Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opening a Facebook account

Question Opening a Facebook account

The wife wants to open a Facebook account and I've never really dealt with Facebook before. Can anyone enlighten me as to what security measures to take and what account settings are vital? She will be using it in a private mode but I don't know how much that helps. I do remember somewhere that you could download a file that would auto-set the security settings.

Thanks,

Don't do it... resist the urge to buy into the hype that it's a must have.

But really..don't download no 3rd party app to do settings for you..If your really going to do it just take the time and read each setting to select so you understand what your checking.

I will definately be opening it for her. Actually I think I asked this before and we never go around to opening it. Personally I'm against it but her daughter and son both use it so now she's got the bug.

I still think it's one huge security risk. Oh yeah, others will disagree. Think about it though, if every person opened an account, Facebook gets all your information (Even if you close your account, they keep that information) so I think it's sort of convenient for special interests, say like the government for one, to really know as much about you as possible. I'm not even going to mention the viruses my sons picked up on there.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by blebs View Post
    I still think it's one huge security risk. Oh yeah, others will disagree. Think about it though, if every person opened an account, Facebook gets all your information (Even if you close your account, they keep that information) so I think it's sort of convenient for special interests, say like the government for one, to really know as much about you as possible. I'm not even going to mention the viruses my sons picked up on there.
    You only share what you want the whole world to be able to read about. You are NOT required to fill in every blank. Overall FB is a bit lame but the one great thing that I have found is that It's a great way to reconnect with old friends from your school days.

As Sava mentioned never install a 3rd party FB App as it is usually causes problems.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Shut down notifications/invites to games..they're annoying. Stay clear of those, surveys, etc...and you're fine. Just...post..stick to posting, and you're safe.
    Run this app
    http://www.untangle.com/Products/SaveFace
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by loop2kil View Post
    but the one great thing that I have found is that It's a great way to reconnect with old friends from your school days.

ya know I've had so many friends I talk to now say that they use it for that too but ya know what.. if I have long time friends that want to contact me that bad they can do it the old fashioned way...the ways done before the internet existed since I refuse to get a lamebook account.

Quote Originally Posted by loop2kil View Post
    Overall FB is a bit lame but the one great thing that I have found is that It's a great way to reconnect with old friends from your school days.
    Yeah that's what I like about it....friends that moved away, you can connect with them again, see updates pics, pics of their family, kids, etc.
    People from prior jobs.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    My 2 cents:

1) use another email account (like Gmail) to sign up, this also helps with the notifications that you get..
    2) do not put any personal info like phones numbers, addresses ect.
    3) The games are fun, however they use 3rd party ad servers that sometimes try to install "FakeAV" scare-ware / other.
    4) After signing up, I would go straight to the "privacy settings" and make it so your Wife is not unsearchable. Your Wife can add people who she wants to add after searching for them.
    5) Like YOSC said, I would not do the surveys, also there are a lot of worms that try to contact you as a "Friend" that is something to look out for.

I keep a close very small list of friends that I talk to on there. I even found my 3rd and 4th cousins living in another country on facebook... which is awesome seeing how my family blood line is "very thin" so.. the site can be pretty awesome, just keep your guard up. :-)

1 in 5 divorces site facebook.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Thanks everyone! The little woman and I are having an indepth training session regarding what she is not supposed to do. We're using her gmail account and she knows not to click on anything other than friends information. NO 3rd pty crap, period.

I'm not crazy about her using it but she's been bugging me for almost a year. Her kids are pushing her to join. Oh well, I guess you pick your fights and this is one I'm letting go.

I had an account and got outta dodge pretty quickly. That's how I found out about them keeping your information forever.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blebs View Post
    I don't think that's much different than others like Gmail. It all boils down to whether you trust that company (and any of their affiliates that you allow) with some personal information.

As a matter of fact, everything you share online, and your browsing habits are also mined and rehashed by companies to serve you relevant ads, etc. As long as you're aware of it and choose what to share, you should be relatively safe.

I'm not really too concerned with exposing what I would consider harmless information that could be obtained through virtually any cross referenced phone or address check. My biggest personal problem is that my wife still does not seem to understand the potential harm that can come by clicking on something that someone is telling her to click on. She's constantly sending those stupid eCards and loading new themes and backgrounds on a weekly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    1 in 5 divorces site facebook.
    Yep..known fact so far. Don't forget it also causes more harm to relationships whether or not it's boyfriend or girlfriend but also towards your regular friends by sharing more information than you normally would expose just being out and about. The site gives you too many tools to screw up your life and they are making billions from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Yep..known fact so far. Don't forget it also causes more harm to relationships whether or not it's boyfriend or girlfriend but also towards your regular friends by sharing more information than you normally would expose just being out and about. The site gives you too many tools to screw up your life and they are making billions from it.
    It doesn't cause any harm to relationships. After all Facebook can't make a person post something about themselves that they don't want shared. The problem is with the person who posts private information in a public place.

Blog Entries
    Old friends are comforting in the nostalgic mind. Sadly, the reconnect teaches that the comraderie was based on a time and location that are no more. These "zombie" friendship are often best left buried.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Viruses/worms from Facebook....the site itself is clean, to the best of my knowledge it has not been compromised, thus if you visit Facebooks site...it will not infect your computer. However....if you follow ads, or games, or links to watch videos....away from Facebook and onto other web servers...logically it's not facebooks web server(s) that infected you. You followed a phish link...end user error. This same logic applies to any website.

I do see a lot of correlation between cleaning peoples computers...and people that hang out on Facebook all day long. But...those users go play 3rd party games and apps that are linked to Facebook.....the persons computer did not get infected directly from Facebook.

I've disabled invites/notifications of games....I've disabled the sending of an e-mail every time someone posts on my page or messages me. And I've locked down my account to the degree that I want.

Facebook is very tolerable in this fashion...my inbox is not noisy, my page is clean....not a barrage of game status stuff, it's quite usable and non-intrusive. Makes it enjoyable. And safe.

"True" to Davids mention of past friends.....yes many of them became friends of the "past" due to whatever reason. Generally "good" friends..you stay in touch with. But I will add..one can become separated from quite a few people due to other circumstances, and it's a vehicle that allows you and them to become somewhat part of each others lives again...to the limited degree that this digital medium allows. One might say..it's better than nothing..and it was good as a tool to "catch up" and remain in contact to the degree that it allows.

Many marketing companies are pushing it as a means of getting business. And my wife is proof of that. She is still local to the area she grew up in, and went to school. Through her network of re-uniting with high school friends, she also markets her real estate. Old friends/acquaintances that found out she is in real estate, from her FB page, have given her business. She has had closed real estate transactions due to facebook...and in thinking about how she got that client, I can't think of what else would have brought those clients to her.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Please. Just don't do it. That site is a haven for crap.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    Please. Just don't do it. That site is a haven for crap.
    This +1