Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: this place is lost,it's gone to ....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    I think Philip will post a comment in this thread soon.
    What's a thread ?

FB, Twitter and the like have put a dent on the General Forum, that is true. Some people have moved on from broadband tweaking to other forums. Still, SG has made any traffic that we lost in the general forum with content on the main site, SG is pretty much alive. As far as the General forum, it's what we make of it <shrug>

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    so I found what I was looking for,I am looking at this,
    I want 1080p & Pandora & Netflix & & USB in & HDMI out,

I like this one,

http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/.../?partner=4760

Dell has it for $108 otd
    My blu-ray player does the same thing and more, it plays blu rays lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    My blu-ray player does the same thing and more, it plays blu rays lol
    I already have a high end brp but it doesn't do netflix or pandora

Yes I just got mine not long ago it does all that and more, Hulu, Netflix, Pandora etc.
    Western Digital also makes a nice player like the one you listed but not sure what all it has.

Quote Originally Posted by minir View Post
    ---

Hi Meggie

My Grandmother told me when i was a young man that the quickest way to an argument was to bring up religion or politics and that i have found over the years to be true in most cases.

People have strong beliefs on these 2 subjects and in most cases they are lifelong and they believe they are correct and all others wrong (In many cases this was taught by Clery or Parents from a young age). When push comes to shove it usually boils down to a deterioration in the conversation and harsh words being exchanged.

In a forum such as this imho they are usually best avoided to retain peace amongst the group. Lord knows there are enough things to disagree on without ones personal beliefs being brought into play.

I'm one who believes that if your choice of belief is not harmful to others then I'm happy that you have found that which brings you contentment & peace in your decision.

It is one thing to discuss Ford vs Chevy but an altogether different issue when it is Protestant vs Catholic or Muslim, etc. When ones core belief is on the line via religion or politics the gloves always come off.

Unfortunately personal feelings are involved and it usually carries over from their to other posts with sniping & caustic remarks being made on things totally unrelated, such is the nature of the beast.

Again just my opinion on something i probably should not have gotten involved in and will now bow out of before anything further escalates.

---

regards

minir

Minir, I see where you are coming from and I agree to you to some extent. But im not talking about religion and politics in a one is right and one is wrong kind of way, but more in regards to current events. I personally find it pretty interesting the different ways that people view the same issue. I think if people can be mature adults, talking about that stuff doesnt mean that it has to be an out for blood kind of argument but more simply a statement of personal opinions. I got see whole different perspectives on issues by reading the threads here, especially the ones that people had a very emotional reaction to.

maybe your right, that we should not discuss that stuff here, considering how many people have decided not to come back based on those sorts of topics. But I personally miss the thought evoking threads more then I miss most of the people that threw a tantrum and never returned. Just my personal opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by brembo
    "This is a stick-up...I have an armadillo in my pants"

Blog Entries
    Good evening Meggie

I think we are pretty much on the same page re this issue Meggie. I too long for the days when we could and did have these discussions with people like Seed, David, YOSC, blebs, and many others that carried on a debate and allowed it to end on friendly terms with everyone at least respecting the others points of view and allowing us to agree to disagree without hard feelings. To be sure there were many a day spent when one was challenged intellectually to dig deep to validate their views on these subjects and much was learned on all sides from these topics. Unfortunately there were those who simply could not accept some points and it got to be a shouting match & hard feelings coming to the fore.

In any group it seems this is bound to happen and that is why in my humble opinion these topics are best avoided for the overall health of the forum. Just my view of it Meggie & hell i've been wrong before.

Have a good one & nice to see Your Smilin Face again.

--

regards

Larry

Admit it, you miss my job threads.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    Admit it, you miss my job threads.
    ---

Hey CD

Don't tell me there is someone out there still handing you a paycheck, My Lord there must be a shortage of good help.

---

regards

minir

Blog Entries
    nos·tal·gia
       [no-stal-juh, -jee-uh, nuh-] Show IPA
    –noun
    a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time: a nostalgia for his college days.
    something that elicits or displays nostalgia.

Oh, do I feel it.

The broadband section is doing well, remaining vital and informative. The general section has suffered from other social sources. Indeed, it is like a corner bar or an MMORPG, a persistent personal presence is needed to keep the clique/group/organization live and organic. Attrition, for whatever reason, has taken its toll.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    Admit it, you miss my babe threads.
    Yep
    Kinky is using a feather.
    Perverted is using the whole chicken.

Well, I am sure that it is a mixture of reasons...

First off, when new people do arrive, oftentimes they are jumped on for not posting in what some consider the correct form or wording, perhaps due to a different first language, many accused of being a spammer with out being given a chance... Who wants to stick around where they don't feel welcome...?

Then of course, many simply answer a question with 'google it' or don't you know how to use the search, forgetting that everyone is not of the same level of computing knowledge. Searching is an art in itself...

Many were run off by not conforming to the thoughts that the majority had. The tolerance for differing viewpoints was lost along the way leaving a group of people all in agreement and making the boards very boring as a result... Be careful what you wish for... It is much easier to find a new place than to have to deal with gang rape…

Things might change if people became a little more helpful and welcoming to new comers and a little more tolerant with others beliefs and ideas…

There is a lot of competition out there, to get people to come back and stay is the trick...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Well, I am sure that it is a mixture of reasons...

First off, when new people do arrive, oftentimes they are jumped on for not posting in what some consider the correct form or wording, perhaps due to a different first language, many accused of being a spammer with out being given a chance... Who wants to stick around where they don't feel welcome...?

Then of course, many simply answer a question with 'google it' or don't you know how to use the search, forgetting that everyone is not of the same level of computing knowledge. Searching is an art in itself...

Many were run off by not conforming to the thoughts that the majority had. The tolerance for differing viewpoints was lost along the way leaving a group of people all in agreement and making the boards very boring as a result... Be careful what you wish for... It is much easier to find a new place than to have to deal with gang rape…

Things might change if people became a little more helpful and welcoming to new comers and a little more tolerant with others beliefs and ideas…

There is a lot of competition out there, to get people to come back and stay is the trick...
    Smapper.
    Kinky is using a feather.
    Perverted is using the whole chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by minir View Post
    ---

Hey CD

Don't tell me there is someone out there still handing you a paycheck, My Lord there must be a shortage of good help.

---

regards

minir

Blog Entries
    Everybody seems happy again.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while guys, looks like I was missed too. Hey, did you guys hear, oBama is trying to get credit for killing Osama and he used the same tactics that he campained against to nail him. What a hypocrite this foo is.
    I Hope He Fails

Blog Entries
    Speaking of politics, lol, nice way to light the fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    Sorry I haven't posted in a while guys, looks like I was missed too. Hey, did you guys hear, oBama is trying to get credit for killing Osama and he used the same tactics that he campained against to nail him. What a hypocrite this foo is.
    Nah, you'll never be missed.
    Your presence, sure.
    Your words, and personality?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    What's the difference between Obama and Osama? BS
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

this place is lost,it's gone to $hit
    http://forums.speedguide.net/showthr....&daysprune=10

I didn't start it!