Thread: 2 Modems 2 IPs Double Speed?

2 Modems 2 IPs Double Speed?

Hi, I have been reading all over for the last couple of hours and have had no success at finding a solid answer. I am wondering if having 2 modems with 2 seperate IP addresses can be linked/bridged together to double my connection speed. Example, I have 2 separate modems each with a 50mb down 10mb up connection from Comcast. I have a gigabit LAN port on my motherboard and a Killer NIC PCI card. If I connect each up to a different modem, each connection will get a different IP address and it currently works as a "Fail-Over" with LAN 1 using the larger portion of bandwidth. What I would like to do is link the 2 connections together to create a 100mb down 20mb up connection. Is this possible at all? Am I dreaming about technology that does not exist yet? I did however read about "Load Balancing" but am a bit confused about it. I am running Windows 7 64 bit on a bran new computer. I know Comcast has a 100mb connection available and I am not interested in upgrading. The second modem/connection is costing me nothing. Thanks for any responses good or bad.

You will need two lines run off the pole to your home each with its own line... reason for this is that each modem uses the same freq and channels that comcast pushes for its network. Soooo having the other account would be a waste when you could prob do that 100mb connection for less of a cost and easier.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    You will get failover or load balancing. But a single computer on the LAN will not get 100 meg speeds.....or really be able to use the load balancing well. Load balancing works better for larger networks. You also run into some limitations and quirks of load balancing on some web based apps that can be session based...they come from one of the IP addresses. Each session can use only one of the WAN connections at a time.

Comcast has 100 meg packages...I'd just upgrade to one of those. If it's not in your area yet, it will be soon.....they're expanding its coverage quickly.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Seriously what is with the ignorant questions lately? LoL

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    You will need two lines run off the pole to your home each with its own line... reason for this is that each modem uses the same freq and channels that comcast pushes for its network. Soooo having the other account would be a waste when you could prob do that 100mb connection for less of a cost and easier.
    And about 2 years later.. I am doing it right now.. Connectify Dispatch.. 2 modems.. 2 ethernet ports.. 50/10 mbps x2 .. ill show a speedtest..

Yeah screw that second line bs..

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    And about 2 years later.. I am doing it right now.. Connectify Dispatch.. 2 modems.. 2 ethernet ports.. 50/10 mbps x2 .. ill show a speedtest..

Yeah screw that second line bs..
    Now you know that you're seeing the "bursting" speed that cable providers have? What Comcast used to call "PowerBoost".
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I have a Dual-WAN router and had two broadband providers at one point. The router combines the pipes into a mega pipe and there was greater speed but HTTPS sites like banks and credit cards companies didn't work very well with it. I don't know if that is the result of a bad software implementation by the company that made the dual-WAN router or the nature of the beast.

Blog Entries
    It is the nature of load-balancing... If packets pick one of two different routes, they use two external IPs, which in turn can confuse some sessions and secure connections may not work at all (unless using one of the two connections). It is much easier in multi-user environment, where each client can be assigned to a single/different external line automatically based on current load.