Thread: How they change the ADSL speed?

Question How they change the ADSL speed?

I would like to know how the technician at Phone Company changes the ADSL speed.

(Change of hardware, Router configuration, DSLAM configuration, Switch, Line frequency, Line rate, Magic, Voodoo, etc.)

From my point of view looks like they change 2 things, first the line rate so that the ADSL router shows something like this “Rate (Kbps): 6176 416” and then somewhere else they configure the line to really allow ~6Mb (6176) of download and ~400Kb (416) of upload speed.

I wish to know the details of how this change is made.

Thanks
    Last edited by kdesc; 04-22-11 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kdesc View Post
    I would like to know how the technician at Phone Company changes the ADSL speed.
    I also need to know.

Hi all. I'll try to explain it.
    You have to understand two things..
    1. Between your apartment and your provider you have some data transmission environment.
    it has some specifications. If we talk about ADSL or ADSL2 or ethernet or about something else, you can read about this technologies in wikipedia.
    But, most of specifications depend on quality of data transmission environment. This rule works for all kind of environment wire or wireless.
    The higher the speed the higher the demand for quality of data transmission environment.
    If you have any kind of environment quality degradation - you can reduce speed.
    For bad condition ADSL line looks like...
    high speed - line doesn't work or works with a lot of losses.
    low speed - line works, but slowly, but works )
    low speed and stable is much better than fast speed with losses.

2. Depend on kind and condition of his lines, provider offers to his customers different rates. When you've chosen on of rates, provider set up limit for your rate. And you get your access to internet.

More often, providers use maximum possible speed in data transmission environment. I
    If data transmission environment works with maximum possible values it means all equipment, wires, connectors have a good condition.
    They set up speed parameters once and do not touch until first troubles. If you want to change speed they do not reconfigure parameters of your ADSL line, they just make some change, technically speaking, on their server for your IP address.

Got it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    Hi all. I'll try to explain it.
    You have to understand two things..
    1. Between your apartment and your provider you have some data transmission environment.
    it has some specifications. If we talk about ADSL or ADSL2 or ethernet or about something else, you can read about this technologies in wikipedia.
    But, most of specifications depend on quality of data transmission environment. This rule works for all kind of environment wire or wireless.
    The higher the speed the higher the demand for quality of data transmission environment.
    If you have any kind of environment quality degradation - you can reduce speed.
    For bad condition ADSL line looks like...
    high speed - line doesn't work or works with a lot of losses.
    low speed - line works, but slowly, but works )
    low speed and stable is much better than fast speed with losses.

2. Depend on kind and condition of his lines, provider offers to his customers different rates. When you've chosen on of rates, provider set up limit for your rate. And you get your access to internet.

More often, providers use maximum possible speed in data transmission environment. I
    If data transmission environment works with maximum possible values it means all equipment, wires, connectors have a good condition.
    They set up speed parameters once and do not touch until first troubles. If you want to change speed they do not reconfigure parameters of your ADSL line, they just make some change, technically speaking, on their server for your IP address.

Got it?
    yes. Wikipedia is giving more detailed explanation

I think its very simple. everybody should know about it