Thread: Moved into a new home this week...

Blog Entries

Moved into a new home this week...

It's been an adventure getting everything set up to get this house, but we closed last week, and moved in over the weekend. Our house is about 2300 sq. feet, sitting on 5 acres of property south of Amarillo. I can't even begin to express how good it feels getting into a home after living in an apartment for the last 5 years.

This is a panorama from the north side of the house:

And a couple shots from the back property line looking towards the house:

The tractor sitting in the shot in the last two pictures is no longer there; the original owner moved it the morning of our closing. The red barn to the right of the house in the last two pictures is roughly 30x60...needs a little cleaning, but should make for a good place to put all of my wife's horse tack and hay for the horses, once we get them moved on to the property. I bought a used riding mower last week, and I've got about two acres of the lot mowed already...should have the rest mowed this weekend

I'll have more pictures up this weekend, when things slow down a little bit from the move...
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Looks awesome Indy
    Very nice looking property.

How're you fixed for water?

Careful walking around out there, it looks so hilly you might get turned around easy.

Blog Entries
    I've already lost myself twice among the hills around here

We're on well water, which is taking a little bit to get used to - never been on well water before, to my knowledge.
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

nice big property,very cool. I love it

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Awesome!
    Great feeling to get back to owning eh?

After our trip to Amish country in PA a few weekends ago, I really got into the wide open farm country regions.

When was the house built?

Prior home that I owned was well water, homes I grew up in were well water also. Your experience with it depends on the typical water table in your area. Where I grew up and owned, living near the shoreline, it was never a problem. Nice clean water with a slightly sweet taste to it...doesn't taste like "poolwater" like town water does. Little maintenance usually, often a..oh I forget the name of it.."foot valve" I think?..every 10 years or so replace. It's at the bottom of the pipe going down into your well, like a reverse flow check valve. And every 10 or 15 years...the jet pump itself which is often in your basement..if the well is close to your house.

I declare your first order of business...to fix the broken corner of the parking slab! That tree growing up in the hole in it between the garage doors...the root system is sure to cause problems with the slab..cracking around where the roots try to climb to the surface and push upwards.

Are those glass blocks along the middle of the side of the house there?

Awesome to have a big barn too!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Trust me, the tree will be coming out soon. Really don't understand why someone would put one there to begin with

The driveway, that's actually a secondary piece of concrete that was laid after the original driveway was put in. I may just remove it completely, don't know yet.

Right now, the back side of the house has a second living room, along with a basement that my daughter and her husband are using as a temporary living quarters until they get into a new place of their own. Once they move out, I move into the basement, aka mancave, and get to have all the fun associated with that

The house was built in the 1950's, but the addition to the backside that includes the basement wasn't built until the early 90s. A lot of updates to the house have given it a somewhat contemporary feel to it. The master bathroom is huge, with a garden tub and shower stall, as well as his/her closets. We had a few friends over the other night and we ended up hanging out in the bathroom for about an hour just because there's enough room to do so.

I went into the crawlspace yesterday to run some cat5 from the office out to the living room (wanted a hardline to the Xbox ), and it's pretty clean underneath. I'll probably be re-running phone line this weekend (since I still have a lot of stuff left over from when I worked for Comcast)...a lot of the phone outlets were painted over by the previous owner and I figure I'd just start with a clean slate of wiring for that.

One of the next purchases we'll have to look into is getting a 55" or bigger TV for the living room. The TV we have now is only about 45" and it's way too small for the room we have it in now.
    ------

Congrats.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    Congrats.
    Thanks

Just a quick shot from inside our barn...I took a break when this shot was taken:

------

Congrats...nice looking place.

Looks great, personally I'd hate takign care of all that land. Enjoy!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Looks great, personally I'd hate takign care of all that land. Enjoy!
    That's what the horses are for

Getting ready to go out and fire up the chainsaw...got a dead tree that's coming down today
    ------