Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow, this place died!

Blog Entries
    Social forums took a hit from facebook. Of course Sid, there are many like yourself who simply found other pastimes.

Good to hear from you.

namaste,
    david

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Social forums took a hit from facebook. Of course Sid, there are many like yourself who simply found other pastimes.

Good to hear from you.

namaste,
    david
    This isn't a social forum... this is a hardware/software forum for the most part - specializing in broadband which is what lead me here. The things taking the toll on the site as a whole is advancements in operating systems and auto tuning. You don't need to search for ways to Optimize no more as it's already done. Back about 10-12 years ago we were all trying to find every way possible to squeeze the most out of our connections and computers which is what lead me here myself.

Facebook is hurting just people in general, there is a big lack of social gathering now cause of it. You don't have the real interaction like you used to have cause of the ability it has givin mostly youth a lazy way to do things.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    This isn't a social forum... this is a hardware/software forum for the most part - specializing in broadband which is what lead me here. The things taking the toll on the site as a whole is advancements in operating systems and auto tuning. You don't need to search for ways to Optimize no more as it's already done. Back about 10-12 years ago we were all trying to find every way possible to squeeze the most out of our connections and computers which is what lead me here myself..
    The original intent of the site drew people to the site, but some of the crowd found the "general" forum and that became the social forum of the site. Same thing with many..many other forums out there, that have a "general/BS" subforum.

Beginning with myspace, and continuing with facebook...lots of people relocated their "social" forum activity to those venues...which originated with "social" as a purpose.

The "big lack of social gathering" happened waaaay way way before facebook, if people wanted to sit in front of the glow of their computer and pale like a mushroom all night...they were doing it anyways, before facebook. Facebook just had a lot of people relocate their virtual hangouts....from various forums, to it.

The same migration of social activity has occurred in many other forums that I frequent....their general/bs forums have slowed tremendously.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    This isn't a social forum... this is a hardware/software forum for the most part - specializing in broadband which is what lead me here. The things taking the toll on the site as a whole is advancements in operating systems and auto tuning. You don't need to search for ways to Optimize no more as it's already done. Back about 10-12 years ago we were all trying to find every way possible to squeeze the most out of our connections and computers which is what lead me here myself.

Facebook is hurting just people in general, there is a big lack of social gathering now cause of it. You don't have the real interaction like you used to have cause of the ability it has givin mostly youth a lazy way to do things.
    Do you see the irony of this post in the General forum? I was drawn here in 2000 for similar reasons, many of which have become superfluous (as you noted). Yet, here we are.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    The original intent of the site drew people to the site, but some of the crowd found the "general" forum and that became the social forum of the site. Same thing with many..many other forums out there, that have a "general/BS" subforum.

Beginning with myspace, and continuing with facebook...lots of people relocated their "social" forum activity to those venues...which originated with "social" as a purpose.

The "big lack of social gathering" happened waaaay way way before facebook, if people wanted to sit in front of the glow of their computer and pale like a mushroom all night...they were doing it anyways, before facebook. Facebook just had a lot of people relocate their virtual hangouts....from various forums, to it.

The same migration of social activity has occurred in many other forums that I frequent....their general/bs forums have slowed tremendously.
    I couldn't have said it better. Thank you YOSC. Years ago before MySpace and Facebook, there was AOL Chat rooms, Paltalk, etc.

I like my Facebook page because I can express myself, not have to justify myself, and the people who are on my page accept me. They have the option to leave my "friend's list" if they want. I am not a Facebook APP JUNKIE. Again, I use it to express thoughts, feelings, beliefs, share info and even some general humor.

I am experiencing major life changes and I am socializing with "like-minded" people offline more than I have ever done before.

Love ya Frank!

I've talked to many current HS students in the recent months and pretty much all agree that Facebook for the most part sucks up a big part of their life now to be in the "IN" crowd. They would rather sit at home and be on that site rather than out and about hanging with friends but it's not all to blame. High gas prices is another big issue keeping em at home cause many can't afford the old past time of CRUISING around and just enjoying a good night out on the town. Facebook was a talk on a major news outlet the other week as being really a major issue for teens as a addiction - not just a internet addiction but a FACEBOOK addiction which kills real social interaction. Constantly have friends say I should get one so we can talk.. I just look at them and say WE ARE TALKING NOW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    I couldn't have said it better. Thank you YOSC. Years ago before MySpace and Facebook, there was AOL Chat rooms, Paltalk, etc.
    Those other places you listed are no where near as dominate as Facebook is today... even if you combine them, Facebook has a HUGE advantage even here at SG there is FB icons just look up top for the little f connect button LOL

I've talked to many current HS students in the recent months and pretty much all agree that Facebook for the most part sucks up a big part of their life now to be in the "IN" crowd.
    "HS kids"..yeah. But I'm talking overall, everyone, across the board. Suddenly HS kids is a smaller percentage.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

"HS kids"..yeah. But I'm talking overall, everyone, across the board. Suddenly HS kids is a smaller percentage.
    Just a fraction of the whole overall amount that is effected the same way...gotta start somewhere and just for those teens it really has a lasting effect on their adult future. Problem is with most people they don't want to admit they have a problem or they are addicted to the site. Many others don't want to believe there is a problem or refuse to believe a problem exists from this and other sites...but it's a huge problem!

