Thread: How to play HalfLife over LAN?

Detroit, Michigan Internet: Comcast Narrowband

Post How to play HalfLife over LAN?

My cousin is coming over and I want to play a LAN game with him. How do I do this? Both comps have nics, and into the HUB.
    Cablemodem in UPLINK, 2 computers in ports 1 and 2. The button is set to UPLINK. How do I play over lan now? Set button to "normal" and add +sv_lan 1 to commandline?

Thanks.
    Work: DQ
    Comp: AXP 1600+, MSI K7T266a Pro2 RU, 512MB PC2100, GF3 Ti200 128MB

Shepster

Lightbulb

All you need to play Half-Life over a LAN is to be using TCP/IP as your protocol and be set to the same subnet. You start Half-Life and go into Multiplayer > Local Network and either host or join the game. Haven't had any luck having multiple players on a LAN with internet access being able to join an internet game, I don't think their servers will allow multiple connections from a single access point's IP.

Detroit, Michigan Internet: Comcast Narrowband

I see them, but it gives me a "LAN games restrict users to Class C only" error when I try to join.
    Work: DQ
    Comp: AXP 1600+, MSI K7T266a Pro2 RU, 512MB PC2100, GF3 Ti200 128MB

Advanced Member

You probably need to change your computer's internal IPs to a class C subnet: 255.255.255.0. Example: 192.168.0.x

Y'know I read somewhere that HalfLife only allows you to join an online game from multiple computers in LAN if all computers have different HalfLife CDkey numbers.

When you start the game in LAN Game create, do you see it pop up in the other machine's LAN game list? That's my first sign that it has worked for me. I have also found it easier to use simpler maps. For whatever reason, I can't setup a LAN game with Cornfield map, but I can use Badlands. I hope some of this is helpful.

FingerDemon