Thread: slow international connection on wireless

slow international connection on wireless

i have a 4Mbps DSL internet connection with 3 PCs connected through a router. 2 are connected wirelessly and the other is wired via an ethernet cable.

i noticed that when downloading a file from an international server, the transfer rate on the wireless PCs is 2-3 times slower than on the wired PC. the wireless PC would get about 150-200kb/s, whereas the wired PC can max out to 450kb/s on a single download.

however when i download from a local or nearby server instead, the transfer rate on the wireless and wired PCs are the same and can both reach up to 450kb/s per download.

i don't understand why the wireless connection is slower to international servers compared to the wired PC. don't they all go through the same router? or am i missing something?

my wireless signal is at 54Mbps with "excellent" strength. i also tested the ping results from both the wireless and wired PCs to international servers and they are pretty much the same. there doesn't seem to be any extra latency.

- all PCs are running windows XP SP3
    - the modem/router is a D-Link 2640B

hope somebody is able to help or explain what's happening. this problem has been driving me crazy for weeks. thanks!

You can only download as fast as the connection that you are connected to will permit. That is why you are seeing the difference. Really? Doesn't anyone understand basic networking these days?

Packet losses slow speed more when latency in the connection is higher. A wired connection does not suffer wireless interference and thus does not encounter packet losses.
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but is the realisation of how much you already have" - anon