Thread: Upgraded Router but getting slower download speeds !

Upgraded Router but getting slower download speeds !

Hi

Unfortunate 'newbie' as I think I am called !

I have recently acquired a new speaker system at home using Apples airplay to stream music over my wireless internet connection. I was experiencing drop outs of the connection which I was advised was likely to be caused by the bog standard sky router I had being older and not up to the capability of all the things in my house connecting to the wireless connection.

I have now changed to a new router (Asus DSL-N13 802.11n Wireless ADSL 2/2+) and whilst I have not noticed any difference in my internet browsing I am now not having the drop outs with my speaker system and so it does appear that the new router is handling more 'traffic'.

Unfortunately when downloading films/music using my bittorrent client I have noticed that my download speeds have dropped by about 2/3 and therefore films/music are taking 3 times as long to download !!

Any assistance would be more than greatly appreciated.

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by daniellindon View Post
    Hi

I have now changed to a new router (Asus DSL-N13 802.11n Wireless ADSL 2/2+)
    I believe this is a gateway device, a modem cum router. Make sure it is placed isolated away from ALL other electrical devices.
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but is the realisation of how much you already have" - anon

I have it in my living room, the opposite side to all my TV, games systems, sky, sound system etc. The closest thing to it will be my fish tank which uses electric for the heater and lights. I understand that fish tanks may deflect wireless but I have never experienced problems from this, my old router being positioned in the same place. Thanks for your assistance, hope it can get sorted :-)

I have it in my living room, the opposite side to all my TV, games systems, sky, sound system etc. The closest thing to it will be my fish tank which uses electric for the heater and lights. I understand that fish tanks may deflect wireless but I have never experienced problems from this, my old router being positioned in the same place. Thanks for your assistance, hope it can get sorted :-)
    I believe fluorescent (UV) light tube with ballast does give off wireless interference. Try turning off the light.
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but is the realisation of how much you already have" - anon

My only query would be that the router is in the same place as my old one though, which is why I am guessing there is some technical aspect I have got wrong ??

My only query would be that the router is in the same place as my old one though, which is why I am guessing there is some technical aspect I have got wrong ??
    A tracert to www.yahoo.com to check on ping times at the first few hops will show if interference is the cause.

Many thanks for your continuing help. I have managed to do a tracert on my pc and I have taken a pic of the results on my iPad but I would be buggered if I can find how to attach it as pic or as an attachment !!