Thread: 2 Printers That Won't Work

2 Printers That Won't Work

I was using a Canon i455 printer for about the last 3 years when it began to act up lately, and today I started to get a message that said "print cartridge not installed" so I checked it and the color ink was loose, so I fixed that, but kept getting the same popup and it refused to print, so I think I'm going to send it to the dump, as much as I hate to. I got it cheap with a digital camera deal on eBay a few years ago.

Then I got out an older Dell 720 printer and tried to fire that up. I put new black ink in it and got it to clean the heads and print striped things as it cleaned., and I thought I was all set, but then it printed blank pages.

What should I do? Am thinking of getting a good used older printer but the i455 seems hard to find these days, and the Dell 720 isn't really too good.

Can anyone suggest a cheap older printer for doing just black text, that I can get cheap ink for? Not looking for a color or photo printer.

Thank you. I like the new look of this forum.

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    I was using a Canon i455 printer for about the last 3 years when it began to act up lately, and today I started to get a message that said "print cartridge not installed" so I checked it and the color ink was loose, so I fixed that, but kept getting the same popup and it refused to print, so I think I'm going to send it to the dump, as much as I hate to. I got it cheap with a digital camera deal on eBay a few years ago.

Then I got out an older Dell 720 printer and tried to fire that up. I put new black ink in it and got it to clean the heads and print striped things as it cleaned., and I thought I was all set, but then it printed blank pages.

What should I do? Am thinking of getting a good used older printer but the i455 seems hard to find these days, and the Dell 720 isn't really too good.

Can anyone suggest a cheap older printer for doing just black text, that I can get cheap ink for? Not looking for a color or photo printer.

Thank you. I like the new look of this forum.
    I would stay with Canon, I had a old.. very old Canon 810 BJC, I gave that to my Dad, and then bought a Canon S520 back in the late 90's, the S520 is still going great and supported in Windows 7, and Ubuntu Linux. I think the Canon 810 BJC is still working as well, he gave it to my nephew.

Look at this one $40.00 and free shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16828102471

I would stay away from Lexmark. HP is ok, but they tend to jam..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16828102471

That does look like a nice printer. Was also looking at Canon all in ones but I'd hate to get something that costs a lot for ink. I actually don't need an AIO.

I hope to get that older Dell 720 working tomorrow, at least long enough to finish any ink that may not have dried up yet. I'm going to have to go to the library to print some documents, then maybe will go for that new $40 Canon.

I was using a Canon i455 printer for about the last 3 years when it began to act up lately, and today I started to get a message that said "print cartridge not installed" so I checked it and the color ink was loose, so I fixed that, but kept getting the same popup and it refused to print,
    After reseating the cartriges:

1. cancel all existing print jobs. (may have to reboot to clear the last 1 or 2 jobs)
    2. run the printer diagnostic utility or print head utility and align/adjust the print heads.
    3. try printing now.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

A couple of thoughts;
    Ink dries out, not just pertaining to the ink in cartridges, but the tiny holes in the printer that the ink comes out to be applied to the paper, if you follow... Rubbing the contact areas with some ammonia on a Q-tip or similar may loosen it. You may also want to try gently rubbing your finger across the contact areas to smooth them out...

As far as a new printer goes, you may find better results in pricing the cartridges first keeping in mind that the smaller the cartridge, the more often it will need to be replaced. In the long run, the ink is what costs. Printers are relatively cheap as they know they have you on the ink...

Thanks Ken. I'll try that. The Dell got a new ink cartridge and I took the tape off of it, and it printed alignment page but won't print anything else. I really liked the Canon a lot better than the Dell printer. I guess I'll tinker with it some more.

10-4 on the pricing ink before buying the printer. Was looking at an HP in Walmart today for $60, and a pair of ink tanks for it are $31. I'd like to get something I can use pre-refilled cartridges with.

Update :

I got the Canon i455 going again and printed the 2 shipping labels I needed to print. Seems fine now.

Thanks for all of your replies.