One of many many examples...

With more than 350 million active users worldwide, the social networking site Facebook has become a household name. But some households are pulling the plug.

For Michigan 10th grader Neeka Salmasi, chatting and messaging with her friends on Facebook had become a huge problem.

In the beginning, she said she'd be online for as little as 20 minutes a day, but then those minutes grew into a couple of hours on weekdays and sometimes as long as six hours on the weekend.

She wasn't doing other tasks, and her grades were slipping.

"It's like an addiction," the teen said. "You look up one moment and it's day and you look up another moment and it's night."
    Like so many teenagers across the country, the girls were struggling to find a balance between social media and their everyday lives.

Sherry Turkle, a professor of psychology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, said people are now dropping in and out of Facebook, and learning how to integrate it into their lives in better ways.

"We're not going to be taking away the Internet," she said. "It's more a question of living with these devices that so compel us, in a way that serves our human purposes."

Salmasi seems to have found the right balance.

"(The) first week was hard," she said. "My friends didn't know how I could do it but my studying habits improved."

Internet safety expert Parry Aftab says that a teen's Internet use rises to the level of addiction when "things are out of balance."

"They aren't doing things offline," she said, or they don't have any friends offline. "They're all-consumed."

If you suspect your teen has a problem, she recommends looking at their page. "How often are they posting? If it gets really bad you can use monitoring software," she said. "You have to determine whether they like it a lot, they're obsessed, or they really are addicted."

Parents have to recognize that "the kids don't see it as a site, they see it as life," she said. "It's how they live, and what we need to do is find balance."
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Parenting/...ory?id=9430680

Kids today is where we need to start to limit usage - but sites like Facebook are increasing how they interact with each other and it's like a bully factor.. If you don't have a Facebook then you are left out etc etc.
    Last edited by Sava700; 06-09-11 at 02:30 PM.

LSD melts in your mind, not in your hand.
    I am still here..or there...maybe over here
    what up Sid?

r u xprincD
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security
    Moderator-Beta Tester @ Outpost Users Support Forum

Blog Entries
    Hey hayc59

As to social networks... They do not provide the same type of experience, and do not cater to discussions around specific areas of interest. I don't see them as a complete replacement for forums. Even in real life people gather at different venues based on their interests... Facebook "integration" just gives a convenient way for FB users to register here faster.

LSD melts in your mind, not in your hand.
    Yo and hello Phillip

r u xprincD
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security
    Moderator-Beta Tester @ Outpost Users Support Forum

Kids today is where we need to start to limit usage - but sites like Facebook are increasing how they interact with each other and it's like a bully factor.. If you don't have a Facebook then you are left out etc etc.
    There's always going to be something with the kids. Before facebook there was myspace. Before myspace there were things like AIM, MSN, etc. Before that there was ICQ and before that there was mIRC and before that....
    And TV, and Nintendo, and before that Atari, and...and...

When we gave them electronics and media..it started. I can remember cable TV having a huge impact, I grew up in the days of the big Archer antennas up on the roof. TV wasn't that big of a draw back then for kids, what with 3 or 4 channels to pull from, pretty much just Saturday morning cartoons. Then cable TV came.

The parents give the kid a TV, a computer, a smart phone...and pay for it all. Who's to blame? It ain't facebook..that's just the current trend. 2-3 years from now it'll be something else.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    As to social networks... They do not provide the same type of experience, and do not cater to discussions around specific areas of interest. I don't see them as a complete replacement for forums.

I'm back from vacation. The place will almost certainly become busy now.

Hi Sid!!!!!!!!!
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post
    Hi Sid!!!!!!!!!
    Wow..look who the cat dragged in!!!
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Wow..look who the cat dragged in!!!
    Makes ya wonder where he's been hiding don't it.... I've not seen him since earlier January after reading this:

Seven pygmy goats were stolen from their pen on January 5. "This has just been devastating," Kathy Dean told news sources, fighting back tears. Dean and her daughter Tara described how the animals would always run up to the gate to greet themthe pair fear that their animals will wind up slaughtered. "They're not livestock," Dean insisted. "They're family members!" A pair of dark gloves and one white sneaker were found at the scene. Police have yet to make any arrests in connection with the theft of these animals. That's why PETA is offering up to $1,000 for information leading to safe return of the goats and the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for their theft.

"The Deans' goats need to be back in the care of the people who know and love them," says PETA Director Martin Mersereau. "We hope that someone will find the animals so that they can be reunited with their family."
    http://www.peta.org/mediacenter/news...ing-Goats.aspx

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    I’m trying to liven things up by making new threads. I wish everybody would quite being so damn lazy, find something interesting and at least make one new thread.

Here this will make it easier, make an account with your interest and stumble upon something interesting,

http://www.stumbleupon.com/home/
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post
    Hi Sid!!!!!!!!!
    Hey Doc, I see you still can't get it up.... I mean you're post count, lol.

If I missed a few names, sorry, who did I miss, Debbie, rudy, Hayc, David. Hope all is going well for you in this time of our nations big troubles.

Besides migration to social media, I think tweaking/overclocking in general has just been on the decline. For instance, the Overclocking & Cooling subforum on HardOCP has a mere 10 active in the past 2 weeks: http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.ph...sc&daysprune=2