Thread: Sitecom Gaming Router, help with installation!

Sitecom Gaming Router, help with installation!

Hello,
    first of all I have to admit I have got very little knowlegde about networking. I live on a shared house and we have a talk talk broadband through a ADSL+2 router that connects to the internet through a Master Socket provided by talk talk, just like the router. The internet is not very fast so in order to use the most of my not so fast internet I bought a Sitecom Gaming router WL-309, that included a power supply, two antennas and a WAN blue cable. I red the manual how to install it but I found out I do not have a proper modem to connect it to, since my talk talk router has no WAN port and the blue WAN cable does not fit on the master socket. The talk talk router is wired with the master socket through a cable that fits on the ADSL+2 socket on the router, which is missing on my Sitecom WL-309. My question is pretty simple and I would really appreciate some help.

How do I make my router work
    Thanks for any reply and sorry for my stupidity, should have gathered more information before buying it.

You're a novice at this stuff, eh? I can see. ;-) Well, before I get into all- I'll try to clear up some terminology for you, or at least from your descriptions as to what these materials / devices / wires are.

-> The 'master socket' is your NID, or a phone line jack, and the cable going to it is probably the RJ11, which is your standard everyday house phone wiring.
    -> The WAN blue cable is actually an ethernet cable - probably CAT5(e), which would of course not fit into your standard NID, if that's the case; the cables look alike but the CAT5(e) end is slightly wider for networking standards.

This is your router you purchased ---> http://www.sitecom.com/wireless-simu...outer-ii/p/785 --- correct?

The device Talk Talk provided - can you identify a model number perhaps? And do you know if its a router / modem combo, or just modem?

Is there a reason you purchased a secondary router to the one Talk Talk provided? I'm trying to get an idea of what you can do, and whether you need to keep that WL-309 or not. It may not be necessary and you might be able to refund your money.

Hello Road Runner, thank you for your reply, and your right, I got absolute no idea about networking. I just screwed the whole connection trying to connect the WL-309 to my other router following instructions from a website. I bought the WL-309 because I want to make the most of my connection and the Stream Technology that prioritizes traffic to gaming is essential for me in a shared house where 4 people download and stream. The router I am currently using is a huawei echolife hg521, since the newer hg532 I was using this morning is not working anymore after trying to stupidly setup my sitecom router. For you to see my incompetence I bought a 8m ethernet cable to have a better signal and now im not even sure its the cable I should have bought to connect it from the router to my laptop. It is a modem router combo I think since we all use wireless, says its a Bradbandwireless N Adsl+2 Router on its back. I would like to use the Sitecom to take advantage of the Stream Technology for a less laggy online gaming. I think I should call somebody to come home and set it up since im afraid to screw it up again. Thank you

Is this the modem im missing to connect my Sitecom?
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Pr...Ethernet-Modem

Hi. I looked up the HG521 model and it seems to be modem/router combo. However it does not have any wired ports, well except for the port to connect a single computer, or secondary router.

Now, I'm not familiar with the HG521's internal settings, but I believe you'll need to find a way to shut off the wireless capabilities from the HG521 and just use this device as a plain modem/gateway to the internet. You don't want to cause conflicts in a technical sense.

Question: how does Talk Talk provide service to your modem - what type of authentication method are we talking - do you have an user name and password logged into the modem to have it signed-in at all times, or what? That would be considered PPPoE. Or do you have DHCP setup? This setup lets you plug the modem in and go; no user name/password authentication?

In general, the end-game task: the ethernet cable needs to connect the modem's WAN port to the WL-309's WAN-port. Your WL-309 needs to be setup for DHCP to provide internal IP addresses to the devices connected (wired and wireless).

I know this may all sound difficult, but it's rather easy though. However, as I said, I'm not familiar with either of the devices, and can only guide you based on what needs to be done, generally.

:-)

And what about the modem I showed you above? Would that make my life easier? My crappy router has got only one LAN socket along with the ADSL+2, I think we have a DHCP setup since I just plug in the device, look up my network connection list, put the router password and away we go.

Almost all UK ISP are PPPoE, so I guess mine is no different

Yes, I saw the link you provided; however, the current device - the HG521 - you have is fine. Whether you buy a new modem or not, you still need to configure the settings, you know? That "crappy router" is only enabled for one device to be physically connected to it - so that's either, 1. a single workstation; 2. a broadband router. The rest of the modem's functions provide WiFi networking only, which I'm not understanding why'd the make such a product. Most units I've seen that are combos have the full package for wired ports, wifi function, and modem capabilities.

So, with the HG521's WAN port you need to connect an ethernet cable to the WAN port of the WL-309.

I believe you're on PPPoE if you need to enter a 'password' of such. Hook the router to the modem --> go into the WL-309's internal page @ http://192.168.0.1 -- user name and password should both be 'admin' --> then click on the 'Wizard' tab --> select country, etc. --> then the page, choose PPPoE | enter the information from your provider to access the internet --> click 'apply'.

The instructions above are derived from your new router's manual -> http://www.sitecom.com/download/4617...sh-rev-1.1.pdf

My apologies if this sounds difficult but I'm sorta trying to figure out your connection on my end. If you need to confirm your connection is PPPoE or DHCP, contact Talk Talk.

P.S. FYI- Most ADSL products are PPPoE; cable providers usually offer DHCP.. so that may apply for your country too.

Ok Road Runner, ill explain you what I did trying to connect them yesterday and screwed the router, I followed instructions from a website, which I will not post since its on spanish. I connected the hg532 to the WL309 with a ethernet cable through 2 LAN sockets, not the WAN on my WL309, since thats what the manual said. I entered the router settings 192.168.1.1 (this is what the guy said, but thats the HG532 direction not the SITECOM, so maybe theres the problem) I went to LAN settings, I changed the last number of the ip 192.168.1.2, and I disabled the DHCP since the Sitecom would be the one in charge of giving IP's, the moment I clicked accept I lost internet for two hours until I connected my old hg521 and barely got no signal. I tryed reseting the router, unplugging it, and plugging it again I found out all the lights were green but nobody had any internet on the house. I think I will go to a store today and buy that modem, its 20$ and maybe I can get somebody on the store to help me out a little bit. Thanks for your help

Thanks Road Runner, its set and working ping : 40. Ping before Sitecomrouter, 180.

Add WISH Rule

Name :
    Priority :
    Protocol :
    Host 1 IP Range : -
    Host 1 Port Range : -
    Host 2 IP Range : -
    Host 2 Port Range : -

Thats the tool to prioritize the internet flow to a game, but I understand how to select the game. Host 1 Ip range and Port...

Quote Originally Posted by ever11vcf View Post
    Add WISH Rule

Name :
    Priority :
    Protocol :
    Host 1 IP Range : -
    Host 1 Port Range : -
    Host 2 IP Range : -
    Host 2 Port Range : -

Thats the tool to prioritize the internet flow to a game, but I understand how to select the game. Host 1 Ip range and Port...
    It's called Port Forwarding.

No problem, ever11vcf. I'm sorry I couldn't further assist with your setup; but glad you did find the proper assistance. :-)

Good luck, guy!