Thread: Online light off, take Y splitter out of chain, online light on, put Y splitter back

Online light off, take Y splitter out of chain, online light on, put Y splitter back

Recently on the modem, the "online light" randomly goes off. I've been playing around with it and figured out how to get it to come back on.

Theres a Y splitter that splits the line to send one to the modem, one to the TV. (this is the standard configuration for our basement)

If I take the Y splitter out, and hook the modem up directly to the single line, the online light comes back on and internet works fine. (no TV of course). Then I immediately put the Y splitter back in (standard configuration), and the online light comes back on.

I usually have to do this once every 2 days.

Could this be some signal strength problem? Like maybe the signal on the modem side of the Y splitter degrades until the modem doesnt recognize it? But then when I hook the modem up to the line before the Y splitter, it like jump-starts it and continues to work when I put the Y splitter back in?

Doesn't really make much sense.

Anybody have any ideas?

This is exactly what's happening with my cable, now that I added basic TV back and they gave me a splitter. I'm going to try this solution. I realize this conversation is five years old, but hoping it still works. I can live with doing this...I can't live with C^%$ coming out and charging me for repairs, even ones that are their fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Endorush View Post
    Recently on the modem, the "online light" randomly goes off. I've been playing around with it and figured out how to get it to come back on.

Theres a Y splitter that splits the line to send one to the modem, one to the TV. (this is the standard configuration for our basement)

If I take the Y splitter out, and hook the modem up directly to the single line, the online light comes back on and internet works fine. (no TV of course). Then I immediately put the Y splitter back in (standard configuration), and the online light comes back on.

I usually have to do this once every 2 days.

Could this be some signal strength problem? Like maybe the signal on the modem side of the Y splitter degrades until the modem doesnt recognize it? But then when I hook the modem up to the line before the Y splitter, it like jump-starts it and continues to work when I put the Y splitter back in?

Doesn't really make much sense.

Anybody have any ideas?

Well, who knew! It worked. But with a catch. Ten years ago I bought my own modem, which had an outlet built in to plug the cable TV line right into an outlet on the modem itself. Comcast came out and simply put a blocker of some sort on the splitter next to the wall, so that just one line ran to the modem.

Now that I have Comcast's new modem, I had totally forgotten this old splitter was on the line and I added another one higher up. This apparently was weakening my signal, having two splitters on the line when I only needed one. I took off the blocker on the splitter near the wall and ran the cable TV line right into that, and the other line from that splitter goes directly to the modem. No more problems with my "online" light going off and a weak TV signal!

Quote Originally Posted by muter0 View Post
    This is exactly what's happening with my cable, now that I added basic TV back and they gave me a splitter. I'm going to try this solution. I realize this conversation is five years old, but hoping it still works. I can live with doing this...I can't live with C^%$ coming out and charging me for repairs, even ones that are their fault.

Blog Entries
    You should check out the actual signal levels on your cable modem. Most modems have a diagnostics page, for Motorolla/Arris/Cisco it is at: http://192.168.100.1 . Look at the following to determine whether it is within the limits: http://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-c...idered-good-78

If your downstream power is lower than -8db, let's say, you can improve your connection by removing the splitter. You can actually purchase a tap instead of a splitter, and have the signal loss on the TV side, while getting the clean signal to your modem, if that is the case: http://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-i...tter-and-a-425

I hope this helps.