Thread: New Build Opinions

New Build Opinions

Wanted some input here on a new build for my brother-in-law. I wanted to keep the price in the $1,200-1,500 range and definitely wanted to go Intel iCore 7 and hardware ASUS. He's not a gamer but a BIG multi-tasker, all parts are from NewEgg since he lives in Florida, he will order the parts and I will build it next month on my vacation down there. I want something that will last a while without falling behind in speed/technology. Here is what I have picked out, please add any suggestions for any better components that are comparable in price/performance.

Case - COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP

Hard Drives - RAID 0 - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s X2

Video Card - ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready

PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power

RAM - Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT51264BA1339

Motherboard - ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel

CPU - Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601960

Optical Drive - LITE-ON Blu-ray Burner with 3D Playback SATA iHBS212 LightScribe

Wish this was MY new build LOL.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Nice...
    Only thing I'd do is un stripe the drives. Pair of drives, set the storage and pagefile on the 2nd one.
    I'm into downsizing too...with just 1 optical drive...smaller case?
    WD Black drives rock!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks YOSC, he want's a RAID 0 because he had a drive fail last year and lost everything, so he wants to make sure that doesn't happen again and no down time if one fails.

This is the monitor he is buying DELL UltraSharp U2711...... I'm jealous.

i would look into a sandy bridge combo to be a bit more current.

Quote Originally Posted by mnosteele52 View Post

This is the monitor he is buying DELL UltraSharp U2711...... I'm jealous.

For someone that multitasks myself I'm running Dual Dell Ultra 24's now and I tell ya I couldn't be more happy with the extra app space. I'd also push him up to more Ram 16gigs would be useful with 64bit OS but you didn't list the OS he's purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    i would look into a sandy bridge combo to be a bit more current.
    I would too but they are having a bit of issues with them and last I heard a big recall

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    For someone that multitasks myself I'm running Dual Dell Ultra 24's now and I tell ya I couldn't be more happy with the extra app space. I'd also push him up to more Ram 16gigs would be useful with 64bit OS but you didn't list the OS he's purchasing.
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64. I don't know if 16gb will matter that much, I'm a pretty heavy multitasker myself and have 8gb and never come close to using it all.

Raid 0 is striping...Raid 1 is for redundancy btw.

Build looks very nice...but since he doesn't game is the GTX460 a waste? Could put that money into a nice SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by loop2kil View Post
    Raid 0 is striping...Raid 1 is for redundancy btw.

Build looks very nice...but since he doesn't game is the GTX460 a waste? Could put that money into a nice SSD.
    Your right LOL, don't know what I was thinking. He's going to run a 27" monitor so a good video card is a must.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    RAID 1...there ya go! "Mirroring"....not "striping".

What is his use? You say he's not a gamer but a heavy multi-tasker? Any specifics? Does he do video editing? CAD/Design stuff?
    I recently build a similar spec rig for a friend's daughter that does heavy video editing/Adobe stuff...did 16 gigs of RAM for her..that rig moves about at the blink of an eye. Went with a similar spec ATI card. If he's just using MS office apps 'n web stuff...8 gigs is more than fine. You can always easily add more RAM down the line if he moves into something heavier for apps.

If you're looking at trimming the budget a bit..you can feel safe stepping down a few notches with the video card. If he's not gaming....even with monster monitors the basic 99 - 119 dollar vid cards with 512 megs of RAM are more than powerful enough to pump out those resolutions and color depths...even playing DVDs 'n stuff. Just make sure it's DVI and not old VGA.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

i just wanted to add that some video encoders now days use video cards to help sometimes, if he is doing anything like that.

check what software he runs