Thread: Just saw a tornado!

Just saw a tornado!

Small but I saw it come out of the cloud and then suck back up quickly. It was from the direction of my parents house - my dad said a huge oak tree is down out that way with stuff all over the place. Looks like a near miss and very rare in this mountain area!

I got a little bit of video on my cell phone but it's hard to see the start of it..caught it dipping and going back up quick first few seconds.

Tree taken down..here are a few pics of it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM5003.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM5001.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	712   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM5004.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	713   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM5000.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	714  

Hope everyone is OK!

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Hope everyone is OK!
    Well reports of tree's down all over the area (20 square miles), power lines down in many places. It's very rare to see this kinda action in my area due to the mountains.

hope everyone is okay...the Atlanta area got hit too but it almost completely went around us...We got some rain but that was about it.

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Miss us in central SC.. we were lucky.. saw a huge thunderstorm though..
    The coast of SC and also NC have tornado's on the ground.. about 5 in SC and 4 in NC

Quote Originally Posted by loop2kil View Post
    hope everyone is okay...the Atlanta area got hit too but it almost completely went around us...We got some rain but that was about it.
    brother in law lives in Atlanta now, wife and son with her parents are heading down for a week to visit sites in another week or so...

As for the video I took.. well it's very short like 10seconds cause it was moving fast and I couldn't get my phone to set fast enough to get alot than what it did. I asked Jawz to see if he could clean up the quality and then I'll post it if it shows what my eyes saw.

Confirmed by Weather service the cell I watched form a partial twister causing minor damage ended up touching down and dragging along about 25miles north of me forming a EF-1 twister with 95MPH winds!!

My sister just called from central NC. Drove through Sanford NC about 5 minutes after a tornado came through and took out some buildings. Rerouted twice by police. People running down the side of the road, ancient trees snapped in half, no traffic lights. Several houses torn open.

Demolished the local Lowes.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=13392961
    Last edited by Humboldt; 04-17-11 at 12:23 AM.

I witnessed one when I was about 6 years old. Never ever do I want to be that close to another one again. If were put under a watch or warning, people think I'm crazy because I'm constantly scanning the sky and radar. The one I encountered never touched the ground, but I was holding onto a tree, and it was sucking me right up off the ground. Scared me to death.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    My sister just called from central NC. Drove through Sanford NC about 5 minutes after a tornado came through and took out some buildings. Rerouted twice by police. People running down the side of the road, ancient trees snapped in half, no traffic lights. Several houses torn open.

Demolished the local Lowes.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=13392961
    Wild stuff.. big system yesterday. The NWS is sending a team to this area to survey damage. I don't believe one fully touched down from the view I was looking but the winds were there.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...nt;cbsCarousel

All hell about to break loose again in a few hours... largest system so far this spring and it looks freaking huge!!!

The weather channel showed a tornado over 1.5miles wide hit in Alabama earlier and all that headin up this way!!

We in tornado warning,severe thunderstorm warning, all hell break loose warning and any other warning!

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    All hell about to break loose again in a few hours... largest system so far this spring and it looks freaking huge!!!

The weather channel showed a tornado over 1.5miles wide hit in Alabama earlier and all that headin up this way!!

We in tornado warning,severe thunderstorm warning, all hell break loose warning and any other warning!
    Stay safe man...we missed the first wave tonight...not sure what's gonna happen with the second one though.

Quote Originally Posted by loop2kil View Post
    Stay safe man...we missed the first wave tonight...not sure what's gonna happen with the second one though.
    my wife is in Atlanta this week... she said it be hitting there before up this way.

I'm about 40 miles east of Atlanta...looks like the second round is coming right through my neck of the woods...Tornado reported on the ground at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

very powerful here last night.. 3-4am so bumpy ride. CNN reports over 200 dead from this storm system. We haven't even gotten to May yet which see's more storms!!

Are you guys alright????

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Are you guys alright????
    why hell yeah.. needs more than a tornado to stop me

Advanced Member
    the best part is they are going to get much stronger, along with the hurricanes & eq's...i mean really how can anyone expect for everything not to get much more powerful with the North Atlantic Ocean Conveyor belt getting worse with the loop current pretty much coming to a halt which helps with regulations of the temps in water ultimately affecting the weather......these are some interesting times indeed. glad I chose to be here with all you guys, its going to blow our minds!!!