Thread: Stolen laptop, thief installed

Stolen laptop, thief installed

Thief installed Windows 7 ultimate with a password. There is a password reset wizard but I need to have created a password reset disc. Is there any free way for me to open my computer?

Thief named himself/herself Chopcity, the hint is My Angel.

I had made out a police report and the police found it in a pawn shop (lucky for me I had the box my puter came in so I had my serial numbers) Maybe not so lucky because I had bought a new laptop and I can't get into my stolen one so I can't even use it as a second one, at least not without paying someone to open it. Oh, I had Vista installed and I have gone into the Bios and didn't find a password.

This computer is a Toshiba Satellite.
    Last edited by cindy1948; 01-21-11 at 02:00 PM.

There are ways to crack Win7's password but I'm not going into it without some sort of proof it isn't someone else's computer your just trying to get into ya never know these days. If your really wanting to get your data off the laptop and get into the system to reclaim it then just get a local comp shop or techy to slave the hard drive from it, pull the data off. Then slap the drive back in and format it to reload whatever OS you have a key for to that computer.

Bottom line is your going to have to pay someone to get into it and do these things I suggested because I only crack passwords for people that show me a receipt when I get them brought to me.

The data is not that important anymore. Its been 2 years, what would be nice if I could just use my old laptop, like having it downstairs and one upstairs. I don't have the money to just waste, as I said, I bought a new one but I'm still paying on it.

I wish the police could have done something.

If you don't want any of the data off of it then format the drive and reinstall windows. I'd do it anyway just to be sure there isn't any hidden nasties on the drive.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What Sava700 said is correct.. if the police did not have any evidence / proof as to who stole your laptop, and if you want to spend some money, You could hire a IT Security Professional that could break into the laptop and also check on and recover any of the data that is on the hard drive, while maintaining the "chain of custody" and integrity of the data. That's the important part.

There may be evidence on the laptop's hard drive that could be used to find out and to prosecute the person who stole your laptop, but there are certain steps that an IT Security Professional does to capture the data in a certain way, so that the evidence upholds in court.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy1948 View Post
    The data is not that important anymore. Its been 2 years, what would be nice if I could just use my old laptop, like having it downstairs and one upstairs. I don't have the money to just waste, as I said, I bought a new one but I'm still paying on it.

I wish the police could have done something.
    Well the police are not going to work on your computer for you - and even a techy kid these days can prob restore your comp with your Vista install it came with providing the product key sticker is still on the laptop. I'd just format the sucker and not even look back which won't cost you much at all.

Police are the ones that found the laptop and returned it to me. It was found in a pawn shop and the person who stole it was out on probation, working with a contractor who was doing work in my house. The guy is in custody but I'm out in the cold.

I have the key on the bottom of the laptop. I can't find any of my other stuff. I probably threw it out thinking it was a lost cause.

There appears to be another problem, I can't get the arrows to work when I'm in bios so I can't even change the order of booting. I tried using another usb keyboard but I still couldn't use the arrow keys.

I guess this is a lost cause unless I want to spend more, but thank you guys I appreciate the attention and insight you have given me.

PS At almost 70 yrs old, I don't know any techie kids.
    Last edited by cindy1948; 02-09-11 at 07:05 PM. Reason: add something

Quote Originally Posted by cindy1948 View Post

PS At almost 70 yrs old, I don't know any techie kids.
    I'm sure you know someone that does, ask around.