Thread: Mac speed`

Mac speed`

So I made the jump from PC to mac, and of course the first thing I did was to see if it needed tweaked on the net. HOLY CRAP.... is this thing fast on the net,

Why would a mac out of the box be so fast on the net before tweaking vs a pc that is tweaked out??
    this equipment list isnt current please ignore MSI kt7 133amobo,AMD Athalon 1Ghz g3Ti200 Pro td 128, 1gig pc133, 2 40gig hd, wireless network,dlink,HP Photsmart 7150,Kodak easyshare ls433 camera,Dazzle dvd creation station 200...... windows XP sp1+more to follow

Well it depends on what you had before, and how you tweaked it.

Also whether it was a clean system or a few years old and cluttered with crap. Also if you had some cheapo realtek nic or similar card/chipset.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Yeah what were you comparing it too?
    To be a fair comparison, take an equally powered Windows 7 PC...same CPU and RAM as the Mac you're comparing to...as well as no antivirus (because I doubt the Mac had one installed out of the box).

Apple computers are more expensive...much of that reason is that they are built on better components...good processors, adequate RAM, better grade hard drives and other components. One of the common mistakes people make when buying a Windows PC...is that they go for the cheaper options....more budget processors, inadequate RAM, cheaper components and hard drives...and then complain that it seems slow compared to a Mac. Build a good quality Windows PCs...yup it does cost about the same as a Mac now...but hey..it also performs very well, and may last quite a few years. "You get what you pay for!"

I just built a photo editing machine for a friend for his daughter...for some of Adobes big suites. 16 gigs of RAM, i7, pair of Western Digital Black Edition hard drives with 64 megs of cache each, graphics card with 1.something gigs of RAM itself....the thing moves around windows faster than you can blink.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

The TCP stack in unix systems is different than Windows systems. It comes optimized out of the box, whereas Windows TCP stack is a bit different. Also, unix based systems are true network layered operating systems, each component built upon more basic layers. In unix systems, networking loads early in the boot process while in Windows it's one of the last things to load at boot.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Certified SG Addict
    I've noticed that all Linux system I've used had internet access that "felt" much faster than those of my Windows systems.

well I am comparing it to the MSI u123 I just got rid of and an HP dv 6xxx running windows xp on both. I do understand about a clean system, but was coming here to see if I can tweak my system with the great tools here , but found I guess I dont need them

or dare I make the dreaded mistake " i can make it go a little faster"
    this equipment list isnt current please ignore MSI kt7 133amobo,AMD Athalon 1Ghz g3Ti200 Pro td 128, 1gig pc133, 2 40gig hd, wireless network,dlink,HP Photsmart 7150,Kodak easyshare ls433 camera,Dazzle dvd creation station 200...... windows XP sp1+more to follow