Thread: Optimizing registration in a game

Optimizing registration in a game

Hi all, Well the title pretty much sums it up. I am looking for advice and tips on how I can make my connection the absolute best for registration in a online game called Call of Duty 4.
    1. What type of connection do you have? i.e. 56K, ISDN, DSL (PPPoE or not), Cable etc.
    I believe I have DSL and PPPoE (I can login on my web browser with 10.1.1.1 and admin admind, does this mean I have PPPoE?)
    2. Who is your ISP and what is your advertised speed from them? i.e. Cox.net & 3000/256 - this is advertised in kilobits per second.
    I live in New Zealand and my ISP is Telecom. I cannot find an advertised speed from them. I don't think speed is exactly what I am looking for either.
    3. What are your current settings now? Do a TCP/IP Analyzer Test and copy and paste the results (remember to XXXXX out your IP address) here.
    SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results
    Tested on: 10.10.2011 01:16
    IP address: 222.153.xxx.xxx
    Client OS: Windows XP

TCP options string: 020405500103030101010402
    MSS: 1360
    MTU: 1400
    TCP Window: 65536 (NOT multiple of MSS)
    RWIN Scaling: 1 bits (2^1=2)
    Unscaled RWIN : 32768
    Recommended RWINs: 65280, 130560, 261120, 522240, 1044480
    BDP limit (200ms): 2621kbps (328KBytes/s)
    BDP limit (500ms): 1049kbps (131KBytes/s)
    MTU Discovery: ON
    TTL: 54
    Timestamps: OFF
    SACKs: ON
    IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

4. Please tell us your operating system i.e. 95, 98, 98SE, ME, 2K or XP.
    I am running Windows XP Pro 32bit.

My modem is a D-Link
    Model: DSL-G604T/NZ V.B3
    My speedtest.net results are
    Download speed: 6.72 mbps
    Upload speed: 0.55 mbps
    Ping: 12 ms
    I also have interleaving turned off.

I have just recently done a reformat so everything is nice and clean (I think so anyway). If there is anything I am missing don't hesitate to ask.
    Also I am interested in overclocking my Graphics card (8800gt) my CPU (Q6600) and possibly my motherboard (ASUS p5k SE) Actually im not even sure you can overclock a motherboard thats how much of a noob I am, so please be nice

Thanks
    Last edited by 443330; 10-10-11 at 12:19 AM.

Blog Entries
    I'd start by applying the optimal settings in the TCP Optimizer, set the connection speed slider to ~10Mbps.
    There is an additional gaming tweak (disable naggling) in the Optimizer's Advanced tab that may or may not help COD4, I'm not sure if it helps that game. I'd start with the optimal settings in the program first.

Overclocking may be a bit outisde of the scope of tunning your internet connection ... But I'm sure there are others around who can give you some pointers.

I hope this helps.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Hey thanks for the advice, unfortunately naggling does not affect cod4. If there is anything else I can do that will improve registration or make my connection more solid please share.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure what you mean by improving "registration". As for improving your connection, the Optimizer combines a lot of the tweaks explained on the site.

I have downloaded and used the optimizer and did notice a more stable connection. I too am unsure exactly what registration encompasses. I believe what I am looking for is for my connection to be synchronized as close as possible to the server I am playing on. So if there is any other tweaks out there that the Optimizer doesn't use or thats in the advanced settings that may help me I would like to hear of them.
    Cheers

Blog Entries
    Being "synchronized" with the server is latency issue (ping, rtt, or delay of packets). The one other setting that may help with some games is disabling Naggling in the advanced settings fo the Optimizer. It is not applied by default because it has some small negative impact on throughput, you can read more about it in the Windows tweaking articles.

I hope this helps.