Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 114

Thread: this place is lost,it's gone to ....

  1. #21
    R.I.P. 2013-11-22 blebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    North Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    12,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    FB damages more than just forums... but that's a whole other discussion. The damn site has almost gotten worse than World of Warcraft.
    I know. I went to the place, stayed a whole week, then got the hell out of Dodge. People are so ignorant in their postings. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the government were cataloging the entire site.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

  2. #22
    R.I.P. 2013-11-22 blebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    North Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    12,819
    Quote Originally Posted by JawZ View Post
    As soon as the 2012 elections roll around I'm sure there will be plenty of discussions where people get to trash one another...and then leave.
    Why don't we just trash one another and stick around to trash each other even more?
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

  3. #23
    Uninsured for your health
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    10,032
    Quote Originally Posted by JawZ View Post
    As soon as the 2012 elections roll around I'm sure there will be plenty of discussions where people get to trash one another...and then leave.
    This is actually why I haven't posted here much in a while...that combined with all the vailed recism made it feel too negagive when I came here one day and saw almost everything on the gen forum saying "Illegals did it again" or "hooray for illegals, destroying our country" if it wasn't in the thread title, it was in the initial post..."they should go back where they came from"

    I've been told I should go back where I came from...by a guy with a noticable Euro accent so he himself hadn't been here very long. If life is to return to normal and old posters to return, drop those that would make some think this site was founded by racist techies
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

  4. #24
    TypicalWhitePerson JC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Single Wide
    Posts
    4,560
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoKid View Post
    This is actually why I haven't posted here much in a while...that combined with all the vailed recism made it feel too negagive when I came here one day and saw almost everything on the gen forum saying "Illegals did it again" or "hooray for illegals, destroying our country" if it wasn't in the thread title, it was in the initial post..."they should go back where they came from"

    I've been told I should go back where I came from...by a guy with a noticable Euro accent so he himself hadn't been here very long. If life is to return to normal and old posters to return, drop those that would make some think this site was founded by racist techies

    Ya know what pisses me off? Fools like yourself constantly spouting "raaaaaacism". Why don't you go look up the definition of "racism" before you start running off at the mouth. An overused word for sure. Go back to figuring out how to get something from the government, jackass.
    Speedguide.... If you don't love Obama you won't like it here.
    Straight out the Trailer!
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

    MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 3G of Ram, OS X

  5. #25
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,992
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoKid View Post
    This is actually why I haven't posted here much in a while...that combined with all the vailed recism made it feel too negagive when I came here one day and saw almost everything on the gen forum saying "Illegals did it again" or "hooray for illegals, destroying our country" if it wasn't in the thread title, it was in the initial post..."they should go back where they came from"

    I've been told I should go back where I came from...by a guy with a noticable Euro accent so he himself hadn't been here very long. If life is to return to normal and old posters to return, drop those that would make some think this site was founded by racist techies
    Telling illegal immigrants to go back to their country isn't racist.

  6. #26
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,786

  7. #27
    SG MVP Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SG Tavern
    Posts
    18,878
    We could complain about it or do something about it. Lets start something to get posting numbers back up.

  8. #28
    A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    4,435
    Blog Entries
    1
    I think Philip will post a comment in this thread soon.
    _______________________________________________
    Vendor neutral certified in IT Project Management, IT Security, Cisco Networking, Cisco Security, Wide Area Networks, IPv6, IT Hardware, Unix, Linux, and Windows server administration

  9. #29
    R.I.P. 2015-05-13 minir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    27,942
    Blog Entries
    1
    Religion, politics & the lack of civil discourse certainly have played a part in the loss of posters here imho.

    Also the pigeonholing of too many topics brought up in the General Forum and having them sent to other Forums is also in part responsible imho.

    When the General Forum was more open and a bit of a catchall it brought more people in. Cooking, cars, jokes & in many cases computer problems along with the simple need to discuss a problem with others for second opions kept the place active & alive with many regulars from around the world in differing time zones taking place on a 24/7 basis.

    It was not unusual to have all night discussions on varying topics. Australia, England, Germany, Hawaii & Canada all had posters who contributed to the Forum in a mostly friendly manner and you showed up for fear of missing something.

    Perhaps now with so many other sites vying for the same audience it is no longer possible?

    As i have said many times in the past i considered SG General Forum like a Corner Bar where i stopped in to catch up with the news and was greeted by friends made here from all parts of the globe. Seldom did i leave without a laugh a little more knowledge and a feeling of well being for having checked in.

    Just my opinion for what its worth. I'm sure others having differing opinions as well.
    ---

    minir

  10. #30
    Resident Atheist Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Orangevale ,Ca
    Posts
    18,682
    Lol I should have posted it this way instead ! then asked for help,it sure did get a lot of replies being negative and pissed off !

  11. #31
    R.I.P. 2013-11-22 blebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    North Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    12,819
    Quote Originally Posted by minir View Post
    Religion, politics & the lack of civil discourse certainly have played a part in the loss of posters here imho.

    Also the pigeonholing of too many topics brought up in the General Forum and having them sent to other Forums is also in part responsible imho.

    When the General Forum was more open and a bit of a catchall it brought more people in. Cooking, cars, jokes & in many cases computer problems along with the simple need to discuss a problem with others for second opions kept the place active & alive with many regulars from around the world in differing time zones taking place on a 24/7 basis.

    It was not unusual to have all night discussions on varying topics. Australia, England, Germany, Hawaii & Canada all had posters who contributed to the Forum in a mostly friendly manner and you showed up for fear of missing something.

    Perhaps now with so many other sites vying for the same audience it is no longer possible?

