Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wifi

Question wifi

how do i turn on the WiFi on my computer?

WiFi

how do I turn it on, on my computer?

That's a pretty 'naked' question when you haven't provided any details with your setup- what type of PC are you using: is it a laptop or desktop? If it's a new laptop then it probably has an wifi adapter built-in; its an old laptop, then you need to verify if your have a wifi card built-in, or an adapter of some sort? Same thing goes if this is a desktop question- do you have an wifi card installed behind the computer, or external adapter?

Details. :-)

How do you check if you have a wifi card on a pc running XP?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin1968 View Post
    How do you check if you have a wifi card on a pc running XP?
    Thanks
    Look in device manager.

And would be under network adapters in device manager click on the +

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that you don't have an WiFi card with your desktop. However, to confirm- follow mspl's post above by going to the Device Manager; or you can easily check the back of your desktop to see if there's an PCI card with an antenna sticking from the back- which should be a more obvious indication.

For the Device Manager portion- you can right-click "My Computer" and go to your System Properties setup -> click Hardware tab -> click on Device Manager - > look under the category for "Network adapters" -- what do you see there?

Would one hooked to PCI be stronger (more amperage maybe) than one on USB? I have USB on my desktop works great but wondered if PCI card would be even better.

Wait, hold on. Did you find any WiFi card under the "Network adapters" category in Device Manager?

And your question... are you asking what WiFi adapter you should be using / purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post
    Wait, hold on. Did you find any WiFi card under the "Network adapters" category in Device Manager?

And your question... are you asking what WiFi adapter you should be using / purchase?
    Different person Jammin1968 doesn't know if he has one, I know I don't using adapter hooked to USB now. Just wonder if one using PCI would be stronger

My apologies, mspl; got the user names mixed up.

I'm not sure the difference "power-wise".

I do recommend PCI over USB for the simple fact it's less clutter as it's installed on the motherboard, and, in my opinion, operates more efficiently. I'm not 100% expert on this; I do recommend Googling the search query, "PCI vs USB wifi", or another phrase to that extent.

Jammin1968 if you do get a PCI make sure it has removable antenna (SMA connector) in case you have reception problems.

That must be the issue. I have a 1394 Net adapter, (hotwire), A Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC, (local connection). It is a Sony PC, If I have to purchase a WIFI Adapter, dous it get installed in a PCI slot on the motherboard or can I go USB route?

Nothing that says wifi...

Which ever you want I'm using a USB I got at amazon for $8 and 15 foot USB extension cable to get it up high. Guess I will get a PCI someday.

If I have to purchase a WIFI Adapter, dous it get installed in a PCI slot on the motherboard or can I go USB route?
    Well, most recent laptops come with WiFi connectivity with an internal unit. However, if this doesn't turn out to be the case, they do have 'notebook-adapters', see here ---> http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-.../dp/B00007KDVK ... and probably the easiest to install for a novice-user.

fixed the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post
    Well, most recent laptops come with WiFi connectivity with an internal unit. However, if this doesn't turn out to be the case, they do have 'notebook-adapters', see here ---> http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-.../dp/B00007KDVK ... and probably the easiest to install for a novice-user.
    got the wireless adapter and configured it and everything works well, now, do you know of a website for cleaning up the registry for free?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    do you know of a website for cleaning up the registry for free?
    Stay far far away from those....most of those are actually malware distributing sites. And registry cleaners are snake oil anyways...you don't need them. If you insist on using one, just use a very mild one like the one built into "CCleaner" from Piriform, or Eusing Free.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

PCI or USB- doesn't matter.

Well, my pc is lagging bad!! I've defragged the disk, have AVG doing scans everyday. How would I make it so my pc runs quicker?