Thread: This PSU good enough to run the following...?

Advanced Member

This PSU good enough to run the following...?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817207014

looking to get a radeon 6870 gfx card, thought that seemed like a decent inexpensive PSU. Ill be powering that plus 2 hard drives, dvd burner, pretty much all thats in my sig

Should be just fine

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    I would go a little bigger. That video card wants 600 watts alone.

The total PSU Wattage this tool recommends will give a general idea of the range of continuously available power (not peak power) at which you should be looking. But if you are planning to build a high end gaming system, total Amperage available on the +12V railsóand how that capacity is distributedócould be as or more important than total Watts of power.
    Power Supply Calculator
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    I would go a little bigger. That video card wants 600 watts alone.
    That card will use around 130 watts, the rest of the system may hardly top 290 compared to a bunch of other more powerful parts using the same card and I know darn well that AMD 64x2 +3800 alone isn't going to draw no where near the power used in this review I'm posting below. The PSU he's asking about is way more than he will need.. has a high 12v rail output as well which is beyond what it needs also.

Our test system is based on a power hungry Core i7 965 / X58 based. This setup is overclocked to 3.75 GHz. Next to that we have energy saving functions disabled for this motherboard and processor (to ensure consistent benchmark results). On average we are using roughly 50 to 100 Watts more than a standard PC due to higher CPU clock settings, water-cooling, additional cold cathode lights etc.
    Measured power consumption - 6870

Advertised TDP = 127W
    System in IDLE = 172W
    System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 291W
    Difference (GPU load) = 119 W
    Add average IDLE wattage ~ 19W
    Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 138 Watts
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigaby...-6870-review/8

Advanced Member
    hey guys thanks for the chatter, informative stuff. My CPU is old but I will definitely be upgrading it and the mobo within the next 6 months to whatever processor falls in the $150 range. Thinking ahead to that, the 650 watt still ok? Who exactly are the type of people that would need to go bigger to something like 800w?

Quote Originally Posted by velvta View Post
    hey guys thanks for the chatter, informative stuff. My CPU is old but I will definitely be upgrading it and the mobo within the next 6 months to whatever processor falls in the $150 range. Thinking ahead to that, the 650 watt still ok? Who exactly are the type of people that would need to go bigger to something like 800w?
    You are fine even if you go for the top end i7 chip if you go with that PSU.... overclocking may get it within 100watts on peak usage but that's rare. Even Crysis 2 on Ultra high DX11 settings doesn't push mine that hard.