Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Desktop core i7 2600 vs Laptop core i7 2630M Power?

  1. #1
    Cabledude Avatar Fan purecomedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,371

    Desktop core i7 2600 vs Laptop core i7 2630M Power?

    I'm comparing what I can get in a desktop and a laptop in terms of power at a similar price. It appears I can get a good deal on a laptop with a core i7 2630M processor. Can anyone tell me how this compares to a desktop core i7 2600 processor in terms of power?

    If the desktop is much more powerful I'd probably go that direction as I kind of want gaming power as the primary thing. Don't plan on this computer being needed for mobility but that is a nice to have. I guess I have this inherent thought that laptops just kinda die sooner than a desktop because they get bumped around or the battery life goes to hell after 2 years or something...

  2. #2
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,051
    The Desktop chip will be faster

    http://ark.intel.com/

    There ya go...look at the differences.

  3. #3
    Cabledude Avatar Fan purecomedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    The Desktop chip will be faster

    http://ark.intel.com/

    There ya go...look at the differences.
    Ok so fewer cores/threads and lower clock speeds on the mobile. I wonder effectively where this puts the overall performance/benchmark for various tasks.

    The other thing I'm not entirely sure about for the new i7 series is they have this built-in graphics feature. Is this for business systems so that the video card is built in? I notice most systems are putting in a graphics card still so in that case is the graphics chip on the Intel CPU overridden or is it still used in some way?

  4. #4
    Moderator David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Nova Caesarea
    Posts
    9,393
    Blog Entries
    1
    It is not even close.

    The 2600K can be overclocked to at least 4.5GHz at stock voltage, with most clearing the 5.0 with extra juice.
    This chip is a monster!
    z68 motherboards permit the graphic side of the CPU to come about, it is slow compared to any decent card.

    Hell_Yes

    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

    "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

    It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

  5. #5
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    51,042
    Quote Originally Posted by purecomedy View Post
    The other thing I'm not entirely sure about for the new i7 series is they have this built-in graphics feature. Is this for business systems so that the video card is built in? I notice most systems are putting in a graphics card still so in that case is the graphics chip on the Intel CPU overridden or is it still used in some way?
    Some i5's also do that. It's pretty good, on par with "medium" graphics cards....which of course for office workers is way more than fine. Even for light to sorta medium gamers...it's not bad. I have a laptop with an i5 with the graphics...it breezes through HD DVD like butter, crisp and snappy graphics.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  6. #6
    Cabledude Avatar Fan purecomedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,371
    Yeah I actually did end up finding some benchmark information about the graphics on that new i7 chip vs. a $50 video card and the $50 video card for gaming was much better.

    Still a very cool concept for offices (hopefully offices that don't want to use Google Earth much!). I think the power consumption savings could be significant having an integrated approach to graphics...

  7. #7
    Moderator David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Nova Caesarea
    Posts
    9,393
    Blog Entries
    1
    Intel and AMD have long produced chipsets with graphic engines. The boards are typically very affordable. Aside from compaction, I do not set what was gained by placing the GPU on the CPU.

    Hell_Yes

    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

    "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

    It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

  8. #8
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    51,042
    Quote Originally Posted by purecomedy View Post

    Still a very cool concept for offices (hopefully offices that don't want to use Google Earth much!). .
    The i5/i7 graphics will easily chew up Google Earth...my lil laptop with the i5 runs Google Earth very smoothly, sharp crisp graphics. In my month of using it, it has handled graphic tasks just as easily as my prior laptop with its dedicatd 512 meg ATI FireGL graphics card did.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  9. #9
    Cabledude Avatar Fan purecomedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,371
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Intel and AMD have long produced chipsets with graphic engines. The boards are typically very affordable. Aside from compaction, I do not set what was gained by placing the GPU on the CPU.
    From what I read by combining things onto one chip you can use less power than if you had a separate video card. Again, this to me all sounds more like an optimal thing for laptops (which outnumber PCs now so I guess that's why they are thinking about it).

