Thread: Clean Reinstall of Windows 7 64bit from Windows 7 64bit using original upgrade disk

Clean Reinstall of Windows 7 64bit from Windows 7 64bit using original upgrade disk

First off, I come from a place of ignorance. Just saying.

I'm trying to reinstall Windows 7. I loved its performance when I first upgraded from Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit. I run it on a Dell Inpsiron. It's been getting more
    sluggish and slow over the past few months, and I recently decided that I wanted a clean wipe; to start over fresh.

I backed up all of the files that I cared about, and proceeded to try to boot from the upgrade disk that I received when Microsoft first released W7. No such luck. After after reinserting the disk, a prompt comes up telling me that since I'm running Windows 7, the upgrade is complete and congratulations. I try going to control panel- recovery-
    advance recovery, and boot from installation disks. Again, I restart the computer, it starts taking me through the steps. When it asks me to insert the install disk, I insert the upgrade disk. It say, no, that's not an install disk.

So, I guess I have two ideas but no answers. That's where some virtuous soul comes in.

idea 1) there is an awesome way to reinstall windows 7 from the W7 upgrade I have already used.

idea 2) I can reinstall windows vista, then reinstall windows 7 using the upgrade disk.

If this can't be done, oh well. But it would be awesome if someone could point me in the right direction.

No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Just download the OEM version Win7 you need..burn it to a DVD and boot from it...then when it asks for the product key use the one on your computer/disk and it should load right on in.

You can get the Win7's SP1 update integrated from here to download using bittorrent just choose the correct version you need.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/downlo...egrated-image/

Also make sure you've saved the drivers for your system off the Dell site on a USB key or something before you do this so your ready to go after the install is done.

Sava, do you have anything like that for Vista?

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    Sava, do you have anything like that for Vista?
    I'm sure my digital life has iso's for Vista but since Microsoft is killing off Vista early you should just move on

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    I'm sure my digital life has iso's for Vista but since Microsoft is killing off Vista early you should just move on

Savaaaaaaa! do you have any working links for 7?

You can download any ISO and convert it to a universal install disk that will let you pick which version to install. I made two bootable thumb drives, one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit. Once you delete the ei.cfg file they will except OEM and Retail keys. Not sure about upgrade version keys though.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...sc-create.html
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Savaaaaaaa! do you have any working links for 7?
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/downlo...egrated-image/

The torrent links have been removed my good man.

I found what I needed anyway.

The torrent links have been removed my good man.

I found what I needed anyway.
    Hell they have!! Ehh... I prob have the torrent somewhere if you want it but as you said you got it

It looks like there are a couple of links to the Digital River downloads here.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...5-e24a335b8f2e

EDIT: Ops, missed the "found what I needed" part.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    It looks like there are a couple of links to the Digital River downloads here.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...5-e24a335b8f2e

EDIT: Ops, missed the "found what I needed" part.
    All of those look to be just Raw Win7 ....no SP1 added. Ya know its a shame Microsoft doesn't supply ISO's themselves to the public - its not going to hurt them in anyway even if they do get subs to technet and what not.... kinda lame IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    All of those look to be just Raw Win7 ....no SP1 added. Ya know its a shame Microsoft doesn't supply ISO's themselves to the public - its not going to hurt them in anyway even if they do get subs to technet and what not.... kinda lame IMO.
    OK, I just did a quick search before I had to leave and didn't look that close. I agree, I think Microsoft should let you download the ISO's. Just about every frickin PC you buy these days don't come with any install media and will only let you create recovery media. That makes it a pain in the but to do a clean install if you don't already have a Windows 7 DVD. I think it would be good from a security standpoint too, at least you would know what you downloaded should be a nice clean original image.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    OK, I just did a quick search before I had to leave and didn't look that close. I agree, I think Microsoft should let you download the ISO's. Just about every frickin PC you buy these days don't come with any install media and will only let you create recovery media. That makes it a pain in the but to do a clean install if you don't already have a Windows 7 DVD. I think it would be good from a security standpoint too, at least you would know what you downloaded should be a nice clean original image.
    I'm thinking it has something to do with Dell and the other builders making reload disks that are also loaded with free trial junk and so on.. you get the idea. MS though needs to step up and offer them as it wouldn't hurt them to do it from their end.

The other thing that I think was happening was the OEM SLP disks were getting used to do free upgrades. If you had say a Dell with Home Premium, you could borrow your buddies Dell Ultimate disk and it would install and activate just fine. Giving you a normal OEM disk (non SLP) to match what was installed would kill that. You'd still have to enter a product code and could use the one on the COA sticker. Which is what a lot of people are doing anyway once they find a source for the ISO file. I see your point though, I'm sure the OEMs etc, are happy to stick you with the trial ware any chance they get.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The OEM restore CDs are usually split into at least 2.
    First one is the bare OS, second one will be drivers and other bundled software that you can manually cherry pick what you want.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    The OEM restore CDs are usually split into at least 2.
    First one is the bare OS, second one will be drivers and other bundled software that you can manually cherry pick what you want.
    The last two laptops my father bought and two others that I've worked on recently didn't come with any disks. The recovery disk set utility burned a disk set for you but that was really just an image of what was on it from the factory when you got it. Running the built in utility or using the recovery disks just imaged it back to the way it was when you first turned it on. The old Dell laptop my father bought years ago with XP pre-installed came with an OS disk and a drivers/utilities disk. Even then though the OS disk was a branded Dell OEM SLP disk. Maybe if you buy a high end business class laptop or PC you might get actual disks, but I don't think you'll get them with anything you buy off the shelf from Staples or Future Shop. From what I've read on several forums, even if you offer to pay for disks from the manufacturer all they send you are recovery disks. They just don't seem to want to make it easy to do a clean install without the junk?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    True.... by default many now don't come with recovery disks....what I was saying..."if/when they do"...it's usually been split.
    Granted I deal with business grade models...which, along with having better quality components and warranty, they come with less fluff.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Compared to you I have very limited experience with new PC's with a pre installed OS. I don't own a laptop and build my own personal PC's. The couple of times I have burned and used the recovery disks it was an all or nothing deal. You are prompted to restore the partition or drive and then swap DVDs when asked for no.2, no.3 etc. I then had to un-install all the trial ware etc afterward. Maybe it's a brand thing, the Acer and HP laptops I worked on didn't come with any disks at all. There wasn't much in the way of manuals or user guides either. =(