Thread: Basic configuration for a Netgear Prosafe GS724T-300NAS swtich

Basic configuration for a Netgear Prosafe GS724T-300NAS swtich

Hello!

I'm going to be purchasing a Netgear Prosafe GS724T-300NAS which is on sale. Now, I'm noticing that this switch seems to have quite a few features ... but browsing through the 275 page manual I don't think I will need any of them. What I'm wondering is this - is this switch plug and play? So, lets say I follow the installation guide of connecting a cat5 cable to the router, and then powering on the switch. It obtains a DHCP address, I login to the switch, configure it to a static IP and I can then start plugging in other computers and it will work? Or is there more I need to configure ... VLANS?? This is a very basic setup ... Modem->Linksys Router->Switch->Multiple computers / devices.

Thanks!!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Basically if you're not going to use any managed features....you will never have to log into its web management...you can treat it like a basic unmanaged switch, so yes..."plug and play".
    Many managed switches come with a default LAN IP address...it's good to know what that is, so it won't conflict with anything on your LAN, or in case you need to get to the web management, it's good to change it to match the IP range of your LAN so you can log into it later. You mention this switch picks one up DHCP..so that makes it easy for you.

VLANs...they are used on larger networks to isolate sections.....for performance, and/or for security features. Creating multiple VLANs...traffic from one will stay in that VLAN, cannot access the other, and visa versa.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks YOSC! That's great news! One random question though ... I'm looking for a enclosure to put the switch, router, and all the cables. Its not going to be rackmounted or anything, but I just need something to keep everything all organized. The problem is I have absolutley no idea what what im looking for is called and where i could possibly buy something like that.

Thanks
    Matt

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    If you don't want to go with a 12U cabinet or open rack...that's wall mounted....what I generally do for smaller setups is have a plywood board up on the wall. Since many offices already have this for their phone system in the building, that's a great starting place. The rack mount "ears" for most switches can be turned 90 degrees so you can mount the switch flat against the wall. Have the ports facing sideways or down...not up..else junk falls inside the ports and can ruin the switch. Most routers have the screw holes in them to mount of screws on the wall..if not, can get some strong 3com double sided tape. And for network cables..just get a self mounting patch panel (I like Panduit or Gruber brands)
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!