    I'm old fashioned and like having a PC in my office that doesn't take a shitkicking on the road... I just find with a PC I can pop in a $200 video card every few years and always play games. On an average laptop it's easy to overwhelm the video card...my PC is about a year old now so I imagine in about 2 more years I might for the first time switch to a laptop as my main machine. We'll see...I'm gaming so little now that it isn't really a factor anymore. When I do game I seem to enjoy emulators and playing simple old stuff like NES and SNES.

    Edit: originally said separate SOUND card...oops
    Last edited by purecomedy; 09-18-11 at 02:29 PM.

  10. #10
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    51,042
    Quote Originally Posted by purecomedy View Post
    On an average laptop it's easy to overwhelm the video card....
    I haven't found that to be true over the past several years...even the built in Intel GMAs have gotten decent.
    And I used to build custom high end gaming rigs years ago...so I was used to expecting a lot from graphics.

    And if you want to run super heavy demanding first person shooter games on a laptop, there are some good hybrid graphics systems available for laptops now that do well, and can still sip from the battery when needed.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  11. #11
    Cabledude Avatar Fan purecomedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,371
    I'll yield to the expert on this one but I do swear any time I'm on a business machine (even PC) with those Intel graphics that Google Earth makes me very angry with how slow it is compared to my machine at home which usually has a $200 video card in it (which I replace after about 2 years usually more because the fan noise makes me mad).

  12. #12
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,051
    Quote Originally Posted by purecomedy View Post
    I'll yield to the expert on this one but I do swear any time I'm on a business machine (even PC) with those Intel graphics that Google Earth makes me very angry with how slow it is compared to my machine at home which usually has a $200 video card in it (which I replace after about 2 years usually more because the fan noise makes me mad).
    May be something else going on aside from graphics..could be browser, could be memory, could be anything. The only real test would be to format both PC's with a fresh install both use the same browser and both go to the site/google earth at the same time to really get a solid real idea of which performs best.

  13. #13
    Cabledude Avatar Fan purecomedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,371
    True, some of machines at work definitely are bloated with a lot of garbage...and it just seems line in Windows XP once you get that registry filled up things are just never as responsive.

  14. #14
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    70,014
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Intel and AMD have long produced chipsets with graphic engines. The boards are typically very affordable. Aside from compaction, I do not set what was gained by placing the GPU on the CPU.
    So far not much, but in the future, having the CPU and the GPU on the same die is going to be a big thing. Communication between the 2 becomes much faster, and if game developers are given the ability to use direct memory access, for once you would see just how much more game developers are able to do with PC hardware over game systems hardware.

  15. #15
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,051
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    So far not much, but in the future, having the CPU and the GPU on the same die is going to be a big thing. Communication between the 2 becomes much faster, and if game developers are given the ability to use direct memory access, for once you would see just how much more game developers are able to do with PC hardware over game systems hardware.
    Yeah speaking of game developers..you see the Recommended system specs for BF3?? LOL About time they started to get up there in what was needed to run a game! Really cracks down on noob kids with outdated hardware complaining they are getting owned when they can't even see textures properly.

  16. #16
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    70,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Yeah speaking of game developers..you see the Recommended system specs for BF3?? LOL About time they started to get up there in what was needed to run a game! Really cracks down on noob kids with outdated hardware complaining they are getting owned when they can't even see textures properly.
    One of the only reasons we need so much more power to run games than the consoles is the inability for developers to use direct memory access as they do on the consoles.

    Upping the requirements doesn't eliminate people experiencing graphics lag, and thus complaining about it, it just changes who complains about it.

    And it saddens me to read "About time they started to get up there in what was needed to run a game!"

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale ASUS K52F-BBR5 Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.00Ghz/core 3GB of RAM Win7 64-bit
    By famous1681 in forum Marketplace - Buy/Sell/Trade/Hot Deals
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-11, 05:52 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-10, 01:27 AM
  3. GamePC:Quad Core For The Holidays : Intelís Core 2 Extreme QX6700
    By YeOldeStonecat in forum Hardware & Overclocking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-06, 03:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •