Thread: Gigabit LAN only 200Mbit/s -using only 1 out of 4 cpu threads? details inside

Gigabit LAN only 200Mbit/s -using only 1 out of 4 cpu threads? details inside

Hi all,

On a gigabit LAN I am only getting around 200 - 250 mbps (~30MB/s) when transferring files between 2 computers.
    My setup is:
    CAT5e cables - longest 10m
    Switch Linksys SD2008 - in tests got 980 mbps/s throughput
    Code:
    http://soltesz.net/sd2008/part3.html
    1.PC - CPU C2D E8400, MB gigabyte ep45-ds3l with realtek 8111b integrated PCIe NIC, 4gb ram, Windows 7 professional 64bit, Eset smart security, chimney offload enabled, auto-tuning normal, MTU 1500
    2.PC - CPU Atom D525 (2cores, 4 threads, 1.8Ghz), integrated realtek 8111b PCIe NIC, 2gb ram, Windows 7 professional 32bit, comodo firewall, avira antivir, chimney offload enabled, auto-tuning normal, MTU 1500

The hard drives can manage around 60MB/s, but on the network I am getting only 30MB/s when transferring files between windows shares. Iperf gives similar results.
    When looking at the Atom computer, resource monitor shows one (1 out of 4) thread utilized to 100% and the other 3 threads are at few %. Therefore I am thinking that this is causing the slow speed.
    Can anyone point me to reason why would Windows 7 use only one thread when processing network traffic (SMB)? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Please let me know if more info is need.
    Thank you
    Laserjet,

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laserjet View Post
    Hi all,

On a gigabit LAN I am only getting around 200 - 250 mbps (~30MB/s) when transferring files between 2 computers.
    My setup is:
    CAT5e cables - longest 10m
    Switch Linksys SD2008 - in tests got 980 mbps/s throughput
    Code:
    http://soltesz.net/sd2008/part3.html
    1.PC - CPU C2D E8400, MB gigabyte ep45-ds3l with realtek 8111b integrated PCIe NIC, 4gb ram, Windows 7 professional 64bit, Eset smart security, chimney offload enabled, auto-tuning normal, MTU 1500
    2.PC - CPU Atom D525 (2cores, 4 threads, 1.8Ghz), integrated realtek 8111b PCIe NIC, 2gb ram, Windows 7 professional 32bit, comodo firewall, avira antivir, chimney offload enabled, auto-tuning normal, MTU 1500

The hard drives can manage around 60MB/s, but on the network I am getting only 30MB/s when transferring files between windows shares. Iperf gives similar results.
    When looking at the Atom computer, resource monitor shows one (1 out of 4) thread utilized to 100% and the other 3 threads are at few %. Therefore I am thinking that this is causing the slow speed.
    Can anyone point me to reason why would Windows 7 use only one thread when processing network traffic (SMB)? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Please let me know if more info is need.
    Thank you
    Laserjet,
    Do your NIC cards and your router switch support Jumbo Frames? That's the first thing I thought of... now that I see you link, it does not seem that your switch supports jumbo frames:
    Update: since I put this page up, I got confirmation from Linksys insiders that the SD2008-v1 does not support jumbo frames.

It does not support Jumbo frames, but that should not matter that much. I think the switch is fine, there is either something wrong with my windows config, or it could be the cables. I will try a cat7 today and see.
    Thanks

OK, I think its the cables, or parts. I have asked my colleagues and for gigabit net there are 2 considerations for the cabling - not only a cat5e cables, but the cabling done according to the cat5e specification - meaning no sharp angles, no pulling of the cable - it screws the twisting of the pairs, not running closer than 30 cm to power cabling, etc. I, of course, have not followed the specifications. But I did replace my patch cable from the wall plug and I am seeing now 500mbit (around 55MB) throughput. Since I am not running raid and don't have high performance disks, this is performance I expect when reading from the inner parts of the disk.

Regards,
    Laserjet