    As i have said many times in the past i considered SG General Forum like a Corner Bar where i stopped in to catch up with the news and was greeted by friends made here from all parts of the globe. Seldom did i leave without a laugh a little more knowledge and a feeling of well being for having checked in.

    Just my opinion for what its worth. I'm sure others having differing opinions as well.
    ---

    minir
    I agree. It was like that. Now, you can almost always count on some type of personal attack if you don't see things the same way as someone else. I can remember when we agreed to disagree without resorting to being downright nasty to the other poster. Still, I have too many old time friends such as Dan, you, Jawz, Indy, Ken, a heck, quite a few more, to just up and leave. Not only that, but Philip, Ken, and many others came to my rescue when I was in dire straights and for that, I'll always be thankful.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

  12. #32
    Uninsured for your health
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    10,032
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Telling illegal immigrants to go back to their country isn't racist.
    You're right, it's not, but when every person either black or brown is accused of being an illegal, it's in the very least biggoted...I had a much longer more articulated post but had router issues and lost it all...
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

  13. #33
    Uninsured for your health
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    10,032
    Minir! When did you come back? I've always loved your joke threads, you are definately on the short of people I had wanted to meet from the forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

  14. #34
    Resident Atheist Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Orangevale ,Ca
    Posts
    18,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    i saw a thread about hooking up a home theater to a PC, but had no answers for Dan
    so I found what I was looking for,I am looking at this,
    I want 1080p & Pandora & Netflix & & USB in & HDMI out,

    I like this one,

    http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/.../?partner=4760

    Dell has it for $108 otd
    Last edited by Dan; 05-01-11 at 12:26 PM.

  15. #35
    SG Enthusiast cybotron r_9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    On the beach with 30 knots of breeze
    Posts
    4,268
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoKid View Post
    this site was founded by Pirate techies


  16. #36
    R.I.P. 2015-05-13 minir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    27,942
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoKid View Post
    Minir! When did you come back? I've always loved your joke threads, you are definately on the short of people I had wanted to meet from the forums
    ---

    blebs & CiscoKid

    I no longer post in the Gen Forum sticking mostly to the Music posts. When i read this thread i thought about it and decided to offer my opinion valid or not.

    There were several reasons for my no longer posting some of which i mention and others due to personal reasons which are more to do with my health than anything else.

    I too enjoyed and continue to enjoy my time here and the friends i have made hopefully remain so.

    Doubtful i will ever post here on a regular basis again but i do browse to try and keep up with whats new.

    ---

    Take care

    minir

  17. #37
    Magically Delicious! Meggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    9,885
    personally I miss the "discussions" about politics, religion, current events. But it seemed like people had such thin skins on everything, and when their views weren't excepted by everyone they would throw a tantrum and leave. Its a shame in one sense because it altered the variety of people that posted here, but in another sense its a shame because it shows how some are unable to act like adults. I miss the old SG too, but i think the only way to bring it back is to neglect from posting negative threads/comments and post some thought provoking stuff here in the gen forum, or useful tips or hell, picks of your dog. I could even go for a brent-esque random thread post these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by brembo
    "This is a stick-up...I have an armadillo in my pants"

  18. #38
    R.I.P. 2015-05-13 minir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    27,942
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Meggie View Post
    personally I miss the "discussions" about politics, religion, current events. But it seemed like people had such thin skins on everything, and when their views weren't excepted by everyone they would throw a tantrum and leave. Its a shame in one sense because it altered the variety of people that posted here, but in another sense its a shame because it shows how some are unable to act like adults. I miss the old SG too, but i think the only way to bring it back is to neglect from posting negative threads/comments and post some thought provoking stuff here in the gen forum, or useful tips or hell, picks of your dog. I could even go for a brent-esque random thread post these days.
    ---

    Hi Meggie

    My Grandmother told me when i was a young man that the quickest way to an argument was to bring up religion or politics and that i have found over the years to be true in most cases.

    People have strong beliefs on these 2 subjects and in most cases they are lifelong and they believe they are correct and all others wrong (In many cases this was taught by Clery or Parents from a young age). When push comes to shove it usually boils down to a deterioration in the conversation and harsh words being exchanged.

    In a forum such as this imho they are usually best avoided to retain peace amongst the group. Lord knows there are enough things to disagree on without ones personal beliefs being brought into play.

    I'm one who believes that if your choice of belief is not harmful to others then I'm happy that you have found that which brings you contentment & peace in your decision.

    It is one thing to discuss Ford vs Chevy but an altogether different issue when it is Protestant vs Catholic or Muslim, etc. When ones core belief is on the line via religion or politics the gloves always come off.

    Unfortunately personal feelings are involved and it usually carries over from their to other posts with sniping & caustic remarks being made on things totally unrelated, such is the nature of the beast.

    Again just my opinion on something i probably should not have gotten involved in and will now bow out of before anything further escalates.

    ---

    regards

    minir

  19. #39
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,935
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Telling illegal immigrants to go back to their country isn't racist.

    Ok, then go the hell back to Kashyyyk!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  20. #40
    A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    4,435
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JawZ View Post
    Ok, then go the hell back to Kashyyyk!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Destroyed.... by the Empire...
    _______________________________________________
    Vendor neutral certified in IT Project Management, IT Security, Cisco Networking, Cisco Security, Wide Area Networks, IPv6, IT Hardware, Unix, Linux, and Windows server administration

Similar Threads

  1. This place has to be the best place for haunted house
    By Ghosthunter in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-29-04, 02:07 PM
  2. Lost my dsl, wrecked my dads car and lost my job all in one week.
    By jeremyboycool in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-28-01, 04:14 PM
  3. uggh.... a happy place.. a happy place..
    By Immortal in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-06-01, 06:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •