Thread: Movie studios and the Feds will now be able to sue websites to shut them down ?

Blog Entries

Movie studios and the Feds will now be able to sue websites to shut them down ?

http://www.speedguide.net/news/senat...blacklist-4216

What do you guys think ? Seems movie studios are pushing online censorship to our side of the pond, "o'er the land of the free"...

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    That's going to take some business away from us. We get a lot of computers brought in for malware cleaning...and I often see "Potato Click" in there as the cause of the rootkit infection. Potato Click is a special "viewer" that is commonly used to watch movies over the internet from illegal free hosting sites.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    I'm sure there are good candidates.. However, I'm much more concerned that it gives a lot of power to the RIAA and the Fed to play God, they can simply sue any small/low budget websites deemed inapropriate, put them out of business and essentially make them dissapear from the net.

Certified SG Addict
    Another power the RIAA seeks is against services like Amazon's Cloud Player; they feel if you didn't purchase the music from Amazon or iTunes but you've stored it in your "cloud locker", that it must be illegal. They want the ability to delete those files you've uploaded without your consent, and place the burden of proof on you to provide receipts showing you owned the ripped music. It is beyond insane.

I agree with Burke here (it's that time of the year), the RIAA/MPAA are over stepping as they are losing out on so many other fronts.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    If you are breaking the law they should be able to shut you down. Of course they have to file suit and go through the proper channels. They can’t just arbitrarily shut sites down, the burden of proof is on them.

The movie companies do charge us a lot to see and buy a movie but I don’t blame them at all for trying to stop theft of their product. There is an incredible amount of logistics involved in producing a movie.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    If you are breaking the law they should be able to shut you down. Of course they have to file suit and go through the proper channels. They can’t just arbitrarily shut sites down, the burden of proof is on them.

The movie companies do charge us a lot to see and buy a movie but I don’t blame them at all for trying to stop theft of their product. There is an incredible amount of logistics involved in producing a movie.
    Who's law? Many of these sites are hosted in countries that don't have the same strict laws the US has.

It's amazing the restrictions we have in this country...

Blog Entries
    There are a couple online sites which have overt piracy, noting downloaders for the likes of Youtube and grooveshark. It becomes a similar argument to taping in the age of VCRs, differ in that masses are involved in the broadcasting of media.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Actually, the Justice Department already has a lot of power to seize domestic properties, including websites ( under 18 U.S.C. ß 2323 ) and has done it before.

This bill expands the power over nondomestic domain names... The argument of Right holders is that they don't have any means to combat piracy-driven foreign websites that ignore their takedown requests (The Pirate Bay)... So they're lobbying for legislation that gets the whole DNS system (at a significant cost) to regulate Internet access (granted, subject to some legal procedure that they can afford).

There are a few issues, as I see them:
    - Such websites contain a lot of non-infringing information, they are simply portals that facilitate the exchange of information. Taking down such portals makes no distinction for non-offending content.
    - The bill may eventually be used to disable sites like WikiLeaks
    - It puts an unnecessary and costly additional burden on the DNS and legal system (ultimately paid by you) to benefit Rights holders.
    - U.S. law reaching for universal jurisdiction to police the Internet ?

As David already stated, if it was for the RIAA, we wouldn't have VCRs, DVRs, CD/DVD+Rs, or any other recording technology. It suppresses any innovation that inteferes with their profit margin arguing that it suppresses their creativity. This is another shot at stoping/defunding torrent sites, disregarding any merits of the technology, and the bill overreaches into international territory.

Not to sidestep the issue... I guess I'm just not that much of a movie fan. I don't get the whole "streaming - download" craze. Why and how people get sucked into thinking every teaser they see on TV makes the new such and such movie an instant classic. I just don't get it. 95% of the stuff I see advertised should of only made it to the small screen. Why it's showing in a theater and commanding a high dollar price is beyond me. I wouldn't bother watching that 95% even with a NetFlix account.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    If you are breaking the law they should be able to shut you down. Of course they have to file suit and go through the proper channels. They canít just arbitrarily shut sites down, the burden of proof is on them.

The movie companies do charge us a lot to see and buy a movie but I donít blame them at all for trying to stop theft of their product. There is an incredible amount of logistics involved in producing a movie.
    I agree with you,music and movies are owned property of the producer of them,they should have a say in how and what and $ distribution of their property is done.It could be paralleled to knockoffs of designer purses or watches,etc,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    Not to sidestep the issue... I guess I'm just not that much of a movie fan. I don't get the whole "streaming - download" craze. Why and how people get sucked into thinking every teaser they see on TV makes the new such and such movie an instant classic. I just don't get it. 95% of the stuff I see advertised should of only made it to the small screen. Why it's showing in a theater and commanding a high dollar price is beyond me. I wouldn't bother watching that 95% even with a NetFlix account.

Just my 2 cents.
    I agree Mike,I don't get what is the big deal about the music/movie download thing is ,if I want music I buy it,and my movies through netflix fit my needs just fine.
    but then I don't text either ! if I want to talk to someone I will call them.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Who's law? Many of these sites are hosted in countries that don't have the same strict laws the US has.
    Granted many of these sites are hosted overseas where we have little to no jurisdiction. I’m sure the MPAA and RIAA will figure out a way to keep their DNS from propagating to the US and other countries who are willing to cooperate.

When the net first started it used to be the wild, wild west. Now some rules are getting established. It’s up to us to make certain the powers that be don’t go overboard, they have a tendency to do that.

I’m sure if someone stole a million dollars from you, you would be a little upset. That’s how the MPAA and RIAA feels. I think they’re the devil, they have used Gestapo tactics in the past. All they’re going to do is use the theft as an excuse to raise the price to see a movie or buy a CD.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................