Thread: AT&T buys T-mobile

AT&T buys T-mobile

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/20/a...tsche-telekom/

Wowzers! AT&T and Deutsche Telekom have entered into a definitive agreement for the sale of T-Mobile USA for $39 billion in cash and stocks. The combined customer base of this upcoming behemoth will be 130 million humans, though the agreed deal will have to pass the usual regulatory and closing hurdles before becoming complete. The two companies estimate it'll take them 12 months to get through all the bureaucracy -- if they get through, the proposed network merger will create a de facto GSM monopoly within the United States -- but we don't have to wait that long to start discussing life with only three major US carriers. AT&T envisions it as a rosy garden of "straightforward synergies" thanks to a set of "complementary network technologies, spectrum positions and operations."

I'm hoping this pushes wireless phone package prices down for competitors!

Blog Entries
    I don't see how decreasing competition would bring any prices down.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Ditto, Ive been a Happy Tmobile Customer for 15 years, I'm NOT looking forward to this AT ALL.

I already pay out the ass for at&t now !

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    I see it as a increase in comp between say this new company and Verizon for example. If this new comp whatever they will call themselves pushes more coverage and so on then Verizon will have no choice but to drop prices and increase coverage along with better service. I guess you can go both ways with this slightly depending on factors from this merger.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    Ditto, Ive been a Happy Tmobile Customer for 15 years, I'm NOT looking forward to this AT ALL.
    NOt good, I was with Alltel when Verizon bought them, fvck Verizon and the horse they rode in on.....

Wow, makes the Comcast/NBC merger look like peanuts - 39BIL in cash & stock!
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Makes Sprint/Nextell the target for Verizon. I am getting out of AT&T&T/Mobile. Not sure what to do, but I am thinking DROID

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Makes Sprint/Nextell the target for Verizon. I am getting out of AT&T&T/Mobile. Not sure what to do, but I am thinking DROID

att has droids

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I remember "Ma-Bell"....and why they were broken up. Seems like Ma-Bell is returning.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    I see it as a increase in comp between say this new company and Verizon for example. If this new comp whatever they will call themselves pushes more coverage and so on then Verizon will have no choice but to drop prices and increase coverage along with better service. I guess you can go both ways with this slightly depending on factors from this merger.
    Its one less competitor in the market, its a bad sign for prices.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    perhaps.. I've seen it go either way in some instances when you have more capital to pump into your hardware or infrastructure which will reach more customers which can allow you to drop prices while offering the same if not better service.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Exactly, I see it as an inevitable increase in My Bill, especially since I have a smart phone with NO data package, I don't use data I use wireless everywhere, AT&T won't let you have a smart phone with NO data, neither will Verizon....so I guess I switch to Sprint or someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by horsemen_ View Post
    att has droids
    Yes, but I am sick of AT&T. I may do verizon, but I have till Aug. to decide.

Yes, but I am sick of AT&T. I may do verizon, but I have till Aug. to decide.

IMHO I would go with sprint, They seem to have the best droids out, Plus the new EVO View is just plain Sick! plus $69.99 (+$10 for 4g) completely and utterly unlimited everything. Depending on coverage in your area, You can beat it. If work didnt pay for my iP4 I would still be on sprint with my evo

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    IMHO I would go with sprint, They seem to have the best droids out, Plus the new EVO View is just plain Sick! plus $69.99 (+$10 for 4g) completely and utterly unlimited everything. Depending on coverage in your area, You can beat it. If work didnt pay for my iP4 I would still be on sprint with my evo
    I have no 4g coverage up here. 3g is it for this backwoods state.

I have no 4g coverage up here. 3g is it for this backwoods state.
    It's very unlikely there is 4G speeds per coverage anywhere just yet. They are hyping it but aren't producing the speeds yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    It's very unlikely there is 4G speeds per coverage anywhere just yet. They are hyping it but aren't producing the speeds yet.
    I dont think it is even an official standard yet. From what I understand there are flavors of it. Can you say betamax?

http://www.bnet.com/blog/marketing-s...tionContent.10

How will the ATT acquisition of T-Mobile benefit customers?

Unlike the predictions of the naysayers, the ATT acquisition of T-Mobile has the opportunity to help customers for the following reasons.

Better coverage. The complementary spectrum positions and operations of the two networks will give better coverage to the combined customer base.
    Clearer choice and less confusion. Since both networks are GSM, the combined network will give customers a clearer brand choice - differentiating it from CDMA networks used by Verizon and Sprint (also rumored to be flirting with merger talks).
    Wider iPhone and iPad distribution. T-Mobile will inherit the right to sell the iPhone and other Apple wireless products.
    Better service. AT&T can learn from T-Mobile’s reputation for better customer service.