Thread: Lag spikes while playing games

3v1l807

Red face Lag spikes while playing games

Please help me! I just recently got a cable modem installed, and it works great. Downloading works fine, and I even set-up an FTP server to test how good the upstream is with multiple users, that also works fine. However when I connect to play any game ie: Tribes, Counter Strike, Quake 3, etc every 5 or 10 seconds I get a huge lag spike, my ping is usually around 50 and then shoots to like 1000 every 5-10 seconds. I have no idea what's going on. I have tried adjusting the rate and all the other in game stuff, but it makes no difference. And I have tried playing during off peak hours like 2-3am, the results are still the same. Anyone got some suggestions?

[This message has been edited by 3v1l807 (edited 09-30-2000).]

3v1l807

Pentium 3 866
    256 MB Ram
    Voodoo 3 3000
    Diamond MX 300

When I played on my old 33.6 modem my ping was 250ish, but it was smooth playing, no spikes it was great...

3v1l807

OK I plugged the modem directly into my computer instead of through the router which I normally use because I have 3 computers. The change is amazing, gameplay is smooth as silk no spikes no nothing and my average ping is below 50. OK so now I need to figure out if there is something I can do about my router, I have a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router with 4 port switch. Anyone have any suggestions on how to tune/tweak it?

ssjDoh

Well, just make sure no body is d/l or something on the other 3 computers while you play

Otherwise, I don't know any tweaks with the Router. I have the router (with 3 computers on it) and my gameplay is still smooth.

3v1l807

Yeah the other 3 computers are usually off when I played.

3v1l807

BTW What kind of router do you have? The same one I do?
    Do you have any special setting on it or anything? Any help is appreciated...

ssjDoh

List your computer specs plz.

SurfinBoy

Unhappy

Hey,

I'm having a different problem (very choppy play in Starcraft on Battlenet), but I do have Linksys hardware. I've been told that Intel or 3com hardware can make a difference. Are you using a Linksys ethernet card?

Colin

ssjDoh

I have the Linksys 4-port router. I'm also using an Intel NIC

3v1l807

Yes I am using a linksys ethernet card, but like I said when I plug in the modem directly into the card everything is fine...

majikmixx

Smile

Have you tried updating to the newest firmware for the linksys? I did, and it made a big improvement, not only in my gameplay, but in regular browsing as well.
    Good Luck!

aKgLiQuiD

Lightbulb

actually the new firmware works fine fixed alot of problems for me and online gaming...cs of course

3v1l807

Actually the latest firmware is supposed to be loaded with bugs