2 units of blood. I saw the invoice from the hospital and they were billing my insurance company $1100.00! I mean... don't people donate blood for free?

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    I was in the hospital about a year ago and I needed 2 units of blood. I saw the invoice from the hospital and they were billing my insurance company $1100.00! I mean... don't people donate blood for free?
    Easto they may have been billed that amount, but that is not what the insurance company actually paid. Insurance probably paid around 1/3 of that amount.

What kills me is, if your not insured, you get to pay full fair. They don't cut you any deals. Well, maybe they'll give you a discount if you pay your bill in full with cash, but only at about 10%.

Pharmaceutical companies are right up there with other special groups that disguise their actual costs and tracking the information down will have you mind boggled until you give up.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

My dad just had his meniscus repaired, he was given a brace, like you could get at sports authority or something, and they charged him 850 bucks for it, the insurance agreed to pay 675 for it, and he could have bought it at sports authority for 50-60 bucks.

Healthcare provides a needed service, but its also a scam.

Why is the cost so high?

Over 1200 pharmaceutical lobbyists here in Washington, DC.
    They write most of the drug legislation laws.
    Spent $900 million on lobbying between 1998 and 2005, donated $89.9 million to federal candidates and political parties.

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete...w=1280&bih=664
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by blebs View Post
    Easto they may have been billed that amount, but that is not what the insurance company actually paid. Insurance probably paid around 1/3 of that amount.
    Understood. But even at 1/3rd it's still crazy! I went in for an ultrasound on my bladder. From the time they called me in until the time I was saying goodbye couldn't have been 4 minutes. They billed out $1400.00. What a freakin' racket!

Uninsured for your health
    Easto, I'd like to see how they could justify that cost...
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

Quote Originally Posted by CiscoKid View Post
    Easto, I'd like to see how they could justify that cost...
    Justifying the cost is easy. You want to live? You want to be healthy? how much are you willing to pay to be healthy, obviously some people are willing to pay a lot.

Doesn't make it right, or even ethical, but justifiable no sweat.