Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: this place is lost,it's gone to ....

Blog Entries
    The bickering and fighting turned off many good members.

Some felt we were too slow on the trigger to clean house, others felt we were strongarming and policing the "interesting" people excessively <shrug>. I take full responsibility, as the buck stops with me (as many famous people have said ) for any part of it that was due to moderation/administration of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post

Some felt we were too slow on the trigger to clean house, others felt we were strongarming and policing the "interesting" people excessively <shrug>. I take full responsibility, as the buck stops with me (as many famous people have said ) for any part of it that was due to moderation/administration of the forums.
    This was a busy place and then facebook and other social media took off. Prior to that, near-real-time personal updates existed only in forums. And today, many use mobile devices for social sites. Also, people's interests change.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    This was a busy place and then facebook and other social media took off. Prior to that, near-real-time personal updates existed only in forums. And today, many use mobile devices for social sites. Also, people's interests change.
    Agreed

what is facebook?

No really I know friends that are into it. I just don't want to be part of it.

I personally love this site. Sure, members get pissy with each other from time to time, but that's what makes the conversation interesting. After all, we're just having a discussion and people's opinions will vary. Go to another site (Neowin for example) and post some of things that you have posted here- you'd be warned and banned in a second.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    yes that's true,but like I said,I regularly visit 2 other forums and the "general forum" and all of the sub forums are VERY busy at those other ones,so I guess "facebook and other social media" has not had the same effect at those forums as it has here.

I think a lot of interesting people are still here.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    I personally love this site. Sure, members get pissy with each other from time to time, but that's what makes the conversation interesting. After all, we're just having a discussion and people's opinions will vary. Go to another site (Neowin for example) and post some of things that you have posted here- you'd be warned and banned in a second.
    Aren't we supposed to be so Politically Correct we don't have opinions?

I mean geez...if you have an opinion, that means you disagree with others beliefs and OMG...that's bad. LOL
    Nutty like squirrel terds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post

Many people have no idea what it's like being the owner/administrator of a forum. All they see is what's on their screen. They have no clue what's going on behind the scenes. They have no idea of how incredibly much time and effort is put into running a site. I used to get so ticked off just opening email from the other forum and finding 50 or so bitching people, bitching over nothing. I'd then have to go see what exactly the problem was and deal with it. Headache of all headaches.

I think everyone needs to realize that while, at times, you may not agree with the owner(s)/Administrators decisions, you must respect them. Most people aren't being paid to put up with babysitting forums.

Just my take on the situation.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

With the evolution of social networking SG's adaptability in this environment of facebook, myspace, twitter and youtube became antiquated.

The ability to post a bunny with a pancake on its head used to require some technical skills along with some personal eccentricities. Now any dumb jock can do it.

social profiling may be a concern for many people also, some of the dumb things said and done over the years one tends to reconsider posting at all. How many stupid FMLs have been posted on Fbook costing people jobs, relationships and status in the communities.

I remember as a kid I used to have a pen pal from Finland... stamp envelope pen...wait 2-3 weeks for a reply there wasn't much /0% chance the government, boss or neighbor would see whats said. Now people post screenshots of text messages and in seconds privacy is lost.

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    With the evolution of social networking SG's adaptability in this environment of facebook, myspace, twitter and youtube became antiquated.

The ability to post a bunny with a pancake on its head used to require some technical skills along with some personal eccentricities. Now any dumb jock can do it.

social profiling may be a concern for many people also, some of the dumb things said and done over the years one tends to reconsider posting at all. How many stupid FMLs have been posted on Fbook costing people jobs, relationships and status in the communities.

I remember as a kid I used to have a pen pal from Finland... stamp envelope pen...wait 2-3 weeks for a reply there wasn't much /0% chance the government, boss or neighbor would see whats said. Now people post screenshots of text messages and in seconds privacy is lost.
    The CIA, FBI and DHS are all looking too!
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by SlyOneDoofy View Post
    Aren't we supposed to be so Politically Correct we don't have opinions?

I mean geez...if you have an opinion, that means you disagree with others beliefs and OMG...that's bad. LOL
    Not understanding your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post

I want to see a bunny with a pancake on her head,(providing she's a hottie)

but if not a hot human one then

I also come here very seldom anymore. Seems some people were here only to cause troubles. I have moved on for the most part to other forums but I did make some good friends here as well.
    Does anyone know anything about Norm?

very nice looking butcher block!
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    Not understanding your reply.
    It was sarcasm.

Nothing against you. Just noting how people get upset because everyone doesn't think the same way.
    Nutty like squirrel terds!!!

It was sarcasm.

Nothing against you. Just noting how people get upset because everyone doesn't think the same way.
    I'm offended that you don't think the same way as me.

Well I guess i'll end this thread by saying... We are all doomed. This place has gone to **** (oh, and we are all lost as well). Peace Out!!!

It was sarcasm.

How dare you clarify a statement sir!!!

I still check out the forum now & then. This site was the first one i joined and had the most fun, and activity. Learned alot about computers, scored some great deals in the buy/sell section. My biggest mistake as a member, besides being crazy, was trying to force my beliefs upon others. Some things , either you see it, or you don't. Still have alot of love for the site, and the people here. Still saddened by the passing of Miss Tynker2, (Missy).
    "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."

Bruce Lee