Thread: Question on Asus laptop performance

Question on Asus laptop performance

I bought a new Asus laptop a month ago:

(ASUS - Laptop / Intel® Core™ i3 Processor / 15.6" Display / 4GB Memory / 640GB Hard Drive - Burgundy Model: U52F-BBG6 Intel® Core™ i3-380M processor Features a 3MB L3 cache and 2.53GHz processor speed.)

I was doing the windows performance test tonight and comparing it to my old Acer and was surprised to find that the old acer had a processor rating of 4.4 and my Asus had a 3.1. The memory rating on the Asus is 4.8 and the Acer was 5.1, and the Asus has twice the amount of RAM.

The Acer specs are:

Intel Celeron mobile processor 3MB L2 cache, 2.13 GHz 667 FSB and 2 GB DDR2 @ 667 mhz.

I'm thinking I must have something set wrong! The i3 should pound the Cleron shouldn't they? Same OS (Windows 7 home premium 64 bit with almosst the same programs installed.

Any suggestions on what I have set wrong ? I haven't changed the factory settings.

Thanks in advance!

I checked the BIOS settings and there isn't any options that I could find that would improve performance. I turned off the super hybrid engine and re-ran the test and it went up to 4.0, but it's still lower that I thought a i3 would be compared to a Celeron.
    Last edited by westy; 05-15-11 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Update
    "We do not inherit the Earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children."

Asus P5Q-E LGA 775 / Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale / Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro / NVIDIA GTX650 Ti Boost / Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) / Corsair CMPSU-650TX / Asus 20X DRW-2014L1T / Klipsch 4.1 / Creative Sound Blaster Z / Crucial MX100 CT512MX100SSD1 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive / Too many hard drives to mention.....

the i3 is a better processor than the celeron by far, but the i3 also uses integrated graphics vs the ASUS you had with the celeron prob had a graphics chip of it's own. I'm not sure either way but could be lots of variables between the two. But since it's prob got integrated graphics it's using some of the memory you have as well which is prob dropping the performance level, the hard drive is bigger but could be slower than the older one... what graphics chip if any did both have? You should be able to do a dxdiag in the run bar to see by clicking the display tab which should also tell you if your drivers are updated recently.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Were you plugged into power when you ran the test?
    The Windows Experience Index is a joke anyways....I've seen it all over the place. What counts is...hows does it run for you? How does it respond to you? You should be able to tell if it's running better or worse than your prior laptop.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I think both have integrated graphics, but not sure. I know the Asus does. The Acer was a BB deal, and at $ 239.00, I can't believe it had a dedicated graphics card. I'll Have to check. Both were plugged in and I do a pretty good job on keeping all drivers up to date. Neither as speed demons, but the old Acer seems faster at some tasks. Maybe I'll hae to clean a little more bloatware off the new Asus. I have anti-malwarebytes running on the Asus and I know it's a resource hog, but a good program. Do running proggies make a difference? I don't recall if I put a 7200 HD in the old Acer, but I usually do that to all my laptops first thing. I left the Asus 5400 as is 'cause it runs good and seems to generate more heat than the Acer, and a 7200 HD would only add to that heat.

Asus P5Q-E LGA 775 / Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale / Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro / NVIDIA GTX650 Ti Boost / Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) / Corsair CMPSU-650TX / Asus 20X DRW-2014L1T / Klipsch 4.1 / Creative Sound Blaster Z / Crucial MX100 CT512MX100SSD1 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive / Too many hard drives to mention.....

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    I have anti-malwarebytes running on the Asus and I know it's a resource hog, but a good program. Do running proggies make a difference? I don't recall if I put a 7200 HD in the old Acer, but I usually do that to all my laptops first thing. I left the Asus 5400 as is 'cause it runs good and seems to generate more heat than the Acer, and a 7200 HD would only add to that heat.
    Umm what? "anti-malwarebytes"??? If you're talking about malwarebytes anti-malware it's ran on demand and is not a resource hog even when running. Post a hijackthis log of you're new comp...i'm curious

Here's the log- Thanks for looking it over!

C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\ProtectionUtilSurrogate.exe
    C:\Windows\AsScrPro.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ControlDeck\ControlDeck.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
    C:\Windows\sysWow64\SearchProtocolHost.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://asus.msn.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://asus.msn.com
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://asus.msn.com
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe,
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Messenger Companion Helper - {9FDDE16B-836F-4806-AB1F-1455CBEFF289} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Companion\companioncore.dll
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O2 - BHO: SmartSelect - {F4971EE7-DAA0-4053-9964-665D8EE6A077} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateLBPShortCut] "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\LabelPrint\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\LabelPrint" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\LabelPrint\2.5"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateP2GoShortCut] "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Power2Go\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Power2Go" UpdateWithCreateOnce "SOFTWARE\CyberLink\Power2Go\6.0"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATKOSD2] C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATKOSD2\ATKOSD2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATKMEDIA] C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Media\DMedia.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HControlUser] C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\HControlUser.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Wireless Console 3] C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\Wireless Console 3\wcourier.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acrobat Assistant 8.0] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrotray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe" /starttray
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ControlCenter3] C:\Program Files (x86)\Brother\ControlCenter3\brctrcen.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BrStsMon00] C:\Program Files (x86)\Browny02\Brother\BrStMonW.exe /AUTORUN
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CLMLServer] "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Power2Go\CLMLSvc.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: Best Buy pc app.lnk = C:\ProgramData\Best Buy pc app\ClickOnceSetup.exe (User 'Default user')
    O4 - Global Startup: SRS Premium Sound.lnk = ?
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Append Link Target to Existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Append to Existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert Link Target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Companion\companionlang.dll,-600 - {0000036B-C524-4050-81A0-243669A86B9F} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Companion\companioncore.dll
    O9 - Extra button: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriterShortcuts.dll,-1004 - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriterShortcuts.dll,-1003 - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
    O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
    O16 - DPF: {0D41B8C5-2599-4893-8183-00195EC8D5F9} (asusTek_sysctrl Class) - http://support.asus.com/select/asusTek_sys_ctrl3.cab
    O18 - Protocol: wlpg - {E43EF6CD-A37A-4A9B-9E6F-83F89B8E6324} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\AlbumDownloadProtocolHandler.dll
    O23 - Service: AFBAgent - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\FBAgent.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: ASLDR Service (ASLDRService) - ASUS - C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\ASLDRSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: ATKGFNEX Service (ATKGFNEXSrv) - ASUS - C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATKGFNEX\GFNEXSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: BrYNSvc - Brother Industries, Ltd. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Browny02\BrYNSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
    O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Diskeeper Corporation - C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiMAX Red Bend Device Management Service (DMAgent) - Red Bend Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Intel\WiMAX\Bin\DMAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\EvtEng.exe
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Logitech Bluetooth Service (LBTServ) - Logitech, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\Bluetooth\lbtserv.exe
    O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~2\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Management and Security Application Local Management Service (LMS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\LMS\LMS.exe
    O23 - Service: MBAMService - Malwarebytes Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Wireless PAN DHCP Server (MyWiFiDHCPDNS) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\PanDhcpDns.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\RegSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Symantec Management Client (SmcService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\Smc.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Symantec Endpoint Protection (Symantec AntiVirus) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\Rtvscan.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Management & Security Application User Notification Service (UNS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\UNS\UNS.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiMAX Service (WiMAXAppSrv) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\WiMAX\Bin\AppSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
    End of file - 13008 bytes

I don't see much of anything on there to be concerned with... but if you ask me, if you don't have much on there yet as in stuff you don't mind re installing then I'd format that sucker and put a fresh copy of Win7 on it as it won't be bogged down with some free trial junk and asus crap. Just get a OEM iso of Win7 whatever version you're running and burn a disk.. boot from it and off you go.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Using an antivirus other than Symantec Endpoint Security will free up a lot of resources. Symantec has lightened up their home AV products substantially, but their corporate product will still bog down systems.

The U series Asus laptops I've worked on don't come with a lot of bloat in them otherwise.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

If you do decide to do a clean install and don't have the DVD, don't sweat trying to find a DVD to match your version of Windows 7. The Windows 7 DVD contains all versions, it's just locked into one version by the ei.cfg file. Remove that file from the sources folder on the DVD and you'll get a menu and can select any version you want to install. Your product code has to match the version you select so you can't cheat. If you select Ultimate and try to enter a Home Premium key it will just get rejected. Just borrow a DVD, 32 bit or 64 bit, depending on which one you want to install, and make an ISO image from it. Then go into the sources folder, delete the ei.cfg file and burn a new disk. Or better yet, use the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool to create a bootable USB Windows 7 install drive. The install is a lot quicker from a thumb drive.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

You can download the ISO's from here...

http://www.mydigitallife.info/downlo...ownload-links/

Sava, ftw

Shame that their vista links don't work.

These ones include SP1. My Windows 7 Home Premium key works with both the SP and non SP DVD's. May as well grab the latest and greatest version.
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/downlo...egrated-image/
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    These ones include SP1. My Windows 7 Home Premium key works with both the SP and non SP DVD's. May as well grab the latest and greatest version.
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/downlo...egrated-image/
    yeah lol I posted wrong one, had both booked marked together