Thread: Need new wireless router that will let me utilize my 100Mbit up/down connection, HDD.

Need new wireless router that will let me utilize my 100Mbit up/down connection, HDD.

Hi,

I have a 100 Mbit internet connection, upload and download, which tops out at around 95Mbit when I plug directly into the wall ( I don't have a cable modem, I suppose they call this FTTH or FTTN or something like this ). I live in Seoul, South Korea, but will get my router from the USA.

I also have a Netgear 54G router, which limits my downloads and uploads to about 20Mbit down and up. I have read enough to know that routers will slow down the internet speed. BUT, I'm paying for 100Mbit, and would like to utilize the speed. With that said, I am hoping that somebody knowledgeable could recommend a good (yet affordable) router for me to buy.

I would also like the ability to plug in a printer, and print wirelessly, and plug in a HDD to the router and stream music to my computer. My internet use consists of surfing (flash heavy) websites, streaming sites, and torrents. Also would like to run a "home network" to be able to transfer files from one comp to another, but this is not a priority.

I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff, but I'm pretty sure I could set it all up by myself. Would a "N" router be good enough? Or do I need a gigabit router?

Any recommendations for routers? Thanks for your advice!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    A good reference chart by my friend Tim Higgins.....he's done a lot of router performance tests
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/compo...rt/Itemid,189/
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    A good reference chart by my friend Tim Higgins.....he's done a lot of router performance tests
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/compo...rt/Itemid,189/
    this is helpful info - thank you! I was leaning toward the Cisco/Linksys E2000, but looks like it doesn't have a connection for USB. Maybe E3000. The performance test doesn't seem awesome, but those can be subjective. Gotta research more. And look into media servers, or whatever they